Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   p1336 camshaft/crankshaft sensors (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/34503-p1336-camshaft-crankshaft-sensors.html)

gir676767 05-29-2011 03:54 PM

p1336 camshaft/crankshaft sensors

Sorry if this has been answered but ive searched and didnt find anything. Im getting a p1336 error code and ive replaced the camshaft position sensor and it didnt fix the problem. So the problem is from about 2300 - 3200 rpms the engine stutters really bad. So my question is where is the crankshaft sensor or should i try the Camshaft Synchronizer? I bought a repair guide for the truck but not really helping ive been googling this for quite sometime and hope someone here can help ford told me to just buy a new engine. Btw its a 2003 3.0 v6 thank you for any help because im at my ends with this truck.

mickblock 05-29-2011 04:07 PM

Re: p1336 camshaft/crankshaft sensors

That code basically means that your input from either cam or crankshaft sensor is erratic and the PCM can't tell you if it's because either sensor is bad, your engine loom that powers/transmits signals from these sensors has damaged insulation or if either of the sensors are giving an erratic reading because of a mechanical cause.

gir676767 05-29-2011 07:22 PM

yeah thats what ive read but i cant find the crankshaft sensor any clue where its at on a 2003? Im just replacing every sensor before replacing anything bigger. I read on here maybe the camshaft syncronizer but i dunno?

mickblock 05-29-2011 08:34 PM

It's possible since a mechanical problem is one of the possible root causes. How many miles are on your engine? Also keep in mind that timing chains don't stretch but get slightly slack as the link pins wear.

On to the free stuff = Locate the two sensors, (disconnect battery -) open the connection and clean both sides with electrical contact cleaner, check the wiring, locate the main trunk loom that these wires join up with. Inspect that loom for signs that individual wires may have been damaged, and verify the engine loom is connected to your ECM properly .You can even use electrical contact cleaner on those connectors.

2008 3.0 CKP location
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/t..._gifgenref.gif
2008 3.0 CMP/ synchronizer location
http://i608.photobucket.com/albums/t..._gifgenref.gif

The installation of a new synchronizer does require an alignment gauge. part 9303-589 on a 2008. I got 2008/09 info only. Notice the tone ring that the CKP sensor reads. Clean it with brake cleaner and check that for defects as well.

Fordzilla80 05-29-2011 08:55 PM

What did the underside of the Camshaft Position Sensor look like when you replaced it? Did it look like something was making contact with it?

Here's a TSB on the Cam Sync that sounds a bit like your problem.

TSB
05-22-12 BUCK/JERK AND MISS DURING DRIVE CYCLE ABOVE 3000 RPM - NO DTC - 3.0L 2V GAS AND FFV ENGINE

Publication Date: October 25, 2005

FORD: 2000-2003 Taurus, Ranger
MERCURY: 2000-2003 Sable

ISSUE:
Some 2000-2003 Taurus, Sable, Ranger vehicles equipped with a 3.0L 2-valve gas or FFV engine may exhibit a buck/jerk/miss during drive cycles above 3000 RPM with no diagnostic trouble codes (DTC's). A possible cause is the camshaft synchronizer assembly. Since the camshaft position (CMP) fault monitor is not active above 2500 RPM, no diagnostic trouble code (P0340) is set during the drive concern, thus making it difficult to diagnose the root cause component.

ACTION:
Use an NGS to identify whether or not the synchronizer is the causal component. Refer to the following Service Procedure.

SERVICE PROCEDURE

Select PID database.
Select "Fuel Priority" PID database.
Select KS1 and RPM PID's.
Capture data during drive symptom.
Using graph mode, display KS1 and RPM.
Look for knock errors which can be identified by rapidly rising peaks which correlate with drops in RPM (Figure 1).
If the synchronizer assembly needs to be replaced, follow the appropriate model year Workshop Manual, Section 303-14, Electronic Engine Controls, Camshaft Synchronizer - 3.0L (2V) Removal and Installation procedure.

gir676767 05-30-2011 11:42 AM

Thanks for the info I will try all of that. It has 90xxxbeen miles on it. And does have a slight knock but only when coming down from a higher rpm . The knock I can deal with for now. Its the performance that's frustrating. I was also told that a knock sensor could cause this but I can't find one and its not in the error codes. Oh and the sensor looked perfect just like the new one.

Update

Changed the crankshaft sensor and it looked a bit rough but didn't fix it. It does idle lower now about 750having rpm.

runnoelrun 10-03-2012 06:49 AM

This explanation has been very helpful. You have the same problem I had in my 2005 ford ranger with 40,000 miles. Only thing is that I was getting trouble codes but no real symptoms. So I replaced the cam and crank sensor with no results and decided to replace the cam synchronizer.

I would just like to clear some things up about doing it yourself and see if any one has a different opinion. I went with realigning the engine at TDC and using the tool to align the new cam synchronizer to make sure it was done right. I bought the tool, cam sensor and synchronzer on ebay for $50. I never even used the tool, and I wanted to do it the right way and realign it. I figured out that there are two marks on the crankshaft pulley (actually on the counter weight in front of the pulley) and with them aligned
(on the compression stroke) with the mark right in front of the crank sensor that this was TDC. Compression stroke can be found by sticking your finger in the spark plug hole on number 1 cylinder and feeling for that pressure as you turn the engine over. I also found that if you point the pin and gap on the synchronizer inbetween two marks on the base of the synchronizer. To do this you need to point it in the exact location and then rotate counter clockwise until it slides in (due to the engage of the gears on the bottom). With that done and every thing tightened up, it ran like a dream.

ortiz1302 02-17-2013 09:06 AM

I have a 2002 ford ranger 3.0 v6 2 valve
The problem with it is that does not accelerate over 3000 rpm, low power in the road
when on a slope the engine accelerates to 4500 rpm
and check the sensor camshaf, change ignition coil, spark plugs, spark plug wires, MAF sensor, fuel pressure is 65psi,
when I press the throttle pedal the engine fails.
many say that the fault is camshaf sensor and not to do
I install my computer to another ford and realize the test works fine on my computer for 10 minutes in the other ford and works well
I check the timing chain was well
anyone have a solution to this problem can not find any solution to this problem
no fault codes, if they accelerated over 3000rpm the 3 oxygen sensors lower their voltage to 0.00 volts

mxpxpunkrock1987 12-23-2014 08:59 PM

i'm having the same issue with a truck i'm working on now any answer for this i have the dreaded p1336 code and no o/d on my transmission any help would be great

rangerlocal 12-23-2014 10:18 PM

Cam sync alignment as we told you in the other thread.

mxpxpunkrock1987 12-23-2014 10:28 PM

nope its not i found the problem and you wouldn't believe me if i told you.

i happen to look up knock sensor and i just happen to have one from a truck i took the part off and i just took it for a ride 46 miles and wa la no check engine light but my o/d i will deal with tomorrow as i have some time

rangerlocal 12-24-2014 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mxpxpunkrock1987 (Post 2341297)
nope its not i found the problem and you wouldn't believe me if i told you.

i happen to look up knock sensor and i just happen to have one from a truck i took the part off and i just took it for a ride 46 miles and wa la no check engine light but my o/d i will deal with tomorrow as i have some time

O/D will be a completely separate problem. The knock sensor can sometimes trigger a p1336, but it's usually another underlying problem. Typically if not the cam sync, it's the crank sync or wiring to the crank sync. Keep an eye out for it.

jbarnes1959 11-07-2015 07:22 AM

I have a 2005 Ford Ranger 3.0 Edge and code p1336 has reappeared. Mechanic said it is the harmonic balancer. I have changed or cleaned both sensors. Just changed out the battery and ran the truck up to speeds of 75/80. The engine light came on after being off for two months with the same problem. Anyone else has these problems

RB7 Ranger 11-08-2015 05:13 PM

1 Attachment(s)
use Motor Craft, & at TDC this is where it should point, after market sensors have a high rate of incompatibility, this code refers to a correlation problem (out of sync)

whitelightning904 12-05-2015 09:17 AM

I'm having this code pop up as well. I think I didn't put the synchronizer back in the correct position. I'm going to put the engine in tdc but where should I put the little finger on the synchronizer?