Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Hard to shift gears (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/3301-hard-shift-gears.html)

scrillasherv 10-11-2009 06:51 PM

Hard to shift gears

Hello!

I am new to the forums. I've got a 2003 Ford Ranger XLT Supercab. I got it at 54k miles. Now I am at 69k and the the gears seem to be much harder to shift into. The 3rd gear has always been a bit notchy, but now I really need to push it into gear. Clutch never slips at all, never grinds. Just tough to push it into gear. Any suggestions as to what I should do? I have been looking around to learn how to replace the transmission fluid and possibly the slave cylinder? I am no mechanic, I've just searched online. Any advice anyone can give me would be great! Thank you!

96splash/09sport 10-11-2009 06:56 PM

check your fluid and add if needed.....if that dont help then take it to a mechanic

scrillasherv 10-11-2009 07:02 PM

Check which fluid? How should I do that?

96splash/09sport 10-11-2009 07:04 PM

the tranny fluid or grease there should be a plug on the side of tranny you unscrew to check the fluid...im not exactly sure were its at on rangers but its on the passenger side of the tranny

Clem 10-12-2009 07:35 AM

Have you noticed any oil spots under the truck?
You have a hydraulic clutch system, there is a little white reservoir on the drivers side engine compartment, probably close to or attached to the fire wall. Twist the cap off and gently remove the rubber cup in side, (be careful, the stuff in the reservoir is brake fluid and it WILL eat your paint if you get it on it) there should be about a quarter inch of fluid in the bottom.
If there isn't, find the leak, more than likely it is the slave cylinder in the bell housing and it will have to be replaced before it goes out completely, then you won't be able to shift at all.

Also, suggest you buy a Chilton's vehicle specific manual for your truck, will be the best $25 or so you can spend.

Ray

blueovelboy 10-12-2009 08:02 AM

you dont need the clutch to shift just to get it rolling at lest on the trucks i drive lol

Fx4wannabe01 10-12-2009 01:04 PM

Slave cyl or Master cyl. Your symptoms sound like that.

Yes, I would first top off the fluid in the trans. The M5OD-r1 takes Mercon ATF.

scrillasherv 10-12-2009 03:55 PM

How much will it cost to replace the slave cylinder? I understand it is on the inside of the bell housing, so I'd need to get the whole transmission taken out? Correct me if I'm wrong, I'm just repeating what I've heard.

Thank you all for the help btw!

scrillasherv 10-12-2009 03:56 PM

And also could someone send me a link of a good deal on Mercon ATF fluid and the service kit? All of the ones I have seen say they are for automatic rangers and I'm very confused. I have an 03 2wd v6 3.0

scrillasherv 10-12-2009 04:27 PM

Update:
Just checked the truck. To the right side of my engine there was a yellowish container and a smaller black cylinder container with brake fluid. I checked the black one. It said "fill to step with dot 3 brake fluid". I checked the inside of it, and I don't know how to explain it but it isn't like an empty space like a normal cylinder, the spaces to fill it up are like a cross but deeper. About one 5 of the container was filled, so I'd say maybe an inch of fluid mayble a little less? Very thick black fluid.

TwistedDreams 10-12-2009 04:58 PM

I'd replace your transmission fluid. I forget what I used, but call your ford dealer and they can tell you. I had a little pump, and a lift to use, so it was really easy for me. but mine wasn't that bad to shift, and when I took off the bottom plug to drain it, it was vacuumed in there, and the sh!t coming out was black...
Needless to say, it shifts like a new sports car now, compared to what it used to be.

OH! and thanks to my brother danny, who can't drive for crap, the bottom plug was also COVERED in metal flakes, from him grinding the gears...
-TD

scrillasherv 10-12-2009 05:35 PM

Wow yeah I think I'll do that! Also another dumb question of mine, my truck is lifted and I can slide underneath it fine on a skateboard. Should that be ok enough to take out the transmission pan? And yes the dealership says to use Mercon ATF, however the "service kit", which includes the new filter http://www.prostreetonline.com/oem/w...part=AT+Filter says it is for automatics. My question is could I use an automatic one for my manual trans? And also do I need an oil pan to dump the old oil into or can I simply use another old pan?

Fx4wannabe01 10-12-2009 06:30 PM

Yes the trans needs dropped to replace the slave. Go Raybestos or Sachs on the slave cyl brand.

IDK how much it would cost.....usually about $80 for me, but that's just the price of the slave...I do all my own work. call around to shops and get quotes.

Why would you use a 'kit' to service the trans? there's no filtration system...just fill the fluid through the hole on the side and call it good. Mercon ATF is what it takes.

'yellowish container' would be the cluch fluid reservore. I found mine low when I dropped my trans the other day. fill it to the line, but remember ot fill it WITHOUT the rubber baffle. fill to the line, put in the rubber nipple thing, cap it. That takes DOT3 brake fluid.

Clem 10-12-2009 06:45 PM

THE ONLY DUMB QUESTION, IS THE ONE THAT IS NEVER ASKED!
Now I am getting confused, do you have an automatic or a standard transmission?
This link is for IDing your manual transmission, while there, note that none of these take a filter.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...nsmission.html
This link is to identify your automatic transmission, note that these do have filters.
http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...AutoTrans.html
The M50D-R1, which is what we believe you have, it uses 5.6 pints of Mercron automatic transmission fluid. It does not have a filter inside or outside of the transmission.

Ray

scrillasherv 10-12-2009 07:16 PM

OH!! Ok I see. Yes I have a manual. And yes, then my clutch fluid is very much filled a little past the fill line.

So in order to change the transmission fluid I would just need to unbolt the trans pan from underneath my truck, then bolt it back up and open the engine hood and fill it up with 5.6 pints of Mercon ATF? Where is the transmission fluid container (or tube that leads to it), like how can I identify it from looking inside the hood?

Thank you all so much for your help