Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   4-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   Cranks over But Doesn't Start (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/4-cylinder-tech/28776-cranks-doesnt-start.html)

braby73 03-12-2011 04:54 PM

Cranks over But Doesn't Start

Hello,

I was driving down the road one day and my Ranger lost power and died
on me. It cranks over but will not start up. I have replaced the battery, fuel filter, and I hear the fuel pump start when I turn the ignition key. I have pulled out the spark plug and tested two and recieved a spark. I also noticed that i did have fuel in the fuel filter when I changed it out. Any Ideas?

mickblock 03-12-2011 05:03 PM

Re: Cranks over But Doesn't Start

How much gas does your gauge say you have? Maybe it's wrong and your out of fuel.
Now that I've thoroughly insulted your intelligence:
You tested for spark, now you can take the air duct off of the throttle body and spray two seconds worth of staring fluid to see if fuel delivery is a problem.

sunyesf 03-12-2011 09:40 PM

Fuel Inertial Sqitch? Located (for a 96, 2.3l) at ankle level on the passenger side, in the cab. It shuts off fuel in the event of an accident, however they can trip for less drastic reasons. Check to see if the little red button is depressed.

braby73 03-13-2011 09:47 AM

Ok Update. I sprayed starting fluied into the throttle body. My assistant cranked turned the key over and pressed the gas. There was a slight gulp but otherwise the engine cranked but wouldnt start. I also checked the inertia switch. It was depressed. I had to disconnect it and smack it upside down to get the button to pop out again and reset. I tried it both ways pushed in and out. I tested the 2 wires and it read 2.6. Not sure what that means but It had current. This is where I am supposed to spray the starting fluid right? I attached a pic. [IMG]C:\Users\Badmotha\Pictures[/IMG]

mazdab2300 03-13-2011 09:53 AM

dont ever push the gas pedal when starting a fuel injected vehicle. it will instantly flood the engine and wont start ffor about 15 minutes. check your vacume lines. one of mine came loose and it wouldnt start just like your will not.

suche713 03-17-2011 02:31 PM

I have a 98 ranger regular driving down the road and it just died without warning fuel pump has been checked appears ok, pushed the reset button, checked the fuses, changed 6 spark plugs still not fire going to the engine to start up where should i go from here?

BlackBy4 03-17-2011 05:20 PM

For both of you:
Doublecheck your fuel pump. Pull the line off at the filter, turn the key over and see if it sprays fuel.
Take the fuel line off the end of the injector rail and see if it sprays fuel there. If it does, then you need to check all your injectors for operation
Braby:
Spray starting fluid down the throttle body while your friend is cranking it, without touching the gas, and see if you can actually get it to catch, not 'gulp'.
If you can't get it to catch then you either have no spark or weak spark (not likely weak spark with the volatility of ether starting fluid).
Suche:
Pull a spark plug out and see if you get spark when you crank the engine. Do the same thing with fuel lines at the filter/fuel rail to check for proper fuel pump operation.