Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Exhaust and Mufflers (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhaust-and-mufflers/)
-   -   Straight piping the 3.0 - any last words? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/exhaust-and-mufflers/33350-straight-piping-3-0-words.html)

VegasRanger02 05-11-2011 10:07 PM

Straight piping the 3.0 - any last words?

So this weekend, I surely hope, I will be installing my front end lift and my new headers. Since I am putting headers in, I feel I need it to be louder, and while I dont have the funds or time to get a flowmaster and get it welded up, I thought id just chop the muffler off right before it. The clips Ive seen on youtube sound pretty good, except at higher RPMs you just cant escape that V6 sound. Though, none of them really show it driving.. however Im a pretty sensible driver on the road (gas = $$$$) so I dont think itll be annoying the law anyways..

What are your experiences, will it be tooo loud? I might get a cheap clamp on turn down to attach to the pipe for the time being.

I guess worst case scenario would be go get a glass pack or flow master and put it in.

Mondonut619 05-11-2011 10:25 PM

Re: Straight piping the 3.0 - any last words?

wouldn't that throw off youre o2 censor burn out youre valves and in all fuck up your comp with inaccurate readings?

GGlighting 05-11-2011 10:26 PM

I was thinking about doing the same thing to my truck. I have a flowmaster triple chamber exhaust on my truck right now, but it is not as loud as I want it to be

POPTART972 05-11-2011 10:39 PM

Put a flowmaster on the 3.0 sounds super raspy not in a good way lol the 4.0 would be different but leave it until u get some sorta muffler..

VegasRanger02 05-11-2011 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mondonut619 (Post 419111)
wouldn't that throw off youre o2 censor burn out youre valves and in all fuck up your comp with inaccurate readings?

UH, no.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by POPTART972 (Post 419126)
Put a flowmaster on the 3.0 sounds super raspy not in a good way lol the 4.0 would be different but leave it until u get some sorta muffler..

Youtube clips sound good, and ill be bored so ill just chop it off and see what happens. Wanted to know if anyone has it on their trucks lol

01B3000 05-12-2011 05:00 AM

Just go for it, if your eventually getting a muffler on it, what can it hurt, if you dont like it wait a week and save up some cash and get the muffler

VegasRanger02 05-12-2011 07:18 AM

That was my thinking. I just hope im not like, oops... haha I guess it cant be any worse than a damn fart pipe honda that sounds like its gonna explode at 5mph..

POPTART972 05-12-2011 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasRanger02 (Post 419134)
UH, no.

----------

Youtube clips sound good, and ill be bored so ill just chop it off and see what happens. Wanted to know if anyone has it on their trucks lol

Lol I chopped mine off on my last truck then it sounded raspy and not good..kinda ghetto lol so jussst sayin! Haha go for it actually unbolt it too see if u like the way it sounds first before u go cutting it up

SPless 05-12-2011 09:39 AM

Just cut my muffler off and put a straight pipe on mine when i went home last weekend. Its loud and I love it. Lol

Mondonut619 05-13-2011 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VegasRanger02 (Post 419134)
UH, no.

----------

lol i thought you were cutting it from the headers back i just read it again. yeah i was thinking of putting a cherry bomb glass pack i got a flowmaster right now and its not really putting any kind of intimidation it sucks when my buddy pulls up on his jeep and starts rouring it. you know what im cutting mine tmrw if it suck ill weld it back on. ill let you know, i have the welder at the house shouldnt be that bad of a job.

DiabloBlanco 05-13-2011 07:41 PM

please tell me itsnt too late, did you do it? Please say no.

POPTART972 05-13-2011 07:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DiabloBlanco (Post 420413)
please tell me itsnt too late, did you do it? Please say no.

LOL x2!!! :dito:

Kxjbird1 05-15-2011 06:56 PM

My 4.0 is cutt off right behind the cats. It's loud as hell. Right about 2500 rpm is loudest.

SB03Ranger 05-15-2011 07:04 PM

ive got my 4.0L straited piped and it sounds gud. but not a 3.0L go for a glass pack instead imo.

Kxjbird1 05-18-2011 11:15 PM

Not meanin to thread Jack but I have no emissions testin and want to know if I should pull my cats when I straight pipe it. Or will it backfire and crap