Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Wheels and Tires (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/wheels-and-tires/)
-   -   fordman612's Mega tire thread, which tire do I get? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/wheels-and-tires/32821-fordman612s-mega-tire-thread-tire.html)

fordman612 04-15-2011 02:36 PM

fordman612's Mega tire thread, which tire do I get?

when i was looking to put nitto mud grapplers on a f150, everyone said it was a horrible choice and they only lasted 20k, but then i heard for a ranger, they would be great because its a light truck, what mileage are you getting out of these tires?

edgeman4.0 04-15-2011 09:03 PM

Re: nitto mud grapplers?

thats going to be tough to say.. it all depends on how you drive, where you drive and how straight your alignment is. mud grapplers are an extremely agressive tread pattern and soft rubber compound, so you can look forward to a fairly short tread life on them if you plan on doing alot of on road driving. if your truck is a dedicated trail rig, great idea. these tires are also loud as shit.. sounds like an airplane flying at ground level when you hit speeds of 35+.

fordman612 04-17-2011 05:10 PM

Re: nitto mud grapplers?

yeah i wanted super swamper ssr's but i heard they are even softer, and i was told on a ranger, mud grapplers would be good because of how light the truck is, even though they are still soft, i guess they are as soft as the ssr

fordman612 04-18-2011 06:33 PM

super swamper tsl radial?

has anone had these? how are they? im looking to put these on my truck, i was told they are pretty good on the road. thanks!
post awaay!

ben10 04-18-2011 06:43 PM

Re: super swamper tsl radial?

dude interco tire makes nothing that is good for the road, they all wear out suuuuuuper fast and are noisy and bumpy, even the radial.

brinker88 04-18-2011 06:45 PM

I think the sidewalls are a joke

fordman612 04-18-2011 06:49 PM

well i have a good friend that has been working with tires and lifts for over 10 years, and has had his tsl's on his truck for 30k and still has a 1/4 of tread left. i know the SSR wears fast because its soft, but the tsl is more hard and 3 lug, and not very noisy for the road

----------

added to that, he has them on a F-350 superduty, a ford ranger weighs alot less, so tread will remain longer

ben10 04-18-2011 06:54 PM

depends, if he has a heavy duty rated tire like an E tire the tire might have a harder compound. the ttb trucks are notorious for bad tire wear too, and if you want a swamper get em, i have owned a few sets including a set of TSLs and i know lots of people who have had them as well, and i promise you, you wont get the life out of it that you would a comparably priced mud terrain.

fordman612 04-18-2011 07:03 PM

so what is your suggestion for mud tires? please dont say BFG, i want an aggressive tire that actually looks like a mud tire.

ben10 04-18-2011 07:15 PM

well go with a mickey thompson baja claw, the goodyear mtr with kevlar does amazing but if you want that aggresive look you probably wont like it, lots of people like the honkook mud terrain, and tons of people like the toyo open country or the maxxis. if you want a tire that will last slightly longer and is epic looking go for pitbull tires but you wont get that much better life out of it.

fordman612 04-19-2011 03:39 AM

http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...TSL_Radial.htm

look at the street rating, i was told never get a mickey thompson, these are rated higher on road then MT's to

dixie_boysles 04-19-2011 04:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fordman612 (Post 395022)
so what is your suggestion for mud tires? please dont say BFG, i want an aggressive tire that actually looks like a mud tire.

What do you mean? A BGF mud terrain DOES look like a mud terrain. Sounds like you just want bogger like tires and still have road manners---not going to happen.

BFG MTs, GY MTs, Cooper STTs MTs, etc are all good Mud Terrain tires that look badass but still give you decent road manners so you can actually hear yourself talk going down the road

fordman612 04-19-2011 12:11 PM

you cant even see the tread of a bfg or any of those you just named, if you cant even see the tread, just get a street tire instead of wasting your money, tsl radials are good tires, ive never heard anyone say they are bad on wear, just because it says super swamper doesnt mean they are bad on the road, go here and read http://www.offroaders.com/tech/AT-MT...TSL_Radial.htm it says they are good on road and the noise is low, which noise doesnt bother me, if you cant deal with noise, your a p***y. yeah boggers and a bunch of other super swampers are bad on tread, because there strictly SOFT MUD TIRES, TSL radials are hard tires, great for mud and road, and you will actually be able to see my tread :)

ben10 04-19-2011 12:38 PM

Sounds like you made up your mind then when your tires wear out in a year come back and tell us how amazing they are. What's the point of you coming in here asking for advice and then bashing all the advice we give you. If you want a tire that LOOKS. Gnarly and you can SEE the tres ger some boggers, they are like a race tire on the road, never get stuck and get like a million miles befor they even show signs wear.

WearyTraveler 04-19-2011 01:46 PM

I say if you really want them, get them. Don't be surprised if they are worn out by the time you get 20,000 miles on them. It is your money to spend.

Ben said it before. Your friend with the F350 probably has E rated tires. They are heavy and hard. The tires you will be buying are going to be a considerably softer compound and wear a lot faster.

What size are you buying? Are you going to be actually using them for offroading? Or are they just to make your truck look cool? I know I sound like a dick, but oh well.