Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   anyone commuting to work with high miles on your ranger? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/36593-commuting-miles-ranger.html)

mopar9012 06-29-2011 04:58 PM

anyone commuting to work with high miles on your ranger?

So i guess this is kind of a thread looking for some encouragement.

Im just wondering if anyone out there is putting a lot of miles on their ranger weekly with already high miles? and are you looking into getting a new truck or sticking with the ranger?

Im 20, cant afford a new vehicle till probably next year. I have 185K on the ranger with a slight oil leak. I put in about half a bottle in 3 weeks and the tranny is worn in but I do accelerate slow trying to avoid any transmission problems. I drive about 250 highway miles a week. I do baby my truck and try to take care of it. I just put new u-joint in, cam sync has been replaced, stopped the antifreeze leak and about to put new calipars on it.

I dont really want a new truck, I like how I dont have to make payents but my mileage concerns me when Im not in a good position to get a newer vehicle.

djfllmn 06-29-2011 05:02 PM

Re: anyone commuting to work with high miles on your ranger?

well with it being highway miles i wouldnt worry too much...they are the best miles to put on a vehicle

evilranger96 06-29-2011 05:02 PM

yes i just bought a used 96 ranger with 226000 miles on it. the guy said most was highway mile to va for work and the motor runs quiet and its still strong i barked tires in second today

Clinton 06-29-2011 05:03 PM

I commute 62 miles to work one way. I take the ranger from time to time to run it, but my dailey driver is an 05 hyundai tucson and I'm almost at 140k on it. In my opinion, I am keeping what I have and if something breaks, I fix it no matter what because I dont want to be locked in a 4-5 year payment plan. Just keep up with your maintenance, Learn how to do it yourself (get a Chilton book) and keep up with it and you should be ok.

djfllmn 06-29-2011 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinton (Post 468758)
I commute 62 miles to work one way. I take the ranger from time to time to run it, but my dailey driver is an 05 hyundai tucson and I'm almost at 140k on it. In my opinion, I am keeping what I have and if something breaks, I fix it no matter what because I dont want to be locked in a 4-5 year payment plan. Just keep up with your maintenance, Learn how to do it yourself (get a Chilton book) and keep up with it and you should be ok.

holy cow! where the hell do you work lol

HazardousRanger 06-29-2011 05:05 PM

i commute 48 miles to school almost everyday and go to the same area...literally everyday lol i just hit 100k a few days ago already at 100347 miles

BCobe 06-29-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinton (Post 468758)

This. Any car can be a P.O.S. at any Milage IMO. Its all about how you take care of it. My Ranger has about 90k on it and it runs like a champ. Needs a new belt and some other things but other than that I keep up with everything. Im also about to do a good milage trip. Mabey 3000ish over all.

djfllmn 06-29-2011 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BCobe (Post 468761)
This. Any car can be a P.O.S. at any Milage IMO. Its all about how you take care of it. My Ranger has about 90k on it and it runs like a champ. Needs a new belt and some other things but other than that I keep up with everything.

:withstupid:

cacher 06-29-2011 05:09 PM

199,888, and sticking with it.

BCobe 06-29-2011 05:12 PM

To this day I wish I would have gotten a picture of it for proof but when I worked as a detailer for a Ford dealership a first gen Ranger came in with 300K. Started up and drove fine. The Mid West winters beat the body a bit but running wise it was good. Guy ended up trading it in for another Ranger.

mopar9012 06-29-2011 05:15 PM

cacher,

do you have any leaks on the truck?

Clinton 06-29-2011 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfllmn (Post 468759)
holy cow! where the hell do you work lol

Its a little place I call HELL! I sold my soul for this job

djfllmn 06-29-2011 05:31 PM

lol sounds a lot like where i work lol

Clinton 06-29-2011 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by djfllmn (Post 468803)
lol sounds a lot like where i work lol

Yeah I'm sure its in alot of places. I'm just grateful to be a boss at my job...it can be run like a regime!!

S13minus1 06-29-2011 05:46 PM

1n under 1 year 1've put twenty-tw0 th0usand 0n my truck, l0l