Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   Ignition module location on 1991 3.0 (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/3471-ignition-module-location-1991-3-0-a.html)

Eagle23 10-17-2009 03:40 PM

Ignition module location on 1991 3.0

Hi folks,

New member here with a question.

I have a '91 Ranger 3.0 I am replacing the ignition module on. Well, it isn't on the distributor...so where is it? Some literature says it's on the distributor but that would seem to vary by engine.

I have come to suspect the module is iffy as I have idle problems that are inconsistent. Idle will be fine for a bit then suddenly start knocking, then stops if I blip the throttle, turn on or off the AC, etc. You get the idea. If this doesn't work the next step is replacing the computer. Idle air control helped, TPS helped, etc., etc but some on-line reading suggested the module could be the culprit as it can mess with the timing by up to 10 degrees, which is what sounds like is happening here (normal timing to factory specs is fine BTW).

Anyways, thanks in advance for the help...it's VERY much appreciated.

STL 10-17-2009 05:45 PM

Book I got says center, rear engine area, mounted on distributor

http://contentinfo.autozone.com/znet.../F139/image/8/

Eagle23 10-17-2009 07:02 PM

What you read and the photos you have are what I read, and what the new module I have looks like--but I have the distributor out and there is no module on it. :mad:

The reluctor/pickup plugs into a 4-prong connector but there is nothing on the housing. That's why I asked...it doesn't make sense. :confused:

When I try to trace the plug-in wiring it gets buried beneath the intake and then seems to merge with a wiring harness.

Clem 10-17-2009 07:09 PM

Check on the right side of the radiator.
It may look like this:
http://www.fordrangerforum.com/membe...-mail-view.jpg

Ray

Eagle23 10-18-2009 12:05 PM

It was on the right side of the radiator. It was mounted in an aluminum heatsink, and looked like the earlier picture.

Whooda thunk to look there? None of the literature says anything about it.

Thanks sooo much;)

Clem 10-18-2009 02:27 PM

What you have is a remote TFI that someone installed I think, anyway, glad you found it.

Ray

STL 10-18-2009 02:44 PM

Ya if it was there it is a remote one someone installed for what ever reason

Clem 10-18-2009 06:08 PM

As I have had the displeasure of having a TFI mounted to a distributor on the back of a 2.9, when the temp was 90*+, I know exactly why it is mounted out there. They get hot and refuse to do the job until they cool off.
I would be interested in whether the heat sink was a factory mounted or someones add on, I have heard that the late model of 90 or 91 Rangers had a little different style of TFI, (did not have the prongs that fit into the distributor) and were in a block of the type that were on Taurus and others.

Ray

Eagle23 10-18-2009 06:10 PM

You may be right, but it looks like a factory installation.

After finding it there, I re-read the Aerostar/Explorer/Ranger factory manual. For the Ranger it talks about the module being on the distributor. The next section, applicable to the Aero, says it's on the right side of the radiator, which is where it was, in the aluminum heat sink just like they said. Go figure.

The truck is box stock; I got it from the original family 2 years ago with original 64k on the clock, with no evidence otherwise. Given the drivers (now-late grandpa, then to now-late grandma, then to now-late husband and then to his widow) the miles are verifiable with receipts.

Anyway, keep it in the mental rolodex as another place for the module to be. And thanks again for the help.

Brian

Eagle23 10-18-2009 06:14 PM

Ray, it was clearly factory with the aluminum heat sink and the factory wiring harness leading up to it. Maybe a late-year running change?

I guess if you wanted to relocate yours you could scavenge the mount and heat sink from an Aerostar with the related wiring and graft it all together. It's be a lot of work but it would be away from the heat at the back of the engine.

Just a thought.

Brian

Clem 10-18-2009 09:01 PM

Brian
During a period of resent time I made the one on my 86 B2 remote, it isn't that bad of a job, just extending the wiring and finding a heatsink, got mine from a early 90's Taurus.
It did work, but he engine was real tired and IMHO, I figured it was time to upgrade it a little. When it is complete and running, it will be an 86 B2 body/frame with the rest coming from 89-90 B2 - interior and 91-92 Explorer - engine/running gear/wiring harness.

Ray

screamer141 02-04-2010 02:28 PM

I had the exact same deal. I bought my 1991 Ford Ranger XLT 3.0 V6 in November 1990. I am going thru the same problem & my code scanner is pointing me in that direction as well. I also found the TFI-IV ignition module to the left of the radiator inside a heat sink. I have 244,000 miles on mine & have never had to replace that. I will repost once I've changed it.