Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   could use a little help plz (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/38100-little-help-plz.html)

JeremyMik84 07-19-2011 05:22 PM

could use a little help plz

well for about 6 months now ive been dealing with a random misfire and HORRIBLE gas mileage (approx. 13.5-15 mpg) and major loss of power in my truck. 02 ranger edge 3.0 5 spd. You can also get a STRONG smell of gas coming from the exhaust pipe. I tuned it up and replaced plugs wires coil pack and put a k&n air filter in it and cleared all codes. Also i took it to my local ford dealer and got them to run a compression test that came back good. Well about a week later it came back on and has been on constantly and will come back as a different cylinder(s) misfiring. Somedays the CEL will go away by itself and come back on at another point. I havent replaced my 02 sensor since ive had it and was told today that could be it. Please give me a hand and help me get my baby back runnin like shes supposed to! Thanks.

Sorry for the "story" just wanna give good descriptions.

Fordzilla80 07-19-2011 07:24 PM

Re: could use a little help plz

I'd check into your O2 sensor functions. Also, check into a clog in your exhaust system.

JeremyMik84 07-20-2011 03:43 AM

how do i check the 02 sensor functions and how do i check for the clog?

Christianguy 07-20-2011 05:58 AM

Hook up a computer scanner to your truck
See what code it pulls up
If it's one or all of your o2 sensors , replace them.
(connector is located under you dash next to your hood latch release)

JeremyMik84 07-20-2011 06:23 AM

Once again. The code is MISFIRE

SalRanger2 07-20-2011 06:31 AM

how are the head gaskets

FireRanger 07-20-2011 06:40 AM

Well the first thing I would have suggested is everything you already did. Since you're saying the misfire is happening on difference cylinders all the time, this has to be something wrong with a component common to all cylinders or common to the process of managing fuel and spark in all cylinders.

Does anyone know if the crankshaft position sensor could cause this? It seems like it could. One or more of the oxygen sensors are also possibly faulty.

SalRanger2 07-20-2011 06:43 AM

does the code say which cylinder is missfiring?

FireRanger 07-20-2011 06:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JeremyMik84 (Post 490253)
Well about a week later it came back on and has been on constantly and will come back as a different cylinder(s) misfiring.

SalRanger2 07-20-2011 06:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 490968)

thanks missed that

JeremyMik84 07-20-2011 10:37 AM

Head gaskets are fine as far as I kno, no water in the oil and no smoke from pipe, im gonna try to swap out the 02 sensors from front to back and see how that gos, anyone got an article on how and where they are?
P.s. I have already had the camshaft synch and cam position sensor replaced by dealer.

FireRanger 07-20-2011 10:43 AM

Its unusual for an oxygen sensor to be reading badly enough to cause such poor running. Let me ask you this... On a cold engine, been sitting for a few hours, does it run normal for a few minutes and then start acting up once it is warmed up?

When you first start a cold engine, it is in open-loop mode, which means it is using presets only for managing fuel and spark, and ignoring sensors. Once it warms up to operating temperature, it switches to closed loop and starts using sensors to fine tune itself.

So if it works fine when cold and then goes to shit once warmed up, you can bet it is a sensor problem.

djfllmn 07-20-2011 10:47 AM

surprised nobody mentioned it might be a possible intake/vacuum leak somewhere...that will cause a loss of power problem,running rough problem too

SalRanger2 07-20-2011 12:20 PM

he probly would have a lean code then though right, but it wouldnt hurt to check for vaccuum leaks

FireRanger 07-20-2011 12:23 PM

A vacuum leak would indeed be causing a consistent lean condition on one or both banks. Not an inconsistent misfire.