Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Misc Items (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/misc-items/)
-   -   For Trade: Looking for another Guinea Pig for Testing (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/misc-items/37841-looking-guinea-pig-testing.html)

buggman 07-16-2011 10:49 PM

Looking for another Guinea Pig for Testing

Yup,
I'm looking for someone to give me a hand doing some testing.

I'm getting some new plug-in leds for the newer style gauge clusters' dash illumination as well as for the older style gauge cluster's "idiot light" indicators; turn signal indicators, 4x4 hi/low, battery, etc.

I just don't have the time, energy OR a clean garage to get my truck in to work on, so I'm turning to the FRF'ers to help me out.

If anyone has the ability to easily remove their cluster & would like to help out, please to let me know.

These should be a simple plug-in swap into your old bulb holders, but if they're too long, etc. I'd like to find out how much too long, too big around, etc they are in order to fit without issues as well as how they work under normal operating conditions...with the truck turned off as well as running: Are they bright enough, do they flicker or stay on when they should be off, do they get hot when they're on, etc.
This may require removing the actual gauge "fronts" that should simply pop off the back part of the cluster.

I've tried some "cheap" plug-ins for my idiot lights, but certain applications worked better than others... some of the internal resistors got super hot while some of the led's didn't totally go off when they should have.
These new led's (still waiting on them to arrive) will be similar in size/shape but they'll be a different type of led. I'll test them with my small power supply in the garage at 12v up to 15v before I send them out just to make sure they work at those voltage ranges & that they don't get too hot.
The rest is up to you :)

I probably won't be able to send a complete set of led's, rather a couple of each color that you can swap into the various locations.

For your assistance, I'll give you a really good price on a full set of the led's if you decide you'd like a full set & a super cool "Internet High Five" :cool:

http://i167.photobucket.com/albums/u...20stuff/hi.jpg

Fightinirish157 07-16-2011 10:57 PM

Re: Looking for another Guinea Pig for Testing

I would love too but time does not permit it for me either, good luck with it, I can't wait til I have funds again to get some more mods...hope you are healing up good!! Someone help the MAN out!

pooleo 07-16-2011 11:01 PM

I could prolly help ya out buggman, Ive got my truck already stripped down to test my clusters. It'd be easy for me. Plus, as a fellow led modder, I may have some insight that others may not :p

Fightinirish157 07-16-2011 11:03 PM

What a competitor in the LED business giving a hand to the hand less one!? Both of you do awesome LED work!!! I can't wait to put my cluster in and my OHC with Buggman LED panel...

Demon-FX4 07-16-2011 11:04 PM

this is possible

pooleo 07-16-2011 11:04 PM

^^^lol^^^

buggman 07-16-2011 11:50 PM

Nah, we ain't competitors... Pooleo does the full blown cluster led conversions & I do the lazy/poor guy plug-ins :cool:

If memory serves me correct... pooleo even has one of my led mods on his truck :D

I'll give you a shout when I get the new led's delivered.
It will be a HUGE help having someone who can get to their cluster in their truck quick & easy. I'm afraid every time I take mine out that I'll crack the surround.

retiredstoner 11-23-2011 07:50 PM

i have a 94 would i be any use 2 u?

darksyde 11-23-2011 08:05 PM

I'll help, pm me.

FireRanger22 11-25-2011 05:09 PM

id be more then happy to help. im also interested in picking up a set of led dome lights for a mustang!

buggman 11-25-2011 06:13 PM

Thanks guys,
I forgot to update this thread... Pooleo helped out with the testing & I think the new led's I have should work pretty well :)