Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Ford installed bed liner (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/35425-ford-installed-bed-liner.html)

JesuSaves 06-12-2011 06:45 AM

Ford installed bed liner

Does anyone have one of these? They are offered at the dealership for $399 installed, and they owe me one, but I can't find any info as to what it is like.

HazardousRanger 06-12-2011 06:46 AM

Re: Ford installed bed liner

i think it is just a drop in bedliner which suck anyway imo

STL 06-12-2011 06:51 AM

Ya the drop in ones or not coo. Water will collect under it and rust the bed out.

mickblock 06-12-2011 07:47 AM

They are meant to protect the bed from scratches and dings but they do trap water which defeats the purpose. Plus they lack any measure of traction.

Fordzilla80 06-12-2011 09:36 AM

If you properly seal the drop in liners then the fear of water intrusion isn't warranted. But Ford does not properly seal the liners, so from factory there is a great risk of water intrusion.

mickblock 06-12-2011 03:16 PM

And they look like tupperware.

Rango88 06-12-2011 03:20 PM

boo, bed mat for thye win, $94 for mine.

Fordzilla80 06-12-2011 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickblock (Post 451513)
And they look like tupperware.

Spray and roll-on bed liners look like a giant chalkboard made love with the bed floor and the "protective covering" is the ejaculate. :eek:

HazardousRanger 06-12-2011 03:25 PM

still better than a drop in ^

JesuSaves 06-13-2011 04:45 AM

Well, darn, I already paid for the liner in my contract. I think I'll keep it just until I pay the truck off in a couple of years and then take it out and get a mat, unless I can get them to seal it. They say the new liners are supposed to have some kind of air flow thing going on to prevent mold, I'm wondering how that works...

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 451275)
If you properly seal the drop in liners then the fear of water intrusion isn't warranted. But Ford does not properly seal the liners, so from factory there is a great risk of water intrusion.

I'm going to try and get them to seal it since its being done in the service department, not coming from the factory.

TenSilver 06-13-2011 07:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rango88 (Post 451524)
boo, bed mat for thye win, $94 for mine.

I have a bed mat as well. It was $60 for me.

Someone once told me years ago to be sure and take out my drop in bed liner once or twice a year to wash and wax the bed. Doing this would also helps me keep check on any rust forming in the bed.

I never did do it though. :D

doyouquaxu 06-13-2011 10:05 AM

my drop in liner trapped water, and even warped in the sun so it wouldn't sit flat anymore. no traction like stated, no matter what i put back there it would slide around. i took that SOB out as soon as possible and cut it up.

Rango88 06-13-2011 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesuSaves (Post 452147)
Well, darn, I already paid for the liner in my contract. I think I'll keep it just until I pay the truck off in a couple of years and then take it out and get a mat, unless I can get them to seal it. They say the new liners are supposed to have some kind of air flow thing going on to prevent mold, I'm wondering how that works...

----------

I'm going to try and get them to seal it since its being done in the service department, not coming from the factory.

have that request written down, that way if your bed starts to rust and you find out they didnt seal it then you can go after ford for it

Nothing but Fords 06-13-2011 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JesuSaves (Post 451183)
Does anyone have one of these? They are offered at the dealership for $399 installed, and they owe me one, but I can't find any info as to what it is like.

Do you want your truck to look like this ? http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...N/P1011374.jpg (1 yr time frame)

Fordzilla80 06-13-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nothing but Fords (Post 452279)
Do you want your truck to look like this ? http://i1127.photobucket.com/albums/...N/P1011374.jpg (1 yr time frame)

If you were to go with a spray in or roll-on liner, then you'd never see the paint of your bed again anyway, and to remove the spray on or roll on bed liner would cause much more damage than a drop in liner. The damage caused by a drop in liner is always reversible, while a spray or roll on bed liner is never reversible.