Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Where's the TPS on my 2.3? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/31183-wheres-tps-2-3-a.html)

stephano 04-13-2011 01:08 PM

Where's the TPS on my 2.3?

Where do I look for the TPS on my 2.3?

FireRanger 04-13-2011 01:28 PM

Re: Where's the TPS on my 2.3?

Well, its the THROTTLE position sensor.... It's on the side of the throttle body with two wires coming off of it. Small thing. two screws.

DangerRanger2000 04-13-2011 02:06 PM

What year is your truck? You need to make a signature so we can better help you with your questions, go to quicklinks and click on edit signature

stephano 04-13-2011 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DangerRanger2000 (Post 388895)
What year is your truck? You need to make a signature so we can better help you with your questions, go to quicklinks and click on edit signature

Sorry about that. There ya go.

DangerRanger2000 04-13-2011 02:18 PM

I dont know if that year had a TPS.

S13minus1 04-13-2011 03:13 PM

pretty much all vehicles have a tps. follow the black intake tubing to where it clamps onto the intake manifold. right by that connection youll see a little half moon with a cable going to it, thats where the throttle plate is. on the other side of the throttle, there should be a, probably black, with wires coming out of it. that is the tps!

stephano 04-13-2011 03:16 PM

Well there is a larger flat plug which points straight down on the back side of the throttle body. I felt back there and whatever its plugging into did feel plastic but I could only feel one screw since it was such a tight area. Looks like it would be no fun trying to get it out. I called around to all the auto parts stores in my area and no one pulls codes so thats not an option unless I care to purchase a code reader. It would be nice if there was a way to tell if the TPS is working or out of wack with something like a volt tester.

S13minus1 04-13-2011 03:49 PM

there is. looking at pictures on google "1994 ford ranger 2.3 tps" and knowing pretty standard old fords, the outer two posts should have growing resistance as throttle increases. if it suddenly drops to 0, it is shorted. a pretty common problem.
that is, im doing this without a wiring diagram.

stephano 04-13-2011 05:14 PM

Thanks again. I may try to mess around with resistance but just for kicks.....if I really wanted to know if the stupid thing is working or not, why cant I just unhook it? It then wont be doing anything and therefor if its truly not working then nothing will change, right?

FireRanger 04-13-2011 08:36 PM

I dont know what will happen if u disconnect it but I don't think it will help. It is the only way the computer knows how much throttle you're applying.

[Posted with my Android mobile device using Tapatalk Pro]

S13minus1 04-14-2011 04:25 PM

it will think your throttle is at an impossible amount of closed throttle. it might throw a CEL because maf / map sensor readings won't be "rational", and thus your load cell for the fuel mapping will probably be off as well. basically, dont.
what issue are you having?

stephano 04-14-2011 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by S13minus1 (Post 390019)
it will think your throttle is at an impossible amount of closed throttle. it might throw a CEL because maf / map sensor readings won't be "rational", and thus your load cell for the fuel mapping will probably be off as well. basically, dont.
what issue are you having?

Instead of retyping everything, I'll just link you the thread regarding the issues my truck has. http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cyl...-my-2-3-a.html Basically I dont know what to place blame on except the IAC. I was only looking at the TPS because someone listed that as a possible cause as well. Also, I did unhook the TPS and it idled fine until I started driving down the road and then it uncontrollably went to 3-4k RPM but would settle down again as soon as I stopped moving. So I only can guess that the TPS is working since as soon as I reconnected the TPS, everything went back to the way it was?

FireRanger 04-14-2011 04:54 PM

That test indicates nothing about the condition of the TPS. Just because it is sensing correctly at idle doesn't mean it is sensing correcting in other positions. Those things fail by giving erratic readings in various positions of the throttle. Which causes exactly what you're describing.

S13minus1 04-14-2011 06:22 PM

yes the tps seems to be working. how much slack do you have in the throttle cable?

stephano 04-14-2011 10:24 PM

There's no slack in the throttle. I guess it makes sense that the TPS could be sending incorrect readings throughout the throttle range so..... But since there isn't anything I've found that shows how to test the TPS, I may have to just buy one to find out if it was the problem or not. Sad waste of money but that seems the be the norm. For a last ditch effort, I have unhooked the battery trying to clear any residual power from the system and possibly I can reset the TPS like some other throttle positioning systems I've worked on. Might not work but its free to find out.:joyman: