Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   Effect of a 3" Body Lift on the Drivetrain? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/30126-effect-3-body-lift-drivetrain.html)

SCrangerdude 03-29-2011 05:45 PM

Effect of a 3" Body Lift on the Drivetrain?

Hi guys,

I know a lot of you run body lifts, so I wanted to get some of your opinions. I stopped and talked to my local mechanic today and asked for a quote on installing a 3" body lift on my Ranger. (2000, 4x4 offroad, 186k). He quoted me $350 parts and labor, which I liked the sound of, but he actually tried to talk me out of it. He said that the 3" lift will put a lot of stress on my driveshaft and u-joints, and potentially cause me some issues down the road... but I wasn't sure how seriously to take him since I know how many of you guys on here have body lifts. My question is, considering the mileage of my Ranger, do you think I should be worried about what he said and go with a suspension lift instead, or just go ahead and do the body lift?

STL 03-29-2011 05:48 PM

Re: Effect of a 3" Body Lift on the Drivetrain?

All you are doing is lifting the cab and bed off the frame 3" how are you gonna mess the drive shaft and u joints up?

HazardousRanger 03-29-2011 05:51 PM

its the bigger tires that will have issues but if u have 4.10s ull be fine....bs on the mechanic...and do it urself too

AlxGry 03-29-2011 05:52 PM

some mechanics man people are crazy

HazardousRanger 03-29-2011 05:53 PM

and my uncle who is a mechanic worked hard to convince me to shell out for a suspension lift...

im 2wd...no way am i gonna do that lol get the body lift and if u wanna go higher then get a sus lift on top of that

STL 03-29-2011 05:54 PM

Unless he was thinking of what some jeep owners do. They do like a body lift and drive train lift not sure how all that works.

You will be fine going with the lift. What gears do you have now? http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drive...xle-codes.html

DiabloBlanco 03-29-2011 05:55 PM

nothing...

2004xlmiller 03-29-2011 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazardousranger (Post 372787)
and my uncle who is a mechanic worked hard to convince me to shell out for a suspension lift...

im 2wd...no way am i gonna do that lol get the body lift and if u wanna go higher then get a sus lift on top of that

youre not really going higher off the ground eric. a body lift allows for bigger tires. because the frame stays in the same place, you still have stock ground clearence. granted you do get like an ich n a half with bigger tires.

HazardousRanger 03-29-2011 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 2004xlmiller (Post 372795)
youre not really going higher off the ground eric. a body lift allows for bigger tires. because the frame stays in the same place, you still have stock ground clearence. granted you do get like an ich n a half with bigger tires.

haha i know i worded it wrong then lol

but i do think you get better body ground clearance on uneven terraiin like ur back end wont get all fucked up but thats besides ur point

and doesnt a sus lift lift the frame? vs a body lift, lifts the body?

AlxGry 03-29-2011 06:05 PM

thats correct eric

edgeman4.0 03-29-2011 06:07 PM

i've been bodylifted for over a year and a half now with no issues and i beat the hell out of my truck.

if you do decide to do the lift, and want some help let me know... i live in greenville.

SCrangerdude 03-29-2011 06:10 PM

Haha, so many replies, thanks guys. I think that answers my question... I'll check what gears I have in the morning. I have no idea what the mechanic was talking about, but he was adamant that I not do it, so I figured it was worth checking out.

----------

Quote:

Originally Posted by hazardousranger (Post 372783)
its the bigger tires that will have issues ...and do it urself too

I wish man, I don't have the time between work and school though.

desjardo 03-29-2011 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgeman4.0 (Post 372811)
i've been bodylifted for over a year and a half now with no issues and i beat the hell out of my truck.

if you do decide to do the lift, and want some help let me know... i live in greenville.

Love this forum...

Thats your ticket bud. I did mine by myself and used the instructions. Lube your body bolts ahead of time and as long as you have a basic set of tools you can do it. But I am sure with someone who has done one the time is cut in half.

SCrangerdude 03-29-2011 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgeman4.0 (Post 372811)

Thanks for the offer man, I'll see how it works out. I need to wait a month or so before I buy the lift since I'm getting new wheels this month :p

DiabloBlanco 03-29-2011 06:30 PM

Mechanics are knowledgeable, but dont always have common sense, or want to listen to anyones opinion or reasoning.