Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   check engine light (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/3114-check-engine-light.html)

RangerLuc 10-04-2009 05:10 PM

check engine light

engine lights been on for a while. i fixed what brang it on but the light is still on and i took it to auto zone and there are no problems with my truck so i just need to get the check engine light off. any suggestions???

2001xlt4d 10-04-2009 05:23 PM

drive for about 100 miles and it will reset everything..

STL 10-04-2009 06:02 PM

unhook the battery cables for 15 minutes

FoMoCo 10-04-2009 09:39 PM

unhook the batt, or if you have a scangauge you can clear the light

modelageek 10-05-2009 07:55 AM

you can ask the peeps at autozone to let you clear the codes. they are not suppose to but you can. also like the others said unhook the battery for a little bit but keep the truck door open so the light will stay on and drain any extra juice

RangerLuc 10-05-2009 08:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelageek (Post 20621)
you can ask the peeps at autozone to let you clear the codes. they are not suppose to but you can. also like the others said unhook the battery for a little bit but keep the truck door open so the light will stay on and drain any extra juice

wait ur sayin drain the battery? then jump it

modelageek 10-05-2009 08:45 AM

I am not saying to drain the battery. unhook the battery and if you put a light on it helps drain any juice that might be left in the puter. heres a more technical answer

Battery voltage is stored in a capacitor and is supplied to the computer to keep the memory alive. The way around this is to disconnect the battery and then hold down on the horn button.

this will drain the small electrical current that is stored in the control modules capacitor. this will reset check engine light for sure.

modelageek 10-05-2009 08:48 AM

Also if you reset the light this way it will take your truck a little bit to relearn everything so it might seem to idle rough etc. etc. until you drive it a little

West 10-05-2009 09:28 AM

I'm pretty sure that unhooking the battery will not reset/ turn the check engine light off. His sig says that his truck is an 01, if it was an older truck that was OBD 1, then the battery trick may work. If whatever caused the light is fixed, then there is most likely another problem.

modelageek 10-05-2009 09:34 AM

He said he went to the zone and they read it for him and no codes were thrown.

RangerLuc 10-05-2009 09:40 AM

ya it worked. i just did it and the lights off. thanks fellas

STL 10-05-2009 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by West (Post 20632)
I'm pretty sure that unhooking the battery will not reset/ turn the check engine light off. His sig says that his truck is an 01, if it was an older truck that was OBD 1, then the battery trick may work. If whatever caused the light is fixed, then there is most likely another problem.

Disconnecting the negative battery cable from the battery for 15 minutes will reset the light on a OBDII vehicle

modelageek 10-05-2009 01:59 PM

I will be curious to see if the light comes back on. Please keep us posted

RangerLuc 10-05-2009 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelageek (Post 20676)

ok will do

West 10-05-2009 08:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelageek (Post 20676)

As am I. The vehicles I've tried it on doesn't work, and the battery was disconnected all night.