Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   LEDs but no hazards? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/31606-leds-hazards.html)

FFSHOKE 04-18-2011 05:10 PM

LEDs but no hazards?

I replaced all the bulbs in my ranger with LEDS and replaced the blinker relay with an LED compatible one so the blinker worked. I have had it like this for a little while but i just now changed my front blinkers with the LEDS i bought but long story short, i have no hazards anymore. I know the hazards are wired seperate from the blinker but do i need replace that relay as well or is it just a fuse?

ANy help is appreciated

ben10 04-18-2011 05:16 PM

Re: LEDs but no hazards?

where did you find the blinker relay that was LED friendly? and where did you find the LED bulbs? sorry a bit off topic, but i wanna do this mod.

FFSHOKE 04-18-2011 05:43 PM

superbrightleds.com to get the bulbs. it takes a little bit of time but you can replace all of them if you compare what you need for your truck (there is link to show what sizes you need on their page) and what bulb fits it play around for a little bit to try and figure it out.

word of advice, go with whatever color you want it to light up as if it was a clear lens. Example, brake lights you want RED LEDs even if you ahve a red lens b/c LEDs have very limited colors in the white light so it gets lost in the lens so it ends up not being as bright as the original bulbs or worse may look pinkish haha.

And the flasher Relay i believe it was a "Blazer" 2-6 led compatible and i just bought it from Advance auto parts, it needs to say compatible on it though.

check my pics, i replaced my tails with 06+ so you can see the bulbs and theyre actually REALLY bright even inthe daytime
Friend of mine was behind me and though i was riding the brake...unitl i hit the brake and he thought he needed sunglasses at 11 at night! haha totally worth it my opinion

richarddhoward 04-18-2011 05:46 PM

There are one or two flashers that are in the truck? I don't remember honestly? If you have two flashers they both need to be electronic. If not, then you need to check all the wiring going to your flashers.

ben10 04-18-2011 05:52 PM

awesome, alls i want is the back brakes and back up lights, so it shouldnt be hard. i just think i need more light for backing up, and its always good to have highly visible brake lights.

buggman 04-18-2011 10:58 PM

EP27 electronic flasher is used to fix the hyper flashing caused by the led's.

Not sure why the hazards would quit working with led's... mine work just fine, even with all the led's I have connected.

super....leds stuff is too expensive for my tastes though.

FireRanger 04-19-2011 04:16 AM

The hazards are on a different flasher and a different fuse. Check both.

FFSHOKE 04-20-2011 08:43 AM

okay thansk guys, the hazards work with the no lights on but if i cut on the parking lights or the headlights..nothin lol any idea where the hazard relay is? im thinking im going ot check the fuse and put a lower rated one in there b/c its drawing such little amps from it but idk well see so yeah, again, anybody knows the where the Hazard Relay is, please feel free to lemme know found the blinker one and changed that but idk about the other one

FFSHOKE 04-20-2011 04:41 PM

so now it works but only if the truck is off with the lights on but it doesnt work if the truck is running with the parking lights on and/or the headlights but it works without any other lights on. Thoughts?

FireRanger 04-20-2011 05:07 PM

Changing the fuse rating won't change anything. If your having conflicts with other lighting settings, the problem is usually:

- The ground point for the wiring harness on the firewall
- The trailer light harness if so equipped (messed up, or corroded connectors)

FFSHOKE 04-20-2011 07:02 PM

okay, but its working when the truck is not running regardless of the lights being on or off but if the truck starts running then it wont work with parking or headlights on so nay idea on why that is?

FireRanger 04-21-2011 04:54 AM

No clue. Doesn't make sense since both the hazards and the parking lights are on constant power circuits.

FFSHOKE 04-21-2011 02:51 PM

yeah idk it weird imma jsut tinker with it some more and try and figure it all out

FFSHOKE 06-07-2011 01:55 PM

okay, got bored today, replaced one bulb with the stock ones withthe truck running and the hazards worked fine, should I wire up a resistor with the hot side on one (or both) of the bulbs? You all think this would work?

richarddhoward 06-07-2011 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FFSHOKE (Post 446345)
okay, got bored today, replaced one bulb with the stock ones withthe truck running and the hazards worked fine, should I wire up a resistor with the hot side on one (or both) of the bulbs? You all think this would work?

You could, but honestly you aren't guarunteed to fix the issue. You need the electronic flasher