Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Off Topic (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/)
-   -   My new small business (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/off-topic/28674-business.html)

dixie_boysles 03-11-2011 08:52 AM

My new small business

So i decided to try to make a an extra buck or two today (on top of the two jobs that I already have lol). As most know I am into fishing big time. i love it. I just recently cleaned and serviced my rods and reels and found out that i really enjoyed it! SOOOO i decided to start a very small business up by offering cleaning and oiling services of rods and reels.

Reels are similar to our trucks in the fact that they must be oiled and greased in order to last. They have small gears that need lubrication on a schedule basis just like out trucks need the oil changed on a regular basis.

So i created a CL ad to get me started. I dont care if it goes any further than CL really, If i could get a few rods and reels every so often, it will please me!

S-Les Rod and Reel Servicing

Im hoping I can do something with this!

WearyTraveler 03-11-2011 09:34 AM

Re: My new small business

Good job!! I hope it works out for you.

Do you do rod repair too? I could see that being helpful for people too.

dixie_boysles 03-11-2011 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WearyTraveler (Post 354199)
Good job!! I hope it works out for you.

Do you do rod repair too? I could see that being helpful for people too.

Nope, just the cleaning side of it. I can order parts and stuff for the newer stuff (or for reels that parts are still available for). If i see that this turns into a nice little business, then i may consider learning rod repair.

Fordzilla80 03-11-2011 12:45 PM

Cool deal man! Some people may :hahaha: at "rod servicing", but there's sadly no other term you can really use. Best of luck with the venture dude!

kittboy81 03-11-2011 12:48 PM

I tear mine down twice a year to clean and lubricate them. I have lots spare reels for parts. If u ever need anything holler, if i got it its yours!!!!!

aulee42 03-11-2011 01:17 PM

hey man what do you think your turn around would be on about 8-9 reels. I just dont have time to go through and degrease and re grease all of them

dixie_boysles 03-11-2011 06:39 PM

I can have them done in two days man. Shipping them will cost extra though is the only thing with them coming from wisconsin. But I can do it for u man! Let me know

merlin215 03-11-2011 07:00 PM

Do you do salt water reels too ?

aulee42 03-11-2011 07:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixie_boysles (Post 354549)
I can have them done in two days man. Shipping them will cost extra though is the only thing with them coming from wisconsin. But I can do it for u man! Let me know

shipping shouldnt be to bad, USPS is the way to go man in there flat rate boxes are key. My guess would be 8-9 dollars I have a ton of boxes laying around. Im gonna be getting paid soon and when i do ill box up all the reels and send them to you. should be next couple weeks

dixie_boysles 03-11-2011 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by merlin215 (Post 354569)
Do you do salt water reels too ?

I can if you would like. I don't have any prices for them but do to them being larger I may have to charge a little bit more and do the the fact they they are salt water used I have to use one more product to stop corrosion.

Quote:

Originally Posted by aulee42 (Post 354570)
shipping shouldnt be to bad, USPS is the way to go man in there flat rate boxes are key. My guess would be 8-9 dollars I have a ton of boxes laying around. Im gonna be getting paid soon and when i do ill box up all the reels and send them to you. should be next couple weeks

Alright sounds great!!! Let me know. Just refer to the price list for pricing.

WearyTraveler 03-12-2011 01:11 PM

I was thinking about advertising for my wife's business today. We are working on some community events and I thought of your new business.

With spring just around the corner. The "sports" shows will be starting soon at malls and such. Depending on the prices, why not look into setting up a booth. Have some business cards and fliers there. Talk to people.

I think most Gander Mountains do a fishing event every spring. Might be a good idea to talk to them.

merlin215 03-12-2011 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixie_boysles (Post 354577)
I can if you would like. I don't have any prices for them but do to them being larger I may have to charge a little bit more and do the the fact they they are salt water used I have to use one more product to stop corrosion.

Alright sounds great!!! Let me know. Just refer to the price list for pricing.

Can you reline them as well ?

I have a couple that have been out for a while and need a real good cleaning .

dixie_boysles 03-12-2011 08:01 PM

Sure can!!!! Just specify what line type. Lining cost a few dollars extra as fishing line does not come cheap lol. I'm ready when ya'll are!

daniel5625 03-13-2011 01:19 AM

thats awesome man, now start a website for it, to grow the business, ive never heard of a rod servicing business, you could do really well!

merlin215 03-13-2011 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dixie_boysles (Post 355478)
Sure can!!!! Just specify what line type. Lining cost a few dollars extra as fishing line does not come cheap lol. I'm ready when ya'll are!

Let me put it together and I'll let you know . Prob in the next couple of weeks .