Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   how should an auto trans shift (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/32844-auto-trans-shift.html)

ranger690 05-04-2011 03:29 PM

how should an auto trans shift

this probably sounds like a stupid question, but this is my first auto trans vehical so im curious..

how quick should shifts be on these trucks with the auto trans...i try to drive with a light foot so it seems like the truck takes a while inbetween shifts...im wondering if they should be quick and crisp or because of driving like a granny if it is normal for the tranny to switch gears slowly like its stuck there

any imput is appreciated

Fordzilla80 05-04-2011 06:39 PM

Re: how should an auto trans shift

Ranger trans in the A4LD family have always been known to be a little sluggish while shifting. If you're not slipping, then you're fine. But if the truck is held back because of this, you have problems. Does it shift faster when you get on it?

ranger690 05-05-2011 01:33 PM

yes, when i get on it it shifts quick, even when i drive normal in the 2500-3000 rpm range it seems to shift "normal" i guess as in its not to sluggish...its when im light on the pedal round 2000-2200 rpm it seems to be very sluggish

thanks for the reply...and as far as i can feel it isnt slipping..knock on wood

kyle

Fordzilla80 05-05-2011 09:10 PM

No problem. The smaller motors like the 2.3, 2.5, 2.9 and 3.0 are known for this. They're pretty gutless, so they don't have the responsiveness you'd expect.

Rango88 05-05-2011 09:13 PM

Thats why I love manuals :p

ranger690 05-06-2011 01:25 PM

the only problem is i have the 4.0 but it gets up and goes to a point wen i need to get on it....and id have prefered a manual trans but this was a decent deal at the time

bryanh 05-26-2011 03:19 PM

I just bought a 4.0 automatic (lost my 91 mazda b2200 in a storm) and I am having the same type of issues. My O/D off is flashing so I figured the light shifts and the sluggishness of it was because of this, but I do not know how the truck is supposed to shift either. All I do know is that my kia van with a 3.0 motor in it has way more balls than my truck.

I will be doing a valve body gasket, trans. filter, and fluid change soon I hope this clears up the O/D off flashing issue, but is it true that I am stuck with a ball-less truck(please say no)? I also would have preferred the manual trans, but even if I have to put in a new (ford rebuilt) transmission I will still be within the KBB.

Ranger690, are you getting the O/D off flashing light?

Fordzilla80 05-26-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanh (Post 432726)
I just bought a 4.0 automatic (lost my 91 mazda b2200 in a storm) and I am having the same type of issues. My O/D off is flashing so I figured the light shifts and the sluggishness of it was because of this, but I do not know how the truck is supposed to shift either. All I do know is that my kia van with a 3.0 motor in it has way more balls than my truck.

I will be doing a valve body gasket, trans. filter, and fluid change soon I hope this clears up the O/D off flashing issue, but is it true that I am stuck with a ball-less truck(please say no)? I also would have preferred the manual trans, but even if I have to put in a new (ford rebuilt) transmission I will still be within the KBB.

Ranger690, are you getting the O/D off flashing light?

Read this, it tells you what you need to know.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drive...ght-flash.html

As for your truck having no "balls", your truck is probably in need of a tune up as the 4.0 is not a powerless motor.

bryanh 05-27-2011 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 432844)
Read this, it tells you what you need to know.

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drive...ght-flash.html

As for your truck having no "balls", your truck is probably in need of a tune up as the 4.0 is not a powerless motor.

Good to hear, tune up planned this weekend.

Rango88 05-27-2011 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanh (Post 433484)
Good to hear, tune up planned this weekend.

good idea dude, keep us posted.

bryanh 05-31-2011 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crowd88 (Post 433488)
good idea dude, keep us posted.

Tune up this weekend: New Wires (Belden primum, hope it was worth the extra cash), Plugs (autolite) , and Air Filter (Napa Gold).

Seems like power is up a bit more, not sure if it is all in my head but I am happy with the perceived performance balls wise, the shift is still not feeling right, but o/d off is also still flashing.

Going to do a Valve body gasket/filter/fluid service soon.

Fordzilla80 05-31-2011 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanh (Post 437916)
Tune up this weekend: New Wires (Belden primum, hope it was worth the extra cash), Plugs (autolite) , and Air Filter (Napa Gold).

Seems like power is up a bit more, not sure if it is all in my head but I am happy with the perceived performance balls wise, the shift is still not feeling right, but o/d off is also still flashing.

Going to do a Valve body gasket/filter/fluid service soon.

Glad to hear the tune-up helped.

AS for the shift, if you click and read the link I posted, it will explain to you why your shift is not right.

I can tell you right now that you better not get your hopes up about the valve body. The O/D Off light comes on for alot of reasons in these Rangers, and it's not always because of the valve body. You could have a stuck solenoid, bad wiring connection, bad valve body soft parts, clogged fluid passages, etc. My truck used to have an O/D Off light. By some miracle getting new tires got rid of my O/D Off light.

If the valve body issue does not fix your truck, for your own sanity call around to the trans shops and see which one will read the code for free so you can know where the problem is instead of throwing parts at your truck.

bryanh 06-01-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 438593)
If the valve body issue does not fix your truck, for your own sanity call around to the trans shops and see which one will read the code for free so you can know where the problem is instead of throwing parts at your truck.

The light turns on after a bit of driving, and I do plan on taking it to the shop for a code pulling party next time I have a day off, it seems like there is split advice online as to when to pull the code (while flashing or any time as long as the battery cable has not been pulled).

As I just bought the truck and I have access to an Army Post I can rent a lift on weekends and take care of basic service in the Transmission. Filter, Flush and some nice new Merc V (thanks forum!) as well as some other manly shop stuff.

I figure the VB being a common problem, it would be a good idea to look at while I got the pan pulled, but I will have the codes pulled before I start and maybe I can figure out what is going on and have the parts to fix it (I hope).

Fordzilla80 06-03-2011 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bryanh (Post 439043)
The light turns on after a bit of driving, and I do plan on taking it to the shop for a code pulling party next time I have a day off, it seems like there is split advice online as to when to pull the code (while flashing or any time as long as the battery cable has not been pulled).

As I just bought the truck and I have access to an Army Post I can rent a lift on weekends and take care of basic service in the Transmission. Filter, Flush and some nice new Merc V (thanks forum!) as well as some other manly shop stuff.

I figure the VB being a common problem, it would be a good idea to look at while I got the pan pulled, but I will have the codes pulled before I start and maybe I can figure out what is going on and have the parts to fix it (I hope).

Sounds like a good plan of action.

As for the advice being split on when to check the code, the code should always be checked whenever the light starts flashing, unless you're not planning on driving the truck. However if this truck is something you drive often, you need to grab that code ASAP. Driving in Fail Safe mode can destroy the trans, as it's not meant to make the impending problem disappear, it's meant to get that trans home or to the trans shop and for the truck to be parked once there until the problem is solved.