Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   Starter or ignition? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/31415-starter-ignition.html)

nparcel 04-16-2011 11:21 AM

Starter or ignition?

99 B2500, 2.3L, 5 speed manual

Battery is new a couple weeks ago, fully charged and lights shine bright when turning the key, so its not a bad battery.

We were able to start the truck by roll starting it. So while the truck was running I pushed the clutch in and turned the key, and the starter made the nasty sound of trying to start the truck while the engine is running. I dont know if this rules out the starter being bad or not, I had it tested a month or two ago and it was funtioning properly then.

The relay seems to be working, turn the key to acc and the relay clicks, so I assume that means the relay is good. I have not tried connecting the positive battery to the starter yet, that is my next attempt to rule the starter out, I assume the positive battery to the red striped wire should turn the starter.

I am going to start investigating into the ignition switch. I looked up the switch and it looks more like a small 2x4 box. Is this the ignition switch? Also are there any more areas I should look into for this problem.

Also, Haynes manuals are terrible in my opinion. Is there a better option out there for repair manuals?

FireRanger 04-16-2011 11:30 AM

Re: Starter or ignition?

Did this only happen once?

nparcel 04-16-2011 12:05 PM

It has not happened previously. I was having trouble starting the truck earlier, the battery was from 2005, so it was replaced and the truck started fine. That was about 2 months ago for the battery replacement.

The no start on the new battery started recently. After roll starting the truck it will not start again after the engine is turned off.

Doctor Wily 04-16-2011 08:47 PM

so just to clarify when you turn the key over the motor does not turn at all. the starter motor doesn't whirr or spin or make any noise what so ever? the headlights stay bright when you turn the key?

nparcel 04-17-2011 08:48 AM

1 Attachment(s)
New starter switch, still turn the key and nothing engages. Pulled the starter and found an issue. Not sure if this would cause the starter to not engage at all.

nparcel 04-22-2011 06:08 AM

1 Attachment(s)
I called all the parts stores in town, searched the internet up and down and wasn't able to find a place that carries starter brush kits. I finally found one for $20 from a guy in Norwalk Ohio selling various car and tractor starter supplies. The package finally arrived last night!

I gave the starter a good cleaning, installed the new brush assembly and put it back on the truck. I was a little nervous when I was hooking the battery up, wondering what I was going to do next if it didn't start, but the engine came to life with a turn of the key. Hopefully this one will last another 170k.

So if you are looking for some starter parts, don't forget to check out Weitzels in Norwalk.

flyoil 04-22-2011 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nparcel (Post 393135)
New starter switch, still turn the key and nothing engages. Pulled the starter and found an issue. Not sure if this would cause the starter to not engage at all.

I don't see what could possibly be wrong..... lol! :eek: