Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Introduce Yourself (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/)
-   -   Hi from Sean with a 2002 fx4 and looking for lift wisdom! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/introduce-yourself/36231-hi-sean-2002-fx4-looking-lift-wisdom.html)

Sean02fx4 06-23-2011 11:02 PM

Hi from Sean with a 2002 fx4 and looking for lift wisdom!

Hey everybody! Im Sean and I have a 2002 ranger fx4 4.0 with a 5 speed manual transmission and is of course 4x4. Ill only bore you shortly with my personal crap then its on to truck business.

Personal crap. Im Sean a 20 year old kid out in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado. My hobbies are hunting, fishing, camping, and off roading to get to any of the previous activities. Im currently in training to become a USAF Pararescueman and when Im not swimming, running, or lifting Im out forging my own path through the Rockies!

Truck Business. I have a stock 02 fx4 and Im pretty sure I want to go with a 3 in body lift and would like to find a 6 in suspension lift but my research has currently not yeilded any suspension kits that fit the bill. After that Ill be looking for some bigger and more aggressive tires and more heavy duty bumpers and rocker panels and skid plate for pretty much everything under my truck. I have a fair amount of mechanical knowledge but pretty much all of my mechanical knowledge is limited to engine maintence and modification and minor electrical tinkering.

Dream Mod. Eventually I would like to do a 4bt conversion on my truck. I have seen that there was a 3.0L diesel they made for the ranger but I dont know any of the specs on it or the availability and pricing. I know this diesel madness will take a lot of time and expense but what wrong with dreaming eh? Another alternative Ive been looking at is supercharging the 4.0 I have but from my research it seems to yeild minimum gains at a maximum of expense.

I know im asking for a lot of knowledge but any answers, ideas, or tid bits of information would be helpful and even a howdy friend would be more than welcome! Thanks for your time and hopefully Ill gain the experience to be a helpful contributor to the site.

2004xlmiller 06-23-2011 11:05 PM

Re: Hi from Sean with a 2002 fx4 and looking for lift wisdom!

welcome to FRF! a body lift and 33s are the way to go, get some aggressive mud terrains.

Dcrymes99ranger 06-23-2011 11:28 PM

Welcome to FRF!!!!

rstangboi 06-23-2011 11:41 PM

if you go with more than a body lift your only option is a superlift (1400 ifs lift 4-5" of lift depending) or a solid axle swap (lots of cutting)

welcome

Sean02fx4 06-24-2011 12:48 AM

I would be extremely interested in a solid axle swap but I need to do much more research before even considering it. Also Im a DIY kinda guy and I dont know what all fabrication and welding and the like would go into it. Cutting Im good at, but putting the pieces back together may be a problem for me. At the same time I know I could install a 4 in ifs suspension lift myself and with the 3in body lift as well I could probably run 35 12.50s and be as off road capable as I want to be but Im slightly worried about durability cause I am definately not as nice to the trails or my truck as some my be and Im a little worried about the extra weight of the tires and the steeper angle on the cv joints. But at this point in time Im just looking to balance the pros, cons, and cost of each option so any pointers on which routes are viable would be deeply appreciated.

Rango88 06-24-2011 02:47 AM

welcome to frf

2004 fx4 level II 06-24-2011 03:59 AM

welcome to FRF!!

TerrenceStuart 06-24-2011 06:35 AM

welcome to FRF, Sean!

StealthRanger 06-24-2011 06:53 AM

Welcome to FRF!

rstangboi 06-24-2011 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sean02fx4 (Post 463110)
I would be extremely interested in a solid axle swap but I need to do much more research before even considering it. Also Im a DIY kinda guy and I dont know what all fabrication and welding and the like would go into it. Cutting Im good at, but putting the pieces back together may be a problem for me. At the same time I know I could install a 4 in ifs suspension lift myself and with the 3in body lift as well I could probably run 35 12.50s and be as off road capable as I want to be but Im slightly worried about durability cause I am definately not as nice to the trails or my truck as some my be and Im a little worried about the extra weight of the tires and the steeper angle on the cv joints. But at this point in time Im just looking to balance the pros, cons, and cost of each option so any pointers on which routes are viable would be deeply appreciated.

imo if your considering a sas....just do your research....stack up on parts and do that.

i did a superlift then a sas.....the superlift woulda payed for my axles.

Sean02fx4 06-24-2011 02:46 PM

thanks a bunch I think thats the route Ill end up going for suspension, but any takes on body lifts? worth the money and time or not really?

Clinton 06-24-2011 04:20 PM

Welcome

Christianguy 06-24-2011 04:40 PM

Welcome!

STL 06-24-2011 06:17 PM

Welcome to FRF