Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Wheels and Tires (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/wheels-and-tires/)
-   -   Wheel spacers? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/wheels-and-tires/31642-wheel-spacers.html)

mw619 04-19-2011 12:58 AM

Wheel spacers?

I have a stock 03 Edge 2wd extra cab, and Im thinking about widening the front and maybe the rear a little. With stock wheels and tires, what's the best way to do this, and how much wider is it safe to go to?

I just ordered some new shocks for my truck and thinking about lifting the front a little. How would widening the truck a little work with these mods?
Even though i use my truck for off road sometimes, Im not looking to make it into anything crazy...all i need is a little wider stance that looks good and helps out with handling. Should i do just the front or the rear too?
I wont do this if it doesnt help the handling. Im open to new wheels and other options if they arent too expensive.

Gumcrew2 04-19-2011 03:55 PM

Re: Wheel spacers?

DO NOT use wheel spacers.
I did, I even torqued 'em all the time like your supposed to. I had a wheel/tire fly off while making a right turn, it slammed into the side of another car and did a ton of damage. I sued the company that made the spacers, and they paid out. BUT IT STILL SUCKED>

Wheel spacers are like $150-$200 for all 4, go get some cheap wheels instead and do it right

Christianguy 04-19-2011 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gumcrew2 (Post 395899)
DO NOT use wheel spacers.
I did, I even torqued 'em all the time like your supposed to. I had a wheel/tire fly off while making a right turn, it slammed into the side of another car and did a ton of damage. I sued the company that made the spacers, and they paid out. BUT IT STILL SUCKED>

Wheel spacers are like $150-$200 for all 4, go get some cheap wheels instead and do it right

Dang! That sounds like it could have been even worse!!!
Glad you DON'T use wheels spacers anymore!

terryduanemiller 04-19-2011 04:40 PM

I'm running centric spacers, travel 1400+ miles a month, at least one trip from Ky to Fl a month plus normal running round town.. never had any problems... who ever lost a wheel/wheels didnt do something right... lug torque specs are low.. I can get a full turn and half by hand after torquing. all aluminum wheels require they be re-tightened after 50 miles............

but on that note I have a full set of 1.5" spacers with lugs, 2 of the spacer were never used.. take $110
http://i495.photobucket.com/albums/r...spacers006.jpg

WildlandFirefighter 04-19-2011 04:56 PM

I don't like wheel spacers...they put alot of stress on your bearings.

terryduanemiller 04-19-2011 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WildlandFirefighter (Post 395960)
I don't like wheel spacers...they put alot of stress on your bearings.

depends on application, and used correctly...
my wheels are in same location as stock..

DangerRanger379 04-24-2011 02:50 PM

im using spacers, but thats only cause i have to, i have full size truck rims and they wont fit our 4.5x5 pattern. so i need them only to adapt to the 5.5x5 pattern. ive also gone through both my stock hubs BUT they were stock and the replacments have held for 1 1/2+ years. so i think they just needed replacing anyway.

but it does stress the hubs so dont do it unless you have too.

TerrenceStuart 04-25-2011 04:27 PM

^ you don't have to use full size truck rims. you choose to.

wheel spacers make me think of those god awful cars that black people (yes, i said black people) would put on their wheels so they would stick out a foot past the fenders, which ended up breaking axles, ball joints, bearings, etc.. and it looked really stupid.

VegasRanger02 04-25-2011 04:45 PM

Im always tempted to get wheels spacers because I want a wider stance, but then I always go back and read the warnings!

Basically, you are saying you want a little lift and a wider stance, you should go with a spindle lift. Fabtech or Doestech are places to look into. You will get 3" of lift and about 1-1.5" more width per side.. Best of both worlds. This also requires no further modification to your suspension.

cdawall 04-25-2011 05:00 PM

hub issues are not going to be any different than running a wider rim or a less backspaced rim. however on that not. hub centric spacers (the good kind) cost ~$50 a spacer a set of black steel rims in your size and the proper spacing cost $50-60 your choice. i was looking at spacers until i researched another 10 minutes.

ben10 04-25-2011 07:57 PM

i got some spacers, cause i paid 80 bucks for a set of steel wheels and already had the tires mounted and balanced, the tires rubbed on the frame a bit so i got some 1.25" spacers for the front, looks a lot better, but like everyone said im a bit leary about them, i just put about 700 miles on my truck this weekend, so ill be checking them this week.

01B3000 04-25-2011 08:00 PM

Do you have them just on the front or on front and rear?
I want to get spacers for my front untill i lift, but i dont want my truck to look retarted.

ben10 04-25-2011 08:04 PM

i just have them on the front, it looks fine, 1.25 inches isnt a huge difference, especially with big mud tires on it. if you have a close to stock look it will be a more noticable difference.

cdawall 04-25-2011 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben10 (Post 403022)
i just have them on the front, it looks fine, 1.25 inches isnt a huge difference, especially with big mud tires on it. if you have a close to stock look it will be a more noticable difference.

you do have a close to stock look :p

01B3000 04-25-2011 08:09 PM

i may be getting 1.5" with goodyear wrangler rt-s's. I mean its only till i get my lift for my graduation. I just dont want my tires rubbing