Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Suspension Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/)
-   -   best and cheapest shocks to get? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/34299-cheapest-shocks.html)

snipes040 05-26-2011 12:09 PM

best and cheapest shocks to get?

I'm looking for replacement shocks front and rear for my 2001 ford ranger. Napa auto pro quoted me 600 in total for the shocks and labor. Is there any cheaper shock to get? what is the best shock to get?

thanks

mickblock 05-26-2011 12:47 PM

Re: best and cheapest shocks to get?

For OE replacement you'll need to get HD shocks. That's what works with the existing front rear setup as far as spring rate whether we're talking stock leaf, coil or torsion bar. If you need to get anything else it's because you modified something.

snipes040 05-26-2011 12:56 PM

it's all of the stock suspension and it has 181000Km on the truck so it is definitley in need of a shock replacement. (lol)

ZWilson07 05-27-2011 02:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipes040 (Post 432578)
I'm looking for replacement shocks front and rear for my 2001 ford ranger. Napa auto pro quoted me 600 in total for the shocks and labor. Is there any cheaper shock to get? what is the best shock to get?

thanks

GOOOOOOOD GOD!

dont ever do business with them if thats their prices and deals they give you.

First off theres been a ton of recent shock threads but I know how much of a pain it can be to search and not find what you want.

Secondly, the best and cheapest don't really go together but it really depends on what your wanting. If you just want a real cheap replacement than id probably just go with a monroe shock or something similar.

If your actually going to want a performance shock or something that will do a very good job then id go with bilsteins. They will be about 320-330 for all 4 but they are a very high quality and arguably the best one you can buy for stock style replacements.

Not trying to thread hijack but I actually even have the 2 fronts oneas of mine for sale that barely have like 2,000 miles on them for a very good price. Im going coilover so thats why im selling them and had them on for such a short time. Just something to remember, its really just depends on what your looking for.

ColinS 05-27-2011 09:53 AM

i have skyjacker hydro 7000's on my ranger alot better than the monroes that came on the truck when i bough it

snipes040 05-27-2011 11:15 AM

well I'm not really looking for a special kind of shock. I'm just looking for a direct replacement that is cheap on the wallet, but is a shitty quality shock. The price that napa auto parts gave me was for lifetime warranty shocks and it came out to be 600 with labour and everything. To me that was WAY to pricey and ridiculous for me.

Tom 05-27-2011 11:32 AM

A lot of people recommend bilstein shocks, you can get 4 of them for about $250-$300 on eBay.

Justincredible 05-27-2011 11:33 AM

do your shocks yourself! so easy to do and saves a lot of money!

Clinton 05-27-2011 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipes040 (Post 433624)
well I'm not really looking for a special kind of shock. I'm just looking for a direct replacement that is cheap on the wallet, but is a shitty quality shock. The price that napa auto parts gave me was for lifetime warranty shocks and it came out to be 600 with labour and everything. To me that was WAY to pricey and ridiculous for me.

That is pricey! Go with Toms' recommendation and put them on yourself!

Tom 05-27-2011 11:37 AM

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/how-s...ar-shocks.html <-- Click

ZWilson07 05-27-2011 01:33 PM

Yea def change them out yourself, totally worth it.

and as stated before you do decide to go with bilsteins I got like new front set for sale for a very good price, just saying.

snipes040 05-28-2011 09:47 AM

alright cool guys thanks a lot! I'm not looking to get the shocks anytime soon but hopefully before the winter I'll pick some up and install them myself. Is the process for replacing the rear shocks basically the same as replacing the front shocks?

ZWilson07 05-28-2011 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by snipes040 (Post 434654)
alright cool guys thanks a lot! I'm not looking to get the shocks anytime soon but hopefully before the winter I'll pick some up and install them myself. Is the process for replacing the rear shocks basically the same as replacing the front shocks?

kinda sorta not. I would say the basic rating of how hard it is, is about the same but the actual process does differ.