Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   8-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/8-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   350 SBC In a Ranger..... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/8-cylinder-tech/35268-350-sbc-ranger.html)

knightmare1015 06-09-2011 12:56 PM

350 SBC In a Ranger.....

What do you guys think about me putting in a 350 Small Block Chevy in my ranger? The reason I ask, is because the 5.0 thing has been done to death, and I have easier access to this engine as well. I also wish to do something a little different as well. Summit Racing also has a kit for the ranger's counter part, the S10. The oil pan looks like a huge "L" and they have alot of header applications that can be used along with a complete kit that I'm interested in. It also includes a specially made radiator for this application. This is for economic purposes concerning the parts and engines.

Roadkill 06-09-2011 01:38 PM

Re: 350 SBC In a Ranger.....

go for it, the 350 sbc is a darn good engine in my opinion. I had a 1989 suburban with one and it was always very reliable, my brother has one in his truck and never had any problems, and my dad has had several of them without problems. They don't get as good of mpg as the 5.0 though, the best I ever got on the high way was about 12 in my burban. My dad has got up to 16 or 17 in his f150. It would be a lot more unique than a ranger with a 5.0 as well.

wyman00 06-09-2011 02:51 PM

I bought a parts truck from a guy and was told that it used to have a small block chevy in it. He had a 4" homemade body lift and still had to beat the firewall in a few places. I have a transmission crossmember with an adapter for the chevy trans and a drive shaft also if you are interested.

knightmare1015 06-09-2011 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Roadkill (Post 448773)
go for it, the 350 sbc is a darn good engine in my opinion. I had a 1989 suburban with one and it was always very reliable, my brother has one in his truck and never had any problems, and my dad has had several of them without problems. They don't get as good of mpg as the 5.0 though, the best I ever got on the high way was about 12 in my burban. My dad has got up to 16 or 17 in his f150. It would be a lot more unique than a ranger with a 5.0 as well.

A kool response man. yeah I am going for it. I just hope that no "purist" comes in here and screws this idea all up. Plus I got some of the best news that I have not had in over a year and a half today. I've had a 350 SBC before and I installed it in an S10. Even though an exfriend of mine totaled it the engine fired right up, even after the accident which told me a story about that motor.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyman00 (Post 448821)
I bought a parts truck from a guy and was told that it used to have a small block chevy in it. He had a 4" homemade body lift and still had to beat the firewall in a few places. I have a transmission crossmember with an adapter for the chevy trans and a drive shaft also if you are interested.

Oh I'm interested. I'd rather get something off a member from here than order it from a company which could take forever. Speedway Motors offers quite a few things to that concern this. So any help I can get is greatly appreciated. Plus to make things even sweeter, I got some of the best news I've had in over a year and a half today.

RAT Ranger 06-09-2011 08:53 PM

What kinda blasfomy are you tryin to create here?????:eek:

Why would you take a perfectly good SBC & put it a Ranger?????:confused:

VVVVV:rolleyes:

Now that I've got your ATTENTION, build the BASTARD!!!

knightmare1015 06-09-2011 09:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAT Ranger (Post 449310)
What kinda blasfomy are you tryin to create here?????:eek:

Why would you take a perfectly good SBC & put it a Ranger?????:confused:

VVVVV:rolleyes:

Now that I've got your ATTENTION, build the BASTARD!!!

L.O.L, ok now. I intend to do just that. Now that I got a $15.00 buck an hour job it will be done. Friggin purist, L.O.L.

RAT Ranger 06-09-2011 09:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightmare1015 (Post 449324)
L.O.L, ok now. I intend to do just that. Now that I got a $15.00 buck an hour job it will be done. Friggin purist, L.O.L.

=======================
Sig my man, sig VVVVVVV

FordDude1991 06-09-2011 10:14 PM

im a purist, lol, but its your truck not mine, make it your own bro! :)

wyman00 06-10-2011 03:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightmare1015 (Post 448969)
Oh I'm interested. I'd rather get something off a member from here than order it from a company which could take forever. Speedway Motors offers quite a few things to that concern this. So any help I can get is greatly appreciated. Plus to make things even sweeter, I got some of the best news I've had in over a year and a half today.

Get with me through a pm when you are ready and I will send you some pics of the stuff and congrats on the good news. It's nice to get some every now and then!

drppdyllwrngr 06-10-2011 03:57 AM

I've been considering doing this as well. My mom is cleaning out the rest of my dad's stuff (passed away 12 years ago) and there is a 383 stroker motor sitting in the garage. It may just find it's way into a ranger.

knightmare1015 06-10-2011 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RAT Ranger (Post 449332)
=======================
Sig my man, sig VVVVVVV

I'd thought I would make a little fun, L.O.L.

Quote:

Originally Posted by FordDude1991 (Post 449383)
im a purist, lol, but its your truck not mine, make it your own bro! :)

Oh yeah. I'd thought I would throw some humor out there a bit. I intend to make it my own, cause that's what it's all about. Having fun while doing this, and sharing it with a few of my forum buddies. It also gives me the oppurtunity to share any and all info concerning this project with others that may want to attempt a go at it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by wyman00 (Post 449437)
Get with me through a pm when you are ready and I will send you some pics of the stuff and congrats on the good news. It's nice to get some every now and then!

I might just do that because this won't be easy by any means. I hear you on the news bit. That's the best news that I've had in over a year and a half. Especially with all of the crap that has been going on as of late.

Quote:

Originally Posted by drppdyllwrngr (Post 449441)
I've been considering doing this as well. My mom is cleaning out the rest of my dad's stuff (passed away 12 years ago) and there is a 383 stroker motor sitting in the garage. It may just find it's way into a ranger.

That's not bad idea right there. That's about the only thing that GM has that I would buy, crate engines. They have so many and they're super easy to work on and for sure easy to get parts for. That's really the only reason I'm looking at this engine to be honest. Plus it's something different than the usual run of the mill stuff as well. And best of all, I know I can rely on this engine for y daily driver. I also have a few plans concering the technical aspects of it as well.

drppdyllwrngr 06-10-2011 11:35 AM

Mine isn't a crate motor. was in a street rod 20 years ago. been sitting pretty much since.

knightmare1015 06-10-2011 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drppdyllwrngr (Post 449629)
Mine isn't a crate motor. was in a street rod 20 years ago. been sitting pretty much since.

Yeah I know man. I was just trying to make a point really as to why I chose this engine.

01B3000 06-10-2011 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by knightmare1015 (Post 448744)
What do you guys think about me putting in a 350 Small Block Chevy in my ranger?

The old ford makes it, chevy shakes it shit? Go for it, im looking forward to seeing the results

knightmare1015 06-11-2011 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01B3000 (Post 449755)
The old ford makes it, chevy shakes it shit? Go for it, im looking forward to seeing the results

Oh I am. I've already got someone to do it for me. Marion Automotive Group (GM dealership that actually knows what it's doing) has ASE master techs working there. They said they'd do it if I got the engine. The only thing I'll ask is if I can take some pictures while they do it. I have considered this route because of my mobility issues, and the lack of certain tools needed to perform this task.