Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Placing a net behind the grille???? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/33776-placing-net-grille.html)

tybo2340 05-18-2011 01:50 PM

Placing a net behind the grille????

I just recently purchased a brand new 2011 xlt ext cab ranger and a friend of mine told me to place a net in between the radiator and the grille to prevent bugs and grime getting into the radiator. The reason I am posting this is because I want your alls views on wether or not I should do this.

Rango88 05-18-2011 01:56 PM

Re: Placing a net behind the grille????

lol refer to my original post ;)

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exter...er-summer.html

tybo2340 05-18-2011 01:58 PM

How do you attach it though? Ductape or what?

OhioMike 05-18-2011 06:09 PM

I have seen bug net shields up close, and I think they look gay. Not trying to be a jerk because I'm sure they do their job well but not for me. To each his/her own.

Twisty 05-18-2011 07:47 PM

IMO, you should do it.
My Dad gave me some stainless steel screening that has the same size mesh as window screening.
I cut it a bit oversize and used zip ties to attach to the radiator mounts and other metal bits.
That was for the rad itself.
I folded up another piece into a "box" shape and it slips onto the tranny cooler w/o any ties.

STL 05-19-2011 02:22 AM

Kinda pointless to me.

Once a week take the grille off (easy to do) and clean the bugs off.

GGlighting 05-19-2011 03:20 AM

Seems pretty pointless

Little Blue 05-19-2011 07:40 AM

.......I just let the bugs stay there. I highly doubt a few bugs will affect cooling. That net idea I'd think would block the air from getting to your radiator more.

Rango88 05-19-2011 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Blue (Post 425948)
.......I just let the bugs stay there. I highly doubt a few bugs will affect cooling. That net idea I'd think would block the air from getting to your radiator more.

you'd be surprise how 50-100 bugs decomposing in your rad can cause rust and potential leaks.

Christianguy 05-20-2011 07:26 PM

when i was a kid,My friend once told me, each bug equals 1 HP ...

HaHaHa...50 bugs would be like a turbo boast!

Twisty 05-20-2011 10:13 PM

Bugs directly on or in the rad affect air flow and cooling.
Screening keeps the bugs off the surface and full air flow is maintained.
Using metal screen can prevent rocks or other debris from damaging the rad also.

GGlighting 05-20-2011 10:33 PM

Im gonna put a bug zapper behind my grill

MTman777 05-21-2011 01:31 AM

i used an old window screen to keep the bugs and small rocks out of my radiator when i lived in Montana. It worked very well and never affected the cooling of the truck. I just took off the grill and attached it to the header panel right in front of the radiator. You couldnt even tell it was there unless you really looked..

STL 05-21-2011 01:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Twisty (Post 428039)
Bugs directly on or in the rad affect air flow and cooling.
Screening keeps the bugs off the surface and full air flow is maintained.
Using metal screen can prevent rocks or other debris from damaging the rad also.

True but the net will also restrict air. You would need the holes in the net to be big enough so enough air gets through. So it they are to big bugs will still get it defeating the purpose.

Blacked Out FX4 05-21-2011 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by STL (Post 425846)
Kinda pointless to me.

Once a week take the grille off (easy to do) and clean the bugs off.

your little sister/brothers toothbrush will do just fine :D