Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Music/Movies/Computers/etc. (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/music-movies-computers-etc-/)
-   -   looking at a laptop and i have questions (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/music-movies-computers-etc-/38313-looking-laptop-questions.html)

ben10 07-22-2011 01:58 PM

looking at a laptop and i have questions

so through my company i get like 20-30 percent off a bunch of companies the companies are apple, hp, dell, lenovo, and panisonic. i like mac stuff, but even with my discount its gonna be a grand, so i dont really wanna do that, all the other companies seem to have a laptop that will work in my budget for around 500-600 bucks, any suggestions? oh and by the way anyone need a hook up on them let me know :)

2004xlmiller 07-22-2011 02:09 PM

Re: looking at a laptop and i have questions

do what my parents and i did. we got the deal where i got a new dell laptop, and got the free xbox as well. the xbox went to tristan of course. but it was a great deal. look it up, and if you dont use xbox, sell it.

ben10 07-22-2011 02:13 PM

lol yeah i could do that, i think hp is doing the same thing too. i wouldnt mind having an xbox, dont really play video games but i have a lot of gamer friends, and if i ever get bored i could just log on and fuck with em when they are playing COD hahaha

2004xlmiller 07-22-2011 02:17 PM

exactly dude. and yea hp/dell same thing. PC FTW!

Ranger Sport 07-22-2011 07:24 PM

Screw apple and their overprice junk.

For 600$ canadian you can get a phenom2 quad core or athlon2 quad that'll kick any 2 grand+ apple.

Don't forget that the cpu plays a big part, but so does the video card. Since AMD makes athlon/phenom, but also owns ATI, they made sure both brands work flawlessly.

I personally bought a netbook, and it performs as well as a laptop with its amd cpu/ati video card combo.

Ranger_EDGE 07-22-2011 07:38 PM

i've had my 13" mac book pro for 2 years in september and it is a perfect computer. Even if mr. canada hates it. Its a personal thing. I have only had one problem with it when my cd drive super drive went out last summer and i took it to apple and they replaced it within a hour for free. How the fuck can you beat that? Any pc would have to be send in, then over price you to fix it and ship it then 2 weeks later have your computer back. I have always been a mac guy so its hard to jump ship on them when there computers last over 10 years with no problems. My old mac 0S 8.6 still works even though its out dated to the max!! Bought it back in 1999. My buddies pc tower lasted a year and a half and stopped working. Plus all the virus out there for pc over macs. Yes there is some out there for macs but they are rare to be found on a mac. Plus mac sends the customers out a update once a month to stay ahead of the people who make the virus. Yes mac products cost a lot but in the long run its well worth it. It's like buying oem over after market. Now if you build your own pc then i say hell yea. Just protect any pc with norton or any virus protection program out there. Because you will get hit without it. Just a matter of time

Fightinirish157 07-22-2011 08:20 PM

Amd sucks i have fried 4 of their chips

Ranger Sport 07-22-2011 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger_EDGE (Post 493853)
i've had my 13" mac book pro for 2 years in september and it is a perfect computer. Even if mr. canada hates it. Its a personal thing. I have only had one problem with it when my cd drive super drive went out last summer and i took it to apple and they replaced it within a hour for free. How the fuck can you beat that? Any pc would have to be send in, then over price you to fix it and ship it then 2 weeks later have your computer back. I have always been a mac guy so its hard to jump ship on them when there computers last over 10 years with no problems. My old mac 0S 8.6 still works even though its out dated to the max!! Bought it back in 1999. My buddies pc tower lasted a year and a half and stopped working. Plus all the virus out there for pc over macs. Yes there is some out there for macs but they are rare to be found on a mac. Plus mac sends the customers out a update once a month to stay ahead of the people who make the virus. Yes mac products cost a lot but in the long run its well worth it. It's like buying oem over after market. Now if you build your own pc then i say hell yea. Just protect any pc with norton or any virus protection program out there. Because you will get hit without it. Just a matter of time

Ok let's put it into words mac fanboys understand:

For every mac you buy, i can buy 4 pcs that'll be as powerful or better.

By the way, like it or not, but your mac is a pc now.

Every single one of them.

You lost the war, and that's why macs became so reliable.

Long live pc.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fightinirish157 (Post 493885)
Amd sucks i have fried 4 of their chips

How did you manage that, i've never burnt a chip in my life, and i've had plenty of boxes that ran for months at a time.

Clinton 07-22-2011 08:23 PM

I deal with a guy that rebuilds dell d610's and d810. He does incredible work, I have had mine for over 4 years now without an issue and it is max out in everything you could think of! If you want his info, shoot me a pm. I stand by this guy 100%

Fightinirish157 07-22-2011 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ranger Sport (Post 493887)
Ok let's put it into words mac fanboys understand:

For every mac you buy, i can buy 4 pcs that'll be as powerful or better.

By the way, like it or not, but your mac is a pc now.

Every single one of them.

You lost the war, and that's why macs became so reliable.

Long live pc.

----------

How did you manage that, i've never burnt a chip in my life, and i've had plenty of boxes that ran for months at a time.

Overclocking them..never had an issue with Overclocking the intel chips...

SB03Ranger 07-22-2011 08:31 PM

I'm ording a new XPS from Dell. My dads a comp tech mostly works with them. He's building me a great one. But it's gona b pricy. But Gus thing with him bn a tech my stuff works great lol

Ranger Sport 07-22-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fightinirish157 (Post 493894)
Overclocking them..never had an issue with Overclocking the intel chips...

Because intel chips were locked, save for a very few rare editions ones.
You could "overclock" using the motherboad, but only under safe limits, which wasn't much.

Of course, if you overclock an amd, prepare to cool it down, only an idiot would use the oem heatsinks and fans.

Had a friend who had to keep his motherboard in a minifridge because he went so much higher than the regular specs (he was close to double i think). It ran stable though.

Fightinirish157 07-22-2011 08:46 PM

Cool wasn't an issue and all my intel chips where unlocked...and I over clocked them just as I did the AMDs...IMO AMDs are lesser quality and cheaply made...

MazdaDS 07-22-2011 08:57 PM

yeah it just depends on the purposes you want the computer for to determine how much RAM or how big of a hard drive you need.

If your a gamer, go big or go home...if not, then you dont need the fastest thing out but something that aint slow like a turtle either. Everyone is impatient...

No offense to anyone else, but i do computer repair...and Dell's SUCK! sorry..

HP has really good customer service and there PC's arent bad at all. My recommendation would be HP.

Anyways, good luck..

SB03Ranger 07-22-2011 09:02 PM

[QUOTE=MazdaDS;493939]yeah it just depends on the purposes you want the computer for to determine how much RAM or how big of a hard drive you need.

If your a gamer, go big or go home...if not, then you dont need the fastest thing out but something that aint slow like a turtle either. Everyone is impatient...

No offense to anyone else, but i do computer repair...and Dell's SUCK! sorry..

HP has really good customer service and there PC's arent bad at all. My recommendation would be HP.

Anyways, good luck..[/QUOTt

taking a stab at me and my dell are ya lol jk jk. ah its allbout prefrence i think. get what you want and what you need. what line of work do you do with comp man