Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exterior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/)
-   -   Cops and tinted lights (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exterior-tech/36772-cops-tinted-lights.html)

Rangerdanger128 07-01-2011 11:53 PM

Cops and tinted lights

Has anyone had problems with the cops giving them tickets for tinted tail lights. I live in Wisconsin. It's illegal but do cops really bug you about it?
I wanna tint mine but I really don't wanna be pulled over.

2004xlmiller 07-02-2011 12:08 AM

Re: Cops and tinted lights

my friend devin did it to his ranger and got pulled over, for doin 75 in a 55. but the cop really threw the book at him and wrote him a ticket for the lights also.

ranger101 07-02-2011 06:28 AM

As long as they're not retarded dark. Mine have a "medium" tint I'd say and I've never had a single problem.

djfllmn 07-02-2011 06:34 AM

yea just dont go overboard with the tint...just a very light tint will be fine

MaxValle 07-02-2011 07:03 AM

even too, you could tint them a little darker and just drive with your lights on. my buddy does that with his lancer and doest have a single problem

personally, i havent had a cop say a single word to me

01B3000 07-02-2011 07:06 AM

Make sure you can still see the color through the tint. Hats always a good way to know when its too tintedor not.

Decepticon 07-02-2011 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MaxValle (Post 472294)
even too, you could tint them a little darker and just drive with your lights on. my buddy does that with his lancer and doest have a single problem

personally, i havent had a cop say a single word to me

X2 I keep the drive lights in to be safe

edgeman4.0 07-02-2011 07:37 AM

I had mine blacked out for over 3 years.. not one problem.

TerrenceStuart 07-02-2011 08:15 AM

it's up to two things
1. how dark you tint them
2. if the cops are "checking" for any illegaly modified vehicles.
I personally like the simple tinted tail light "covers" (I don't currently have any on my truck) because if a cop does stop you, you can just remove them and maybe get out of a ticket.

TBarr 07-02-2011 01:29 PM

1 Attachment(s)
mine are almost completely black and i haven't had any problems. i also have my head lights smoked with no problems

01_ranger_4x4 07-02-2011 01:54 PM

If youre worried about getting a ticket than I wouldnt tint them if I were you. I personally hate tinted lights not because I dont like the looks of them but because I hate being behind someone on the road with tinted tails, I dont care how lightly you tint them the light output is still diminished to a point. I was behind a truck the other day that had tails so dark you couldnt even see his brake lights so I know in heavy rain or snow his tail lights will never be seen nor his brake lights and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that is a giant safety hazard. Sometimes you need to choose function over form. Just my 2 penny's.

407Ford 07-02-2011 02:15 PM

I got pulled over the day after I did mine.In Fl it can be up to $114 per light in the housing(alot of cops in my fam). Its illegal because you cover the refectors up, doesn't matter how dark it is. If you do it don't park on dark busy roads at night lol

Pasco08 07-02-2011 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 (Post 472689)
If youre worried about getting a ticket than I wouldnt tint them if I were you. I personally hate tinted lights not because I dont like the looks of them but because I hate being behind someone on the road with tinted tails, I dont care how lightly you tint them the light output is still diminished to a point. I was behind a truck the other day that had tails so dark you couldnt even see his brake lights so I know in heavy rain or snow his tail lights will never be seen nor his brake lights and it doesnt take a rocket scientist to know that is a giant safety hazard. Sometimes you need to choose function over form. Just my 2 penny's.

x2

2003fordranger1 07-02-2011 02:45 PM

yeah i just tinted my tails and i use 20% static cling film on them and im in fresno so will i most likely get pulled over or no

Finn611 07-02-2011 09:49 PM

I have had mine tinted for over a year now without any problems. I used vht nightshadeand did 3 coats instead of the recommended 5. But I didn't tint my third break light so that's still bright