Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   tow truck question (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/30032-tow-truck-question.html)

bbbbrass 03-28-2011 02:39 PM

tow truck question

So i'm curious about if i ever let a friend drive my ranger and they get stuck in a ditch (because i would never do such a thing), what would a tow truck pull on to get it out? My 2000 xlt supercab 2wd 3.0 doesn't have any tow hooks or a hitch. Even my old saturn had one tow hook like thing on it. Would they just wrap a cable around the axle?

ObsoleteE 03-28-2011 02:40 PM

Re: tow truck question

Axle or frame depending on the situation.

TerrenceStuart 03-28-2011 11:00 PM

most likely frame

bassplyer92517 03-29-2011 01:55 PM

I have the same truck as you and got stuck in the mud. I couldn't get to the axle so we had no choice but to use the bumper. I was just waiting for it to come flying off, but my friend pull me out with his tow strap no problems.

bbbbrass 03-29-2011 06:08 PM

well with all that said, other than putting on a hitch is there a recommended way to get a tow hook type thingy on the back of my truck. Should i just weld a tow hook on?

HazardousRanger 03-29-2011 06:28 PM

some guy on here is seeling the oem rear tow hook for 40 bucks...id pick it up if i were u

DiabloBlanco 03-29-2011 06:36 PM

Yeah towing is expensive, Fucking hell when i got wrecked They towed my truck 15 feet and charged me 175 bucks!

01B3000 03-29-2011 06:36 PM

Ive gotten suck in the snow, we wrapped his tow strap through my front bumper and around the frame, that worked fine

bassplyer92517 03-29-2011 08:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bbbbrass (Post 372813)
well with all that said, other than putting on a hitch is there a recommended way to get a tow hook type thingy on the back of my truck. Should i just weld a tow hook on?

I wouldn't trust a weld to pull you out. I would say bolting on a tow hitch is your best bet. But that's also coming from the guy who used a bumper thats rated like 1/4 of what my truck's weight is to pull it out. All I can say is I wish I would've had a tow hitch on there, it would've saved a lot of worrying.

MTman777 03-29-2011 11:49 PM

believe it or not.. they actually use your tires.. they loop a strap through it and pull.. my parents slid their car into a ditch sideways and the tow truck looped a strap through the front and back wheels on the drivers side and pulled it out sideways.. i was a little nervous watching but it all turned out good.

HazardousRanger 03-30-2011 08:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTman777 (Post 373330)
believe it or not.. they actually use your tires.. they loop a strap through it and pull.. my parents slid their car into a ditch sideways and the tow truck looped a strap through the front and back wheels on the drivers side and pulled it out sideways.. i was a little nervous watching but it all turned out good.

that doesnt seem so bad, considering the abuse the tires go thru everyday i would think they would be able to handle that, id be nervous too!