Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Fabrication and Tool Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/fabrication-and-tool-tech/)
-   -   Beginner in Need of Help Buying Tools (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/fabrication-and-tool-tech/34138-beginner-help-buying-tools.html)

Winner94 05-23-2011 09:26 PM

Beginner in Need of Help Buying Tools

So I'm a 17 year old kid, just starting to really enjoy working on my 93 ranger, and other friend's cars, etc.

So i'm wanting to invest in some tools that i can take with me to the
local Pick n Pull, and am curious what beginner tools would be a good idea
to pick up?

Much Thanks :)

klinger86 05-23-2011 09:29 PM

Re: Beginner in Need of Help

personally i would go and get craftsman tools... a little bit on the expensive side but well worth the money... get a set of screwdrivers sockets and rachets pliers wrenches and a breaker bar... make sure you get metric and standard size sockets and wrenches.... that should be just about enough to get you just about all the parts you will need to get out of a jy

ben10 05-23-2011 09:33 PM

Re: Beginner in Need of Help Buying Tools

yeah craftsman for sure, cheaper than MAC or Snap on, but still has a lifetime warantee, and wont break like cheap stuff. you can usually find the 94 piece socket set for like 60 bucks on sale somewhere. then get some descent wrenches and a set of screw drivers.

Tom 05-23-2011 09:34 PM

Depends on your budget and what you expect to get out of it. You can go a long ways with one of those 100 piece or so tool kits various hardware stores sell.

Twisty 05-23-2011 09:36 PM

Re: Beginner in Need of Help

Quote:

Originally Posted by klinger86 (Post 430408)
personally i would go and get craftsman tools... a little bit on the expensive side but well worth the money... get a set of screwdrivers sockets and rachets pliers wrenches and a breaker bar... make sure you get metric and standard size sockets and wrenches.... that should be just about enough to get you just about all the parts you will need to get out of a jy

Good advice.
I would also get deep sockets, dikes (wire cutters), a ball peen hammer and gloves.

Anyone else?

mickblock 05-23-2011 09:47 PM

Wheel chocks, jack stands a floor jack and a repair manual.

A set of flare nut wrenches from harbor freight. So usually you'll end up with Pittsburgh brand. Which is fine. You won't need them often I agree but when you do need to work on a line fitting there is no substitute.
I recommend Stanly over Craftsman. Craftsman ratchets get tore up to easy. Shoot just get everything from Harbor Freight if you've got one near.

For pick n pull get leather gloves a huge hammer and a sawzall.

BlackBy4 05-23-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mickblock (Post 430421)
Wheel chocks, jack stands a floor jack and a repair manual.

A set of flare nut wrenches from harbor freight. So usually you'll end up with Pittsburgh brand. Which is fine. You won't need them often I agree but when you do need to work on a line fitting there is no substitute.
I recommend Stanly over Craftsman. Craftsman ratchets get tore up to easy. Shoot just get everything from Harbor Freight if you've got one near.

For pick n pull get leather gloves a huge hammer and a sawzall.

I second Stanley. I have one of their 300 piece black kits, and it's great. I used to have 50% snap-on, but I had about $10g of tools stolen last winter.
Floor jack: Get a good double-pump one. Trust me, the double-pump will save your life if/when you lift. Or, a good airpowered bottle jack.

The other things you should have to make your life easier:
Small air compressor
Chicago Pneumatic 1/2" impact gun

jhughes81 05-24-2011 04:56 AM

i've been pulling wrenches for the past 13 years. i've got snap-on, matco, john deere, atd, gearwrench, china-made, craftsman and stanley. i have a 6000 dollar matco 4s three bay roll cabinet. what you need to look for is what you can get warrantied, no matter the name brand. craftsman and stanley are the cheaper tools that you can get warrantied with no hassle. if got plenty of dough go for the bigger name brand. get what feels good in YOUR hands. cause trust me, i went through the school of hard knocks and you are gonna bust some knuckles.

edgeman4.0 05-24-2011 07:21 AM

Craftsman, northern tool, harbor freight, cornwell, snap on and Marco are what inhabit my toolbox. Its all a matter of preference and budget.

Winner94 05-24-2011 02:38 PM

Awesome, very helpful, thanks everyone :)

01B3000 05-25-2011 10:30 AM

make sure you get a small electrical kit too, just incase something ever happens or you need to do some wiring, saved my ass a time or two

Clinton 05-25-2011 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Winner94 (Post 430404)
So I'm a 17 year old kid, just starting to really enjoy working on my 93 ranger, and other friend's cars, etc.

So i'm wanting to invest in some tools that i can take with me to the
local Pick n Pull, and am curious what beginner tools would be a good idea
to pick up?

Much Thanks :)

Get the tools with a lifetime warranty. Shop around craiglist to get them cheaper. Basic socket set, Torx bits, pliers, wire cutters and cordless drill with various bits will do for junkyard runs

CADreamin 05-25-2011 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clinton (Post 431520)
Get the tools with a lifetime warranty.

+1

This is so important if you are truly looking at your tools as an investment. The specific brand is less important, but be sure they have a lifetime warranty.

knightmare1015 05-26-2011 04:06 AM

Please don't forget your safety glasses either! I was almost blinded helping a friend pull an old engine from a truck. If I hadn't had my safety glasses on, I'd need a seeing eye dog. You will be getting dirty, crap will pour out of certain things, and do be careful cause some things crawl or slither out too. So any Stanley or Craftsman tool kit will work. I have 2 Stanley kits here that has alot of screwdriver bits, and both metric and standard sockets. They're alot better tools than what people give them credit for. Also a good pair of cutters for removing old and dry rotted hoses and rubber tubing as well.

Winner94 05-26-2011 08:59 PM

thanks again everyone, very helpful.

Also, i'm mainly going to be working on my 93 ranger, so
are there any specific sizes or tools i should make sure to get?