Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   im thinking about going flat black on my ranger... need inputs (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/33130-im-thinking-flat-black-ranger-inputs.html)

xltUOranger98 05-08-2011 08:41 PM

im thinking about going flat black on my ranger... need inputs

I have my 98 xlt extended cab 3.0 v6 stock color green. The truck has a decent amount of ware on the paint scratches,chips etc and some dents. I'm considering sanding my truck down and fill in the dents and any other exterior issues. After I fix the body work I'm thinking about doing a flat black paint job. I think it would look pretty good on the ranger and I'm thinking ill like it a lot better than how it currently is. My question is has anyone done this on their own? Any inputs? Or suggestions? If you have how do you like the flat black look?

Thanks

HazardousRanger 05-08-2011 08:43 PM

Re: im thinking about going flat black on my ranger... need inputs

i think satin black looks better. ZABLE did his plasgtidipped..ull see how it will look w flat black, its basically removable paint lol its AWESOME

camodown 05-08-2011 08:44 PM

If it is done right then I think it looks good. But to me it is kind of a whole package deal to pull it off, not just a stock truck with flat black paint.

ben10 05-08-2011 08:46 PM

if you rattle can it, its probably not going to last or look good. i did an old civic that way, and the paint will fade weird, and its hard to do it right. if you have it done right it could look good if its been built. stock it would look off...

Clinton 05-08-2011 08:55 PM

Agreed, rattle can is a no no. Professionally done yes so it lasts longer

BCobe 05-08-2011 09:00 PM

Prof done yes. Are you going to murder it out?

xltUOranger98 05-08-2011 09:00 PM

I'm working on my truck little by little, going for a lift, tires rims etc. Taking out the dents and going flat black was one of the steps I wanted to take on the way. I'm just wondering if its worth doing and if it will last. And also if its something that I can pull off on my own with a good outcome.

Clinton 05-08-2011 09:03 PM

It is possible. Check with member Brinker88, I believe he did his own paint job and could give ya some help

TheStig 05-08-2011 09:03 PM

rattle canned mine and it turned out alright

BUT

i have been touching it up every so often because of car washes and wear on the paint.....its my beater so i really don't care about perfection
but flat paint is super easy to touch up
just scuff and spray

also be sure to use flat PAINT not primer.....primer paint fades

if you're going for a good paint job that will last.....get it done right

it its an off-road beater....do it yourself

http://i414.photobucket.com/albums/p...4/DSCN0995.jpg

xltUOranger98 05-08-2011 09:09 PM

Looks good from the pic. I'm just not really happy with the way my truck looks paint scratches and dent whise which is why I'm considering doing this. I figured flat black is the cheapest way to go to change what I have now to something that looks pretty good. You know what I mean? instead of dropping 3k or so on a paint job for now.

TheStig 05-08-2011 09:17 PM

if you do it yourself, prep is the key

take EVERYTHING off you don't want painted or that you might have to paint around

sand and scuff everything...even the tiniest edges

primer the whole truck and lightly wet sand again

then paint.....i used about 8-10 cans of flat paint

again....if you want it to look good, i'd say get it professionally done
some places will give you a discount if you do most of the prep work

xltUOranger98 05-08-2011 09:24 PM

If I were to do all of the prep work how much do you think I'm looking at $ whise to have a shop do it guessing around?

TheStig 05-08-2011 09:32 PM

$500-$800 maybe

it really depends on the shop

i'd check out the different paint shops and ask around

xltUOranger98 05-08-2011 09:40 PM

Cool thanks for all the replies. I'm new to this forum and so far its been awesome joining a lot of good info here. I'm huge on whatever vehicle I drive as far as upgrading it and taking care of it, cars and trucks have always been a huge hobby of mine. I'm trying to completely transform my ranger from how it looked from the previous owner and I'm hoping going flat black will help my process. I've already done all maintenance including putting a cold air intake to replace the cracked original and re did the bucket seats making them black which looks good with the 2 tone.

Ryan4x4 05-08-2011 09:49 PM

I rattle canned mine Flat Black I loveeeeeeee it, I could care less if it fades or I scratch it. Mine hasnt washed off. It looks decent still.