Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   95 stops accelerating while driving (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/30526-95-stops-accelerating-driving.html)

cieramavdaze 04-04-2011 11:46 AM

95 stops accelerating while driving

I am having all sorts of issues with my ranger. First off, while driving randomly it will stop accelerating, give it a few pumps or maybe just seconds and it will begin to drive normally. Also ocassionally when you try to start it it will crank but not turn over. Try it a few times or turn it on and leave it a couple seconds then try and it will start right up no problem. Can not fill tank or it will overflow. Was told to replace the filler neck for that so getting that done this week. This morning it was cold in denver (not sure if that mattered) But on the way to work almost every stoplight/ sign I cam to the engine would stop, luckly the truck had no issues of starting back up. Please any suggestions and obviously the cheaper the better.:banghead: I have put to much money into this truck as it is and just want the damn thing to run fine.

WildlandFirefighter 04-04-2011 01:52 PM

Re: 95 stops accelerating while driving

Is yers a 4.0l? If so, you have this listed in the wrong forum.

Also run engine codes on your truck and it might pull up a problem.

cieramavdaze 04-05-2011 07:29 AM

Yes it is a 4.ol. I am new to the forum stuff. Where should I repost this for the best results? I am getting the filler neck and fuel filter replaced end of this week they are going to run for codes then.

modelageek 04-05-2011 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cieramavdaze (Post 379349)
Yes it is a 4.ol. I am new to the forum stuff. Where should I repost this for the best results? I am getting the filler neck and fuel filter replaced end of this week they are going to run for codes then.

you should post in the 4.0 L forum...........are you having the work done or doing it yourself...............there is a chance you are having a fuel pump issue.........if that is the case you would want to diagnose it before doing the filler neck because you might need to drop the tank to replace it. i know you have to drop the tank or remove the bed to replace the pump

FireRanger 04-05-2011 12:48 PM

The fuel not going into the tank is a big sign here. Next time it won't start, pop open the gas cap and see if it starts.

modelageek 04-05-2011 12:53 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 379565)
The fuel not going into the tank is a big sign here. Next time it won't start, pop open the gas cap and see if it starts.

try what fireranger said.......I see you are knew here.....there are a lot of people that here that can help you........it is always a good idea to try and figure out what is wrong before doing any work........

You can bring it to autozone or another store and have them read the codes.......then post them on this site..get the actual code #'s

modelageek 04-05-2011 01:09 PM

Quote:

just so you know a fuel filter costs $10 and takes about 10 minutes to change.......also you can buy that filler neck for about $60 http://www.am-autoparts.com/1995/For...illerNeck.html

I am not sure if you need to drop the tank but I am sure someone here would know.......

cieramavdaze 04-06-2011 08:38 AM

I already replaced the fuel pump that's when I discovered I needed a new filler neck but was having a hell of a time finding the part cheap. Should have gotten on here before but this shop is getting it and doing the work around $300 including part. Lesson learned. I will try to get the codes read soon and will try the opening the gas cap if it does not start but, what would that tell me? If it starts without the gas cap on what does that point to?

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by modelageek (Post 379576)
just so you know a fuel filter costs $10 and takes about 10 minutes to change.......also you can buy that filler neck for about $60 http://www.am-autoparts.com/1995/For...illerNeck.html

I am not sure if you need to drop the tank but I am sure someone here would know.......

thanks for the website that is awesome! Will come in handy in the future. as for now unfortunantly the part is already on it way to my mechanic.

So I thought I was on 4.0 L tech, at least that's what link said.

Was wondering if maybe all this can be linked to maybe a fuel sensor or MAF sensor. Lately when I put 20 bucks in my tank (can not fill all the way will overflow) The gas gauge will read around half a tank. Drive to work and back and it's on 1/4 tank, maybe the next time I start it up it's on E or close to half a tank again. Thanks for all your help ya'll. Certainly got myself into a handfull here. But he runs good for the most part and as much as I have put into it might as well continue, can't sell it for the amount I have spent. Eventually it will be running like a champ!

Doctor Wily 04-06-2011 09:11 PM

did you install the fuel pump or did you have the mechanic do it? did the fuel gauge issue happen after replacing the pump? reason I ask is because on my dodge dakota the pump has a float arm that can get caught up on the side of the gas tank if it isn't installed just right and cause a weird reading on the gauge.

just a thought,

cheers!

cieramavdaze 04-07-2011 07:20 AM

A friend of mine who works on trucks installed the fuel pump. The gas gauge issue has only came after the pump. I trust him to do work but maybe he installed it wrong. Dropped earl (my truck) off to get the fillerneck this morning. Hoping maybe the gauge issue and randomly decelerating issue are linked to the fuel filler neck and not getting proper pressure.

modelageek 04-07-2011 07:28 AM

Did you ever answer Firerangers ?

FireRanger 04-07-2011 12:01 PM

.... subtle reminder.
Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 379565)

Doctor Wily 04-07-2011 08:36 PM

Fireranger i'm curious to know what you are thinking with the fuel not going into the tank. what do you suspect is going on?

FireRanger 04-07-2011 08:44 PM

In order to pump fuel in, air has to be displaced and leave the tank. If you're pumping fuel in and it just splashes back out at you, it leads me to believe that the air isn't going out as the fuel is going in.

If the air can't get out, it also can't get in. Pump fuel out of the tank long enough, it will create a vacuum that the pump can't overcome. Popping open the cap will equalize that.

That's my theory from a few thousand miles away.

cieramavdaze 04-08-2011 07:27 AM

fireranger: It's not that the fuel won't go in, it's that it was overflowing when I tried to fill the tank.

I replaced the filler neck and fuel filter yesterday. Was happy hoping it would solve some problems. drove it twice after getting truck back. Parked at work and when I went to leave......truck won't start. Tried opening the cap, nothing, tried leting it sit with they key on and pumped the gas pedal a couple times....nothing, I had one guy under the tank and one guy under the hood, it sounds like the fuel pump is not even activating when you turn the key. The fuel pump was replaced 3 months ago, bought it from autozone, the one they claimed is the best they can offer, my step father (semi truck mechanic) thinks it might be a sensor or a relay to the pump. Any other ideas he can look into?:questionmark:

Have not gotten to drive it enough to see if the gas gauge is still messing up and see if it still stops accelerating randomly while driving.

modelageek 04-08-2011 07:59 AM

Swap the fuel pump relay with another one if you can. On my truck the fuel pump relay and fan relay are the same..you also might want to plan on doing a fuel pressure test.....Have any of thee "mechanics" done a fuel pressure test on the truck at any time.....or did they just throw a fuel pump at it?.....

cieramavdaze 04-11-2011 07:40 AM

No pressure check has been done to my knowledge, except I did go get emissions done don't they do that? It passed. Will look into the relay we believe that could be the problem. When the truck does not start it seems when you try the pump does not get activated. Unfortunantly one of those that everytime it won't start I am nowhere neer a mechanic, then when I get it to someone it works fine of corse so hard to test if something is bad when it works fine. This week going to take it to my step dad's semi truck repair shop once everyday and turn it on off see if I can get it to not start so that we can do some diagnostics.

pcityranger 04-11-2011 07:45 AM

timing

modelageek 04-11-2011 07:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cieramavdaze (Post 386497)
No pressure check has been done to my knowledge, except I did go get emissions done don't they do that? It passed. Will look into the relay we believe that could be the problem. When the truck does not start it seems when you try the pump does not get activated. Unfortunantly one of those that everytime it won't start I am nowhere neer a mechanic, then when I get it to someone it works fine of corse so hard to test if something is bad when it works fine. This week going to take it to my step dad's semi truck repair shop once everyday and turn it on off see if I can get it to not start so that we can do some diagnostics.

if you are unable or not competent to swap relays in the distribution box you probably should just bring it to a mechanic

FireRanger 04-11-2011 10:06 AM

I think there is a good chance this has something to do with the fuel pump relay too. Its a 10 second thing to swap it with one of the other non-critical relays in the power distrobution box under the hood.

cieramavdaze 04-12-2011 09:08 AM

Good news!!!So truck was not starting yesterday. The ignition was replaced about 5 months ago, I had noticed it seemed a little loose lately, apparently this is my problem. When the truck does not start I have to turn the key off, play with the plastic around the ignition to line it up correctly and then the truck starts fine. So at least I know the pump I replaced is fine and the relays are fine. Assuming it's an electrical issue but have narrowed down the issue. Now how to fix the issue I am still not sure of. So I don't get stranded anymore which is nice but it can still take a few minutes to get the ignition right to get it started. I do not know much about electrical, so do not not want to do any exploritory and cause more damage but hopefully my step dad can fix the problem. Still not sure what to do about the gas gauge being off, guess will just have to use my best judgment on that one. I put some fuel injector cleaner thru hopefully that will help with deaccelerating isuue (which has not happened in a month or so now)

modelageek 04-12-2011 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cieramavdaze (Post 387647)
Good news!!!So truck was not starting yesterday. The ignition was replaced about 5 months ago, I had noticed it seemed a little loose lately, apparently this is my problem. When the truck does not start I have to turn the key off, play with the plastic around the ignition to line it up correctly and then the truck starts fine. So at least I know the pump I replaced is fine and the relays are fine. Assuming it's an electrical issue but have narrowed down the issue. Now how to fix the issue I am still not sure of. So I don't get stranded anymore which is nice but it can still take a few minutes to get the ignition right to get it started. I do not know much about electrical, so do not not want to do any exploritory and cause more damage but hopefully my step dad can fix the problem. Still not sure what to do about the gas gauge being off, guess will just have to use my best judgment on that one. I put some fuel injector cleaner thru hopefully that will help with deaccelerating isuue (which has not happened in a month or so now)

I am not sure what "ignition was replaced" means. Your ignition locked cylinder can be replaced in a few minutes with a philips head screwdriver. There also is an ignition switch under the steering column

cieramavdaze 04-13-2011 07:36 AM

Sorry. Where you actually insert the key on the steering column. Someone triede to steel my truck and jacked up the inside so my key could not turn it on. I had the intire thing replaced. When I say it does not line up, I mean the plastic guide around the metal where you insert the key gets out of wack and the actuall whole assembly seems loose as well and I believe it turns more towards me then it should or at least used to.

modelageek 04-13-2011 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cieramavdaze (Post 388634)
Sorry. Where you actually insert the key on the steering column. Someone triede to steel my truck and jacked up the inside so my key could not turn it on. I had the intire thing replaced. When I say it does not line up, I mean the plastic guide around the metal where you insert the key gets out of wack and the actuall whole assembly seems loose as well and I believe it turns more towards me then it should or at least used to.

bring it back to whoever replaced it.....it should last more than 5 months

cieramavdaze 04-14-2011 08:44 AM

Yeah going to call the guy that did it. But thinking if he messed it up once what's to say he won't do it again. Maybe better off going somewhere else. I hate to spend more money but would rather have a working vehichle I know is done correctly. I think trying to save money is what got me into some of this trucks issues in the first place. Well put a full tank in (first time in 3 months) and some injector cleaner. Truck already seems to run better with a full tank, I hope the injector cleaner will further help and get rid of the bogging down issue, get ignition fixed (again) and hopefully all my truck worries will be gone.....till the next time one of my fords takes a dive on me lol. Anybody know a good paint place in denver?