Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   wiring CB and PA systems together! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/36595-wiring-cb-pa-systems.html)

tmoore78 06-29-2011 05:09 PM

wiring CB and PA systems together!

So I have been googling and searching forums for about a week now.
I have a CB radio with the PA output. I also have a PA system with the horn that plays tunes/animal noises/sirens that came with a cheap-o mic.
What I want to do is wire the two together so I can use my CB mic to play through the PA system.
In other terms: flip the CB to PA mode. turn on PA system. and be able to talk through the PA speaker with my CB mic.

I have both wired and working separately, but when i turn the CB to PA mode, I get severe static/feedback from the PA speaker. What are your thoughts on wiring them together? Do you think it's possible?

FireRanger 06-29-2011 05:14 PM

Re: wiring CB and PA systems together!

If you connect the PA output from the CB to the mic input of the noisemaker, it will fry.

What do you mean the CB's PA makes static?

407Ford 06-29-2011 05:19 PM

I had a cb that would play the cb channel though the pa everytime I used it...try turning the sq all the way

tmoore78 06-29-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 468773)
If you connect the PA output from the CB to the mic input of the noisemaker, it will fry.

What do you mean the CB's PA makes static?

Thats what i did :( When i did that, all i get from the horn is feedback/static

FireRanger 06-29-2011 05:26 PM

So you hot wired the PA output into the noisemaker's microphone input?

tmoore78 06-29-2011 05:31 PM

yes

FireRanger 06-29-2011 05:40 PM

Well that is not going to work unless you want to build a circuit to convert the speaker output to a mic level input and reduce the power.

So I think the better thing to do is just ditch the noisemaker mic and use the CB as your voice PA.

tmoore78 06-29-2011 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 468814)
Well that is not going to work unless you want to build a circuit to convert the speaker output to a mic level input and reduce the power.

So I think the better thing to do is just ditch the noisemaker mic and use the CB as your voice PA.

that's what I needed to know! your awesome!! I knew there was something I was missing.

I didnt think of this. paralleling the speaker to both outputs but only using one unit at a time. do you thinkthat would work?

FireRanger 06-29-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tmoore78 (Post 468817)
that's what I needed to know! your awesome!! I knew there was something I was missing.

I didnt think of this. paralleling the speaker to both outputs but only using one unit at a time. do you thinkthat would work?

Connecting the output of one audio amplifier to the output of another audio amplifier usually doesn't work right. At best it will screw with the sound. At worst, you'll burn up the other unit.

tmoore78 06-29-2011 06:04 PM

ok. i didn't know even if the other was turned off it would mess with it. Technically the (off) and (on) unit would be connected together, so i see what your saying
thanks!

FireRanger 06-29-2011 06:05 PM

Well it may or may not. You can try it.