Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Increase Mileage? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/2942-increase-mileage.html)

Bighomedog11 09-28-2009 08:04 PM

Increase Mileage?

Hey I am wondering is there anything i can pour in my gas to get better gas mileage because i haven't cleaned or pour nothing in my tank to clean it and i was wondering is there anything i can get cheap that will help improve gas mileage.. This question sounds dum but i guess its worth a try to see what kind of answers i get :)

96splash/09sport 09-28-2009 08:07 PM

not sure if it works but i put a can of seafoam in there every now and then

FireRanger 09-28-2009 08:14 PM

There is nothing you can pour in the tank to make it do better than stock. If stuff is that messed up, a complete seafoam treatment can help bring it back to normal.

The only practical way to improve fuel economy is driving habits.

robsranger 09-28-2009 08:19 PM

seafoam is what i use. But 1 can to a full tank about once every 2 months to clean everything out and the full is a high octain to boot. UMM theres also a product called Marvel mystery oil that we use in the airboats but keep in mind that we run aviation fuel in the airboat so im not sure about how well it will do in the truck.:)

robsranger 09-28-2009 08:23 PM

1 other thing would be a tuneup new plugs wires pcv valve oil change filter maybe out like 60-80 bucks but quick and fairly cheap thing you could do. with the filters i suggest a k&n drop in but kinda up there in price aswell as a k&n oil filter but again just my 2cents

Johnbaum13 09-28-2009 08:35 PM

There are things such as octain boosters to put in the gas to get better mileage. The thing is, these things are not cost effective, since they don't increase the mileage enough to balance out their cost. Keep the engine in good tune, and watch your driving habits. Thats where you'll save money.

02'4.04x4 09-28-2009 08:48 PM

Lightened pulleys, upgrade engine disposables, Make sure fluids are flushed and replenished upgrade lubes and add friction reducing additives, make sure tires are good and alignment is true, chip the motor and be pedal friendly.

Lord of War 09-28-2009 09:13 PM

Use some sea-foam, lucas fuel injector cleaner, and switch to synthetic oil and a good filter. Also make sure your tires have the correct pressure and are blanced right.

That should help.

Bighomedog11 09-29-2009 03:30 AM

Oh thanks for the reply's.
I might try some sea-foam
But my wheels need to be realign but a bearing is broken so i am suppose to be getting that fix so it can get aligned better.

bigtoys2004 09-29-2009 05:33 AM

I have never used sea foam but have heard good things about it but these guys are right. But what I have tried as an additive is B&G 44K its about 15 bucks for a can around here but works excellent its hard to find tho so look at repair shops as well as parts stores. Also try cleaning the throttle body with some throttle body cleaner just spray out the throttle body and keep it running I do about a half of a can. Do this with your tune up to get the most out of it.