Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Electrical Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/)
-   -   Wiring issue fuse box 2002 (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/electrical-tech/30864-wiring-issue-fuse-box-2002-a.html)

zipsayain 04-08-2011 08:02 PM

Wiring issue fuse box 2002

What do make of this?
http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4-08184325.jpg
That is fuse 26 I think.

I got more like this under dash with the blinkers. I try tomorrow to get pics on that.

My issue are, no turn signal, hazard light,wiper motor and the speed ometer not working.

2002ranger

wvcat 04-09-2011 04:29 AM

Re: Wiring issue fuse box 2002

Ouch! Something is shorted out somewhere...

FireRanger 04-09-2011 05:55 AM

Alright, check it out.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/_U...2fusepanel.jpg

Here is your fuse panel's layout. But you're looking at it from the back with the wires. I don't know about you, but I get dizzy and dyslexic trying to correspond reverse things like that. So here's the reverse side of the fuse panel next to your picture.

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/_U...fusepanel2.jpg

http://i1228.photobucket.com/albums/...4-08184325.jpg

Your burned wire is in the second fuse in from the right on the last full row. That is in fact fuse #26. Not good my friend. According to the manual, fuse #26 is "Battery saver relay, Auxiliary relay box, Restraint Central Module(RCM), Generic Electronic, Module (GEM), Instrument
cluster".
Half your truck runs off that circuit.

First things first is disconnect the battery and LEAVE IT DISCONNECTED. When that wire melted, it will also have melted any number other wires that were in contact with it. Powering anything up with all those wires compromised can burn your truck to the ground.

For that to happen, two things needed to happen at once.

1) The fuse didn't work or some idiot (?) bypassed it with a piece of metal or something.

2) Something in the circuit faulted straight to ground. This could be a component on the circuit (any of those listed above). Or it could be something cut into the insulation on the wiring faulting it to ground. Or someone else wired something else into the circuit and that faulted to ground.

When that happened, unlimited current was allowed to flow through that wire to the short circuit and melted the insulation off. It will also have melted the insulation off any other wires it was near or touching. So you have to trace the whole thing from the fuse panel to where the fault is located. Cut out the melted wire and replace it with good wire. Find and fix the fault. Good to go.

zipsayain 04-09-2011 11:32 AM

indeed I'm not going to mess with it. I have to take it to some one that know more then me.

----------

The one thing I was forgot to ask was, when was looking on the back of the fuse box . I notice one or maybe two wire, was sharing a spot(fuse number) I don't think that normal. like lets say spot 1(fuse) there one wire, coming in from the fire wall or what ever. And other wire from spot 1 is going to spot(3). I going get someone fix this .

FireRanger 04-09-2011 11:57 AM

Nope, that is all perfectly normal. Everything i see on there, other than the one that melted, it normal factory wiring.

zipsayain 04-09-2011 02:07 PM

Thanks for the info.

zipsayain 04-09-2011 05:14 PM

Your burned wire is in the second fuse in from the right on the last full row. That is in fact fuse #26. Not good my friend. According to the manual, fuse #26 is "Battery saver relay, Auxiliary relay box, Restraint Central Module(RCM), Generic Electronic, Module (GEM), Instrument
cluster".
Half your truck runs off that circuit.

Lets go back a minute. To What you said early. About fuse #26.

1)Battery saver relay.(That would explain why I'm having trouble keeping my battery up.Or I got another problem.

2)Restraint central module. I'm not sure what that is.yet.

3)Generic Electronic module(GEM). I was able to look that up and found
The Generic Electronic Module (GEM) is found on Ford vehicles and is basically a Body Control Computer. It controls many of the following functions on most Ford vehicles:

* Warning chimes and warning lamps( I haven't heard it yet)
* One-touch down driver’s side window(N/A on my truck
* Daytime Running Lamps( Haven't check)
* Heated rear window(I wish) (But no)
* Windshield washers and wipers(So that's why,that's not working
* Battery saver ( Another Battery Saver,,Hmm??)
* Remote key less entry (N/A on my truck)
* Illuminated entry with remote key less entry (N/A on my truck)
* Interior lighting( I can't check this,,because there's no bulb. Yet.
* Perimeter anti-theft( there's a chip in my key, does that count)
* Four-wheel drive (N/A on my truck)

4)Instrument cluster ( What would that all retain to??) As far as I see, the only thing for me is my speedometer doesn't work.

So a quick run down again.Thing that don't work.
1.Battery
2.speedometer.
3.turn signal and hazard signal
4.windshield wiper and washer fluid.

I wonder if this spot #26 or has it or has it spread else where? ( Like you said, wires get real hot and melt and the one's close to it, get some damage from it.)

FireRanger 04-09-2011 07:53 PM

The restraint control module is the fancy ford name for the SRS computer. It controls the airbag system.

The GEM is a as you described, basically the body computer. Instrument cluster is vague, I don't know which components of the cluster it powers as there are a few instrument cluster related circuits.

It remains highly unlikely that any of these components are the cause of the overload. They just don't fail like that.

Can you please tell us what is in fuse slot #26? Like what capacity fuse, if any, is in there. Also, we'll need to know what kind of accessories and add-ons you done to the interior and exterior of the truck that involve electrical wiring.

zipsayain 04-10-2011 05:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 385033)
The restraint control module is the fancy ford name for the SRS computer. It controls the airbag system.

The GEM is a as you described, basically the body computer. Instrument cluster is vague, I don't know which components of the cluster it powers as there are a few instrument cluster related circuits.

It remains highly unlikely that any of these components are the cause of the overload. They just don't fail like that.

Can you please tell us what is in fuse slot #26? Like what capacity fuse, if any, is in there. Also, we'll need to know what kind of accessories and add-ons you done to the interior and exterior of the truck that involve electrical wiring.

Well I just got this(ranger) a couple days, in hopes it would be better then the last vehicle(gas wise). I think the person that had it last had a sound system. I check the back speakers, and they are gone. I don't even see the factory speaker wires. I check behind the factory radio it looks good. I was afraid of seeing black electrically tape holding the wires together. But no, the factory radio wire harness is good.

There's no sound coming from the drivers side door(I haven't dug in to that yet,.The Left side door does have sound.

As for the fuse box, spot #26, it had a 20 amp fuse. It should be a 10 amp fuse.

FireRanger 04-10-2011 06:00 AM

Well even a 20 amp fuse should have flown. The amount of current required to completely vaporize the insulation off an entire length of wire is more in the neighborhood of triple digits.

You bought the truck in this condition? With speakers missing and burned up electrical systems?

zipsayain 04-10-2011 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 385286)
Well even a 20 amp fuse should have flown. The amount of current required to completely vaporize the insulation off an entire length of wire is more in the neighborhood of triple digits.

You bought the truck in this condition? With speakers missing and burned up electrical systems?

no, i didn't no until after. But I knew it was gamble when you buy used and as is.

Under dash(steering wheel) I notice wires going threw the firewall. Is that the only exit for the wires? Its funny looking, looks like a plug with a handle?

If the damage wires is just inside the cab, can just replace the wires harness inside or would a experience wire guy would want to replace everything outside the cab?

FireRanger 04-10-2011 07:30 AM

Yes that giant plug with a handle is the normal through-the-firewall wiring harness.

That circuit only has interior components. The RCM, GEM, and instrument cluster are all inside the cab. So you shouldn't find any problem outside. Only the wire(s) that are melted need to be replaced. You can cut the melted section out and splice in a new piece of wire.

Now, with that said, we still don't know WHY this happened in the first place. The only logical assumption I can make is the previous owner did something that shored that circuit out, and had the fuse bypassed. So, we can only hope it doesn't happen again once you repair everything.

It's a crap shoot.

zipsayain 04-12-2011 06:40 PM

Well FireRanger, It's in the shop. Guy is convince he can patch everything up with out buying an harness. Unless he see something else.(worse)

FireRanger 04-12-2011 06:42 PM

.... and hope whatever caused this to happen isn't still a condition that will repeat itself.

zipsayain 04-12-2011 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 388218)
.... and hope whatever caused this to happen isn't still a condition that will repeat itself.

Yeah, that's what I thinking. And it's bugging me.