Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/34982-checking-rangers-ive-found.html)

C C 06-05-2011 06:14 PM

Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

The names Cory, and i'm 17 years old. This will be my 4th car that i'm looking to buy. Selling my VW and coming back to the ford world. I had a lifted 93 ford bronco with 35's and a hell of a exhaust leak :mad: and got a nice 9mpg on the 351w. Thats my story.

Checked out a gold ranger today with 175k miles and just about 80k on the tranny. Its the 3.0 v6 and am just wondering if i am going to have to worry about one of these??
I'll just direct you to the link and let me know what you think.
http://portland.craigslist.org/clc/cto/2420548085.html
the problems:
-tail gate when open the right side comes off
-passenger handle to adjust the back broke off
-has only one seat in the back
-cat rattles he said something about the honey comb in it broke when the tranny was installed

i will be towing a boat that ranges from 16-20 feet probably nothing weighing more than 3k pounds.

anything i gotta be prepared for if this is the vehicle i choose to buy? is this a lot of miles? He has paperwork for all the work thats been done and paperwork for regular oil changes. Coilpacks have been done.

next i have this
http://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/cto/2416444539.html

can't really get a response from the owner, although i did email him just earlier today.

thanks for all the help
I'm a new member

Twisty 06-05-2011 06:23 PM

Re: Been checking out rangers and here is what i've found...

For towing, I suggest the truck up north with the 4.0.
Don't know why, I just get a creepy feeling about the one down here.
I tow a 2600 lb camp trailer and enjoy the torqy 4.0

jacobxstanley 06-05-2011 06:24 PM

Thats a good amount of miles, if it has been maintained properly there shouldnt really be problems with the engine.
IMHO theres better rangers out there for equal prices, keep lookin.

HIGH TECH REDNECK 06-05-2011 06:26 PM

mines for sale

HazardousRanger 06-05-2011 06:27 PM

i would get the 2nd one over the first one

C C 06-05-2011 06:46 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys. I've searched a lot around the oregon area and these are the better of what i've found
If you want you can search the portland area for me and show me whatcha come up with. I am looking for an extended cab and 4x4. Thats really all i want, color isn't too important.

i like the 3.0 because i feel like it will get better gas mileage than the 4.0 but if it won't tow the boat then i guess a 4.0. I like the gold one because it will give me a couple things to learn :D
I have a budget of 5 because i need money to spend on my boat too

HazardousRanger 06-05-2011 06:51 PM

it will tow the boat but 4.0 gets about the same mpg as the 3.0

Fordzilla80 06-05-2011 06:59 PM

If you want gas mileage from a Ranger, you're looking at a 2002+ 2.3 DOHC. I'd look for a 4.0. The 3.0 is so underpowered it's not even funny.

DHEM 06-05-2011 07:49 PM

3.0's are known as 3.slo's, and get the mpg of a 4.0. The thing I hate most of my Ranger, is the engine. Really wished i would have just went with the 2.3. In your case, you should find a 4.0.

TerrenceStuart 06-05-2011 08:52 PM

get the 2001+ 4.0 sohc. you'll love it

C C 06-05-2011 10:10 PM

If i could afford a new model i would buy one.. but i have no more than 5k to spend.

ColinS 06-05-2011 10:12 PM

i got a 4.0l and i must say HOLY SHIT!! its a beast and has torque like all get our and right now i'm gettin the mileage of my old 2.3l

TerrenceStuart 06-05-2011 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C C (Post 444511)
If i could afford a new model i would buy one.. but i have no more than 5k to spend.

If you were refering to my post, I said 2001+ not 2011.

bryanh 06-05-2011 11:35 PM

I got a 99 4x4 4 door for 3,270; had 150k on it, tranny flashing a code, I did my mileage and it turn out to be around 16 mpg, so I would say keep looking. It took me about a month to find this truck, but overall I am super happy with her, I think I can get a new transmission in her for under blue book, the deals are out there if you can stand to wait. My pop is a mechanic and his friends at the shop all said that the 3.0 is a bad option, no power and bad mileage, I really thing you should go for a 4.0 for towing. Of course thats just my 2 cents. I found lots of 8 cyl trucks that would tow like crazy in my price range (was 4,500) and I will be getting a big bad mutha for my next truck so I can tow my toys.

Good luck to you and keep all of us posted on your decision.

Oh ya, after thinking about it, don't let the light mods influence your decision, you will be doing stuff like that anyway (proof is cause you are posting on this forum) and if you go for the 4.0 turn it into a point of negation...."I have been looking at lots of trucks that get way better gas mileage, but if you are willing to come down on the price a bit I may consider your truck....." that is what I did and it worked.

again good luck...

pooleo 06-06-2011 07:42 AM

I think I would shop around and snag a 4.0.