Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   hesitation and missing on acceleration (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/33416-hesitation-missing-acceleration.html)

x D3 x 05-13-2011 10:52 AM

hesitation and missing on acceleration

About 2 weeks ago noticed the engine missing occasionally on acceleration. It has gotten progressively worse since. It idles normally. I had a person at Autozone run the computer diagnostic and it came back with no codes.

I have cleaned the MAF and IAC with MAF cleaner and also installed a new fuel filter but am still having the same problem.

Hoping someone here can help me with where to look next.

Truck has 106K miles.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ended up taking it to shop and wound up being the ignition coil. Swapped out $85 part and runs like a champ.

fletcher969 05-13-2011 10:56 PM

Re: hesitation and missing on acceleration

I've started to do some research for a slight off-idle hesitation I'm experiencing, and in addition to what you've listed, the EGR valve, throttle position sensor, PCV, O2 sensor, air breather, vacuum leak, and fuel pressure could also be items to check. I'm not dealing with any misfire, so you may have other issues too.

Dave

rickatom 05-21-2011 12:59 PM

I am having a similar problem. Truck idles just fine. Take it up the road, and as you apply the gas it hesitates. I have tore it down to the injectors, thinking they were junked up.
I am at a loss with mine as well. I get a code fuel to lean. I have changed the O2, may have wasted my $$$.
I am going to check the TPS and spray some cleaner on my lower air intake. I dont know what else to look for. I already cleaned the MAF.

Genos1stRanger 05-21-2011 01:17 PM

When i first got my truck, it idled fine but when i hit the gas even in neutral, there was a missing sound, ohm out the injectors, they should be no more than 17 ohms, i had one that was 25 and another that was open. Runs like a new truck now.

rickatom 05-22-2011 05:28 AM

I will have to give that a try. I hate the idea of tearing the motor back down. Some of those bolts are a pain.
What does a new injector ohm at? I had them out and spray cleaned them with carb cleaner.
I havent had a chance to test run since I did some more cleaning. A mechanic told me to take off the fuel plunger on the intake and make sure it was closing. I pulled it and cleaned it real good. I dont think it was that dirty, but who knows.

Genos1stRanger 05-23-2011 12:06 PM

The new ones are rated from 11 to 17 ohms. Anything more or less than that is considered to be faulty by the service manual.

rickatom 05-23-2011 04:13 PM

how much is a new injector?

Genos1stRanger 05-23-2011 08:25 PM

Around Va beach its about 100 dollars, depending on where you go.

jhughes81 05-24-2011 05:10 AM

dude you should be gettin a code. i have a 97 2wd and it was doin the same thing. i personally have a code reader and checked it myself. engine misfire on number 2 cylinder. i changed all plugs and wires and also changed the coil packs, since they have never been changed. runs like top. not sayin that is what is wrong with yours. the check eng. light should be on though.

Genos1stRanger 05-24-2011 12:16 PM

mine popped on number 3 but not number two, three was shorted, two was 25 ohms

bigboy250 05-24-2011 12:42 PM

mine did the same it was a broken spark plug and bad wires all 8 of them

rickatom 05-25-2011 12:41 PM

I had all new wires and plugs just changed recently. He even checked the coil with a new one.

Was that 100 dollars for one injector?

I have already wasted money on an 02 Sensor...Is there no way to check the injector aside from ohming and hoping it its bad??

Genos1stRanger 05-26-2011 01:12 PM

you can pull them out and visually look at them to see if they are clogged, but other than that its just an ohm test.

rickatom 05-26-2011 01:46 PM

when I had out the injectors, I sprayed them with carb cleaner and tried to let them soak. I really did not see dirt. I didnt know about the ohming process until after I put it all back together.

Genos1stRanger 05-27-2011 05:02 AM

You can ohm them in place, with any vehicle, you just have to know the value that the injector is to be reading, for the 2.5L it is 11 to 17 ohms.