Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   Heater Doesnt Work (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/2989-heater-doesnt.html)

Bighomedog11 09-30-2009 01:00 PM

Heater Doesnt Work

Hey guys, My heater doesn't work :( And it is getting cold out. I took it to the shop awhile back and the guy told me there something wrong with the flap or something. I am wondering is there anyway to fix this myself before i take it to get repaired? I am going to take it to get repaired if i cant do it. But what i heard is i will have to remove the hole dash and stuff.

modelageek 10-01-2009 05:30 PM

blend door fix

here try this http://www.blenddoorfix.netfirms.com/

Bighomedog11 10-01-2009 06:15 PM

I think i am going to pass on trying this. Because i am not even sure if that's my problem.

modelageek 10-02-2009 05:52 AM

detail your problem

Gives us more details and we will try and help you. Post as much info as possible. What engine do u have? Does the heat work at all? Does the engine heat up? Are both hoses going to the heater core hot.Have you check your coolant? Etc etc

Bighomedog11 10-02-2009 11:56 AM

I have a 2.3L 4cylinder engine.
I did not have any radiator coolant in there for the longest. I am talking about in the jug! But i recently put some water in there and radiator fluid pour back into the jug so now there some radiator coolant in the jug.
The heater when i turn it on does not get hot. It just blows cold air, but the air condition works.

And idk how to check if both cords going to the heater core hot..

modelageek 10-02-2009 12:32 PM

the jug is the overflow tank for the radiater. when the coolant gets hot and cool it expands and contracks? and thus goes in and out of the overflow tank. . the 2 heater house come out of the firwall on the passenger side they are about 1" thick one goes to the waterpunp and the other goes to the top front of the engine. after the truck is warmed up feel them both to see it they are hot. what does your temp gauge say after the truck has been running. if your thermostat is stuck open the coolant never gets a chance to get hot and thus your heat will not work great. where are u located what is the tempature like. I am suspecting that you have the blend door problem that hte mechanic suggested but keep giving us info.

when you start the truck in the morning there should not be coolant going thru the upper radiater house. you can feel it . if there is coolant in there first thing in the morning the thermastat is stuck open and that is keeping the heat from working.. you should buy a manual or search the web and try and learn all the parts of the truck

Bighomedog11 10-02-2009 01:47 PM

Well i took it to get it checked. And they said the coils are getting hot..
They said my problem is the switch. I get some heat but when i do get heat its not super hot now.

They said if i get a new climate control and it will get hotter. Because the switch that turns the air/heat on and off is not working rite.

Like when i put it on outside air for heat it will blow some heat. When i put it on heat and another setting it will blow air or outside air. So theirs something wrong with the switch.

modelageek 10-03-2009 05:39 AM

well god luck with it.. I wonder if the switch problem the mechanic is talking about is actually the blend door being broken.

Clem 10-03-2009 06:29 AM

First suggestion, find a different mechanic. If you you took your truck to the same mechanic that is, they gave you 2 different problems, both of which they can charge a bundle for, then change out the thermostat or whatever and say they did something else.
The blend door repair requires a dash removal, this is not for the non mechanically inclined.
Thermostat stuck open, will take about an hour for you to do, thirty minutes for a shop to do, and the shop is going to charge you a minimum of $75, plus parts.
I would be curious if the heater hoses have ever been off of the heater core end?
If they have and were reversed when they were put back on, that is your problem. Heater cores are designed to flow in one direction only, if you reverse the hoses you will not get good heat.
In your place, I would do some checking on my own, and ask some more questions.
Even if the blend door is not working correctly or is broken, you should be getting good heat some where, all the door does is direct the heat according to where you want it to go. The heater controls on your truck are more than likely wire controls. With the engine off, move the top knob from one side to the other and listen for a "whump" sound, that would be the blend door shutting, if you have twist knobs you will have to have the engine running and the heater fan on, then turn the knob to different positions and feel around for a change in where the air is directed, defrost, panel, or floor.
You should be able to diagnose the problem yourself, then figure out how you want to go about fixing it.
Keep us posted as to what you find.

Ray

Redrocket 10-03-2009 07:10 AM

sounds to me like the blend door isent working. are the heator core is stoped up

Bighomedog11 10-03-2009 08:57 AM

Okay,
Well i changed the climate panel out. I bought a new one from the junkyard. And that help alittle. I get some heat now. But it is not super hot like it should be getting..

I am wondering where are the heater core plugs located at? Can i just unplug the core myself and see if they are clogged or try to unclog them? I am also wondering can i switch the core plugs like you said myself?

If i knew where the heater core was located i could probably do it myself.

Yes another Mechanic told me it was a blind door problem a few years back. But i am not sure if it really is or not.

Is it hard removing the dash and doing it yourself? Could i just try to mess with the heater core like you said. Because i am getting heat now but its just not super hot.

When i have the engine running and the heat blowing. And i turn the nob to panel,floor,defrost
I can feel the heat changing the direction and going to the correct parts.

The only problem is that when i turn it on defrost it blows out cold air. And when i have it on floor it will blow out somewhat hot heat.

So it might be a core clogged problem. Or switched like you said. Because the mechanic said my core hoes were getting hot.

Bighomedog11 10-03-2009 09:38 AM

Are those 2 pipes the heater core pipes?
http://www.s10mods.com/wp-content/up...core-flush.jpg
And if i unplug them will any fluid come out?
Should i unplug them and make sure their not clogged. And maybe swap them.. And see if i see any changes?

modelageek 10-03-2009 09:56 AM

IMHO. I think you need to get a manual and read and study it. That way you will get a bisic understanding of the heating and cooling system of you truck. I also would look at the problem logically. Ie. Did the heat work fine for a while and then stop working. And if that is the case. Was there any service done between when it worked and when it stopped working. If there was no service done then chances that your hoses got swutched are small. If there was service done could that have caused the problem.

I have not had to fix the blend door before. But I thought I have seen stickys showing where you can do it by removing just the glove box

But again please go do some homework and learn all the components and it will be easier to help you

Bighomedog11 10-03-2009 11:18 AM

Oh, Well i dont think i had any service done when it had stopped working. I had somebody take a look at it.
But in that picture those are not the heater hoes?

Yah I am going to read my ford book and learn the basic parts.

Oh i never knew you could do it just threw the glove box.

modelageek 10-03-2009 12:10 PM

first what year is your truck

the two hoses that you circled are the heater hoses. you need to drain some coolant out of the radiator so they will not leak when you remove the heater hoses. there should b e a pet**** at the bottom of the radiator. I would try and diagnose the problem first. feel those hoses after the truck is warm and see if they get hot. does your temp gauge work and if it does does the engine take a long time to warm up when it is colder ouside.

from what you have told us so far i am still going with the thought that your blend door is messed up