Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Cleaning and Detailing (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/cleaning-and-detailing/)
-   -   I screwed up / scratched my paint - need a fix please (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/cleaning-and-detailing/37427-screwed-scratched-paint-fix-please.html)

paintedFX4 07-11-2011 10:58 AM

I screwed up / scratched my paint - need a fix please

i cleaned my truck the right way for the first time (approx 140,000 miles)

washed it

used a 3m green pad to get very stubburn paint off my truck paint.

then I clay bared it.

then did the entire turtle wax black box system to it, by hand (don't own machine)

the truck turned out awesome EXCEPT for the scratched where I scrubbed with the 3m pad.

how do I get rid of those scratches, and what do I use?

thanks!!

05RangerEdge 07-11-2011 11:02 AM

Re: I screwed up / scratched my paint - need a fix please

Pics are prob gonna be needed here...

I would have tried to clay the stubborn paint before I'd ever take a scotch pad to my paint but whats done is done and I am sure if its not TOO bad It can be fixed or at least disguised so you cant see it unless your looking for it. Put some pics up and I am sure some the detail guys will chime in...

TenSilver 07-11-2011 11:23 AM

It sounds like the clear coat is scratched. You could try some Meguiars scratch remover to see if that works. If not then you'll need to use some rubbing compound. Other's with more experience should chime in here shortly.

dixie_boysles 07-11-2011 11:30 AM

WTF, you used a scotch pad to clean your truck? and like 05RangerEdge said, i would have used the clay bar FIRST before anything else. Either way I would not have used a scotch pad....

Go get you some Ultimate compound or ScratchX and an applicator and try getting them out by hand. of not, youll need to take it to a professional detailer and have them buff them out.

EDIT, like Mike said, try ScratchX first, then try the compound.

paintedFX4 07-12-2011 05:34 AM

I'll post pics later. thanks for the reply's. Im sure I only scratched the clearcoat. I will buy the scratchx you recommended and give that a try.

I know the 3m pad was stupid, but i had 6 years of it being a work truck crap stuck to the paint. (paint / caulk / even some concrete). to be honest, i thought the black box would fix it!!

thanks to all

Clinton 07-12-2011 07:00 AM

Pics would help, from what I have dealt with in the past, you may have to wet sand it a bit and re-clear it

DrIftKi7Vg 07-12-2011 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinton (Post 482055)
Pics would help, from what I have dealt with in the past, you may have to wet sand it a bit and re-clear it

Agreed!

paintedFX4 07-12-2011 07:57 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Here are the pictures of the scratches. one is on drivers door, the other on my tailgate.

DrIftKi7Vg 07-12-2011 08:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintedFX4 (Post 482073)
Here are the pictures of the scratches. one is on drivers door, the other on my tailgate.

That is simple to take out. All you need is some Meguiars Ultimate compound and a lot of elbow grease and simply put the compound on and rub away really hard and really fast. Then polish it out with a microfiber towel. If that doesn't work, maybe try a second coat of the compound and if it's still there, then what you need to do is get a 2000 grit wet sand paper and gently wet sand the area (very lightly). You don't want to take too much of your clear coat off the truck. Then after that is done, dry the area up and put on again some Meguiars Ultimate compound and work that stuff in the area and it will come up and your paint finish will be free from scratches! Good luck!

paintedFX4 07-12-2011 08:34 AM

thanks!!

I'll try it and post results.

GAROUTTE78 07-12-2011 08:52 AM

Nows the perfect time to take it to a shop and have them buff and foam pad the entire truck. Doin it by hand is like pissin in the wind.

DrIftKi7Vg 07-12-2011 09:00 AM

He just wants that one spot done. Why take it to the shop, pay the amount of money they would charge just to do that one spot and the whole entire truck which is unnecessary. All he needs to do is that one spot by hand and he's good to go saving him a lot of money along the way!

05RangerEdge 07-12-2011 07:17 PM

Sucks about the scratch but I must say the rest of the paint looks pretty damn good!

via DroidX (Tapatalk)

paintedFX4 07-21-2011 05:49 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I used the meguires ultimate you guys recommended. It worked great!!

DrIftKi7Vg 07-21-2011 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by paintedFX4 (Post 492111)
I used the meguires ultimate you guys recommended. It worked great!!

Good job man! Came out real good!