Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   3.0 Vulcan Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/)
-   -   wont run right after head gasket replacement (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/3-0-vulcan-tech/33856-wont-run-head-gasket-replacement.html)

racerdonnie13 05-19-2011 05:44 PM

wont run right after head gasket replacement

ok so i had a blown head gasket so i pulled it down and replaced them. This is on a 99 ranger 3.0. now ive got it all back together and it runs but runs rough. when i give it gas in park it backfires and blows the DPFE hose off and then when i rev it with the hose off it blows a little fire out of the tube. It will rev up in park or neutral but when i put it in gear it stumbles real bad under a load. When i try to rev it in gear it just acts like it wont take the gas. i can hold it to the floor and it will only rev to like 1500rpm's (just guessing on that #) I had my friend hook his snap-on scanner up to it and it wont detect anything, he looked at the oxygen sensors and the MAF sensor to make sure they were doing what they were supposed to. I pulled all the plugs out (They were brand new-only about 20 min idleing run on them) was cylinders 1,2,3 (passenger side front to back) were still almost brand new looking porcelin was still white. Cyl 4 (driver side front) was BLACK and cylinder 5 (Driver side middle), and cylinder 6 (driver side rear) looked like my old plugs that i pulled out that had about 50,000 miles on them. I have checked and rechecked all my vaccuum lines and ground straps and they are all correct.. Any ideas? :confused:

wvcat 05-19-2011 06:41 PM

Re: wont run right after head gasket replacement

I'm 99% sure its your firing order. The diagram in the Hayne's manual I have is wrong. Clean off the top of the coil and make sure the wires are on according to how the coil is marked.

racerdonnie13 05-20-2011 04:46 AM

Ok I will double check the firing order this evening

racerdonnie13 05-20-2011 06:59 PM

Got it. Thanks wvcat. The manual is wrong. I cleaned the top of the coil pack off and followed the numbers there and it fired up and ran good. Thanks again.

wvcat 05-20-2011 07:30 PM

Your welcome...been there done that...glad to help out.

racerdonnie13 05-23-2011 05:41 PM

Just when i thought i had it fixed..... I drove it a little bit this weekend and it ran great, so i decided ide drive it to work this morning. Mind you this is 4:15 am. Halfway to work it started missing like crazy and cut off on me. I was able to get it back started and limp it anout 1/4 mile up the road to a hotel. I had to be at work so i went back and got the truck later on a trailer. Did a compression test and a big fat ZERO on cylinder #5. WTF............. Hopefully its just a broken valve spring so i dont have to pull the head back off. Seems like i cant win for losing.

wvcat 05-23-2011 06:19 PM

Good luck I hope its something simple...

racerdonnie13 05-23-2011 06:41 PM

Me too. Sucks cause its on the driver side so the upper intake has to come off again. But im going to hope that when i pull off the valve cover i see something. I dont want to have to pull the heads again.

wvcat 05-23-2011 07:51 PM

For it to have zero compression a valve is open or a hole in a piston. I would guess either the keepers came off the valve spring, a spring broke, or the stem is seized in the valve guide.

Jreichert 05-26-2011 08:28 PM

Haha I did the same exact thing!

racerdonnie13 05-27-2011 02:31 AM

Took it apart yesterday and a valve spring is broken. Going to replace them all while I have it apart.