Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Can I DIY tranny service? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/36700-diy-tranny-service.html)

wilcom 06-30-2011 09:10 PM

Can I DIY tranny service?

I have a 2007 Ranger with 2.3 and 5 speed automatic. I just turned over 100K miles with no problems other than a MAS sensor at 77K. Gas and oil for 100 K miles. I put in new plugs & wires at 99K miles. The original Continental tires lasted to 88K miles and still would make a track.

I need to have the tranny serviced. Fluid looks bright and shiney but 100k is 100k .. my question....... is there anything in there to adjust or is the shop going to change the fluid and filter and take my $100. If there is nothing to do except change the fluid , I can do that. But if its techy stuff I'll let the Guru's do it.

Thanks

Joe
Riverside, ca

pooleo 06-30-2011 09:13 PM

Re: Can I DIY tranny service?

You can do it yourself and know its done right and save some coin. Prolly just draining and fresh fluid is all it will need. Make sure to get the merc V if thats what there still taking

Rango88 06-30-2011 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wilcom (Post 470749)
I have a 2007 Ranger with 2.3 and 5 speed automatic. I just turned over 100K miles with no problems other than a MAS sensor at 77K. Gas and oil for 100 K miles. I put in new plugs & wires at 99K miles. The original Continental tires lasted to 88K miles and still would make a track.

I need to have the tranny serviced. Fluid looks bright and shiney but 100k is 100k .. my question....... is there anything in there to adjust or is the shop going to change the fluid and filter and take my $100. If there is nothing to do except change the fluid , I can do that. But if its techy stuff I'll let the Guru's do it.

Thanks

Joe
Riverside, ca

I'd just do the fluid and filter change

richarddhoward 06-30-2011 09:17 PM

Yes you can do the service yourself. But unless you have several gallons of fluid to run through the transmission you will not get all the fluid. Also make sure you don't get atf on paint...it eats it lol By just draining the fluid you are not going to get what is in the torque converter, but if all you are doing is wanting change the majority of it, and you change it at a regular interval from now on, I wouldn't worry about doing this at all.

Twisty 06-30-2011 09:27 PM

I installed a drain plug when I had the pan off - makes it easy to drain a few quarts at a time.
I also installed a B&M remote filter kit because I tow.

richarddhoward 06-30-2011 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisty (Post 470817)
I installed a drain plug when I had the pan off - makes it easy to drain a few quarts at a time.
I also installed a B&M remote filter kit because I tow.

What's that kit name...I want it lol

Not kit name...part number and where did you get it

Twisty 06-30-2011 09:33 PM

They are both from B&M, I ordered them at Baxters auto parts store.
You didn't say "please" so I am not going to give you the part # until you ask nicely...;)

richarddhoward 06-30-2011 09:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisty (Post 470837)
They are both from B&M, I ordered them at Baxters auto parts store.
You didn't say "please" so I am not going to give you the part # until you ask nicely...;)

Lol Please? One of my best friends works at Baxters back home

Twisty 06-30-2011 09:36 PM

Here is a little thread I posted;
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drive...tallation.html

richarddhoward 06-30-2011 09:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisty (Post 470861)

Thanks

Twisty 06-30-2011 09:43 PM

You are welcome!

richarddhoward 06-30-2011 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisty (Post 470898)
You are welcome!

I wouldn't worry about protecting it there, I think it's pretty well covered, but not a bad idea

Twisty 06-30-2011 09:51 PM

It's a habit I learned from my Dad - you don't get very far w/o fluid in the tranny.
I've thrown a wheel weight at 70 mph and I drive around in the woods often.
You did notice the dent in the can, didn't you?
It was not there when I installed it!

richarddhoward 06-30-2011 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisty (Post 470938)
It's a habit I learned from my Dad - you don't get very far w/o fluid in the tranny.
I've thrown a wheel weight at 70 mph and I drive around in the woods often.
You did notice the dent in the can, didn't you?
It was not there when I installed it!

Lol touche, so maybe you do! I have the TJM bumper, I'm not to worried about it. And if all goes as planned there is a skid plate up front in the works

Twisty 06-30-2011 10:04 PM

Have fun!