Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Mazda M50D- R1 trans problem (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/31168-mazda-m50d-r1-trans.html)

mboling98 04-13-2011 06:52 AM

Mazda M50D- R1 trans problem

So I was drivin home last weekend. When I was slowin down for a red light. I shifted from 4th to 3rd at about 30 mph and then I lost all power. The trans made a noise. Its kind of hard to put in words what the noise sounded like, but i'm going to say it sounded like a piece of sheet metal slapping the spokes of a bike tire thats spinning extremely fast. Now for the part that i'm confused about. I can put it in any gear. The clutch pedal is the same as it has allways been ( nice and firm). I can move the truck, but have to be very gental with the gas. If i give to much it makes the noise and i lose all power. If i don't give it enough the same happens.I can shift through all the gears as long as it is moving fast enough. So my question is do you think its the clutch or the trans. Plz explain your opinions i will greatly appreciate it.

Odins4x4 04-13-2011 07:00 AM

Re: Mazda M50D- R1 trans problem

Im thinking its the transmission. If it was the clutch you wouldnt be able to shift right if at all.

mboling98 04-13-2011 07:37 AM

Well i was thinking the clutch cause if it was tranny there would be at least one gear i could not shift to. I'm thinking that maybe the clutch disk itself might be the problem but not sure. The only thing i can think of to make the noise is either the teeth on the clucth disk broke or the main shaft sheered a gear.

Gumcrew2 04-13-2011 09:27 AM

Sounds like the transmission to me

Either way gonna suck and be expensive : /

Odins4x4 04-13-2011 10:21 AM

Not really you can find a relatively cheap m5od with a clutch from a junk yard or online. The hard part is making the swap.

mboling98 04-13-2011 01:12 PM

I have already found a couple at my local yard. There pretty cheap about $70. The hardest part of the swap is getting the exhaust off. It a V6 so it has to come off and it's never been off. So I went got so new exhaust bolts just in case. I'm hopin its just the clutch though. I mean i can always wish right.

pooleo 04-13-2011 06:21 PM

prolly the trans. and prolly ATF casued the failure.

You can pull the trans without taking the exhaust off, you have to turn the trans sideways to the pass side. It will slip right out :D

Gumcrew2 04-13-2011 09:26 PM

Huh, who knew they were that cheap? I badly need a 5th gear and am looking for a tranny to convert and replace my 4speed

mboling98 04-14-2011 05:22 AM

Yeah I tryed to do that when I put the cheap clutch in it and the tranny would not pass through the exhaust at all. No matter which way i turned it. Just would not happen. I found the trans cheap at my local pull-a-part junk yard. They're pretty cheap on all they're prices. You can get a complete V8 engine for around $150. No matter the size. When I say complete I mean everything you need to start the engine.

Gumcrew2 04-14-2011 04:43 PM

Well yea I can go junkyard pull a $100 motor as well, with all accessories.

I was questioning them selling for that ELSEWHERE. I've run a $100 junkyard motor for 114k before and did all I could ask

mboling98 04-14-2011 06:02 PM

Well found the problem. The clutch spring retaining ring broke in one section. It was allowing the center spin freely in the clutch and the sound was the center smacking the springs.

Gumcrew2 04-14-2011 09:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mboling98 (Post 390131)
Well found the problem. The clutch spring retaining ring broke in one section. It was allowing the center spin freely in the clutch and the sound was the center smacking the springs.

Now that's a find. At least its not a horrible one

mboling98 04-15-2011 10:25 AM

yeah its a hell of lot cheaper.