Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Can not get little truck pass 35MPH (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/30957-little-truck-pass-35mph.html)

713cableman 04-10-2011 10:38 AM

Can not get little truck pass 35MPH

I found a 94 in rough shape but it was running fine for a week or so. How I can not get any power out if it. Starts and idles fine. Put it in gear and takes off rough. Get up into third and no more power. Can not get over 35 without it acting like it not getting fuel. Changed plugs, coil,plug wires,fuel filter. Got a error code for the mass air flow and change it. Check fuel pressure on fuel rail and it showing 35PSI. I can run the engine up over 3500RPM out of gear and it runs fine. Put in gear and it goes to hell. Any help.......
thanks
cableman713

FireRanger 04-10-2011 10:56 AM

Re: Can not get little truck pass 35MPH

Well there's your problem. Fuel pump is probably toast. It should be more like 65 PSI. You can run the RPM up in neutral because there is no load on the engine. With a load (ie, in gear trying to move down the road), it will use a lot more fuel at the same RPM. And with that crappy fuel pressure, it won't get it.

AlxGry 04-10-2011 10:57 AM

Yeah it should definatly be in the sixties

713cableman 04-10-2011 11:08 AM

Thanks for the info. Got a new fuel pump hoping that wasn't it. It looks like it going to be a long day trying to get the tank off. Lots of rusted bolts up there.

FireRanger 04-10-2011 11:09 AM

You can take the bed off too. But that's not exactly easier if you don't have a few people to help manhandle it. And the bed mounting bolts tend to be just as rusted in place.

Airtruksrus 04-10-2011 08:51 PM

Just kinda curious, i did have the 2.3l before swapping out to the V8 and it uses the same sensors as the 2.3, am using the same tank and frame mounted pump and the installed fuel pressure gauge is showing around 30 psi at idle and goes up to about 38 psi around full throttle using 19 lb injectors with no noticiable problems. Had the same kinda problems that were described about losing power when i thought the splitfire plugs weren't giving enough spark and changed them out to double platinums when the engine started misfiring badly at around 3500 rpm and killing any further acceleration. Went back to the splitfires and the problems went away, appeared to have cleared up the previous problem. The only other thing that showed a bad fuel pressure problem is when the alternator died which drained the battery, slowed down the fuel pump and noticed at about 21psi the engine misfired so bad that the catalytic converters started glowing orange due to fuel starvation. So unless you have the same problems with the catalytic converters, you might check some of the other sensors just as a secondary check (02, tpi, coolant and ect) to see if they change voltage readings as the engine is run up to around 2000 rpm and back to idle. Also the fuel injectors might be getting clogged up as a possibility.
Other than that, good luck.

RAT Ranger 04-11-2011 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 713cableman (Post 385478)
Thanks for the info. Got a new fuel pump hoping that wasn't it. It looks like it going to be a long day trying to get the tank off. Lots of rusted bolts up there.

===========================
What was your fuel pressure after NEW pump?

Could be the fuel pressure regulator.................and if you still can't get over 35mph, then it could be a stopped up cat. conv.....

FireRanger 04-11-2011 06:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Airtruksrus (Post 386058)
...when i thought the splitfire plugs weren't giving enough spark... etc etc.

First, if you have a Ford engine, those are the wrong spark plugs and they won't work right no matter what else is wrong. And on his engine, the fuel pressure needs to be in the 60's. Regardless of what your swapped out V8 ran correctly on, his will not work at 35psi.

Yes, it could be the regulator, but the pump is much more likely.

Airtruksrus 04-11-2011 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 386470)
First, if you have a Ford engine, those are the wrong spark plugs and they won't work right no matter what else is wrong. And on his engine, the fuel pressure needs to be in the 60's. Regardless of what your swapped out V8 ran correctly on, his will not work at 35psi.

Yes, it could be the regulator, but the pump is much more likely.

Well, lets find out what kind of pressure comes out of the new pump, then i'll learn something new. It's the same setup mines running on from the 2.3.

as for the plugs, the v8 originally had autolite platinums. Changed out to new splitfires after the rebuild. Tried out the double platinums and caused it to misfire badly before going back.

713cableman 04-12-2011 03:35 AM

Changed out pump. PSI is now 45. Seen spec on this web page for that engine and it said 30 to 40.Still wasn't the trouble. Found that the wire harness to the front coil was shorting out when it was under a load. Don't understand how or why it would not show up if the engine was running with out aload.

FireRanger 04-12-2011 05:00 AM

Very strange. But glad it's working.

modelageek 04-12-2011 07:25 AM

a 1994 ranger fuel pressure should be koeo=35-45, koer 35-45, koer with vacuum line removed from FPR 25-35.
you also want to get to proper psi Koeo with in a few cycles. After the truck is shut off the pressure should not drop more than 8psi in 5 minutes

In 1998+ the FPR was moved to the tank and the returned line was removed.....on those trucks the PSI is 65 plus or minus

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by 713cableman (Post 387488)
Changed out pump. PSI is now 45. Seen spec on this web page for that engine and it said 30 to 40.Still wasn't the trouble. Found that the wire harness to the front coil was shorting out when it was under a load. Don't understand how or why it would not show up if the engine was running with out aload.

for future members removing the bed is by far the best way to install a fuel pump for the average DIY. You get to test the truck out before reinstalling the bed......the hard part is wrestling off the 6 rusted bolts........I replace them with hex bolts that I get at boltdepot.com for $3 each. also when the bed is off it is a good time to check replace hangers and shackles on the rear leafspring(depending on where the ranger has spent most of its life)................I have a write up if someone wants it....