Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   When do you use 4 high and 4 low (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/28495-4-4-low.html)

joshyddog 03-08-2011 07:03 PM

When do you use 4 high and 4 low

Like for 4x4 hill climbs, snow, mud and what ever you can think of. I was using 4 low doing a vary steep hill climb and my friend told me I should of done it in 4 high but
I dont know. so ya

Thanks

josh

01_ranger_4x4 03-08-2011 07:07 PM

Re: When do you use 4 high and 4 low

i use 4low at the dunes when im climbing hills. i can do it in 4 hi but its tough on the trans and 4 low helps keep the RPM's up so it doesnt bog. i use 4 hi for just cruising around on flat ground.

joshyddog 03-08-2011 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 (Post 351663)
i use 4low at the dunes when im climbing hills. i can do it in 4 hi but its tough on the trans and 4 low helps keep the RPM's up so it doesnt bog. i use 4 hi for just cruising around on flat ground.

ook thanks

Edit: Ya that why I did it in 4 low because it all most bog on me on the first hill I did.

joshyddog 03-08-2011 08:00 PM

bump What you other guys use!

Fordzilla80 03-08-2011 08:06 PM

Pat hit the nail on the head. Never driven a 4x4 any other way.

WildlandFirefighter 03-08-2011 08:13 PM

Going through mud in 4 lo to test it out but if it seems like I will bottom out...I will back up and put it in 4 hi and give it hell.

Or leave in 4 hi to play around in the mud.

4 lo is really for pulling or just manuevering in tight spots

DiabloBlanco 03-08-2011 08:45 PM

I use 4x4 when, oh wait. 2wd
lol

Fordzilla80 03-08-2011 08:48 PM

I currently use 4x4 in my F100.....when I rebuild my D44, find and rebuild a transfer case, update my rear gear ratio, swap my trans for a 4x4 compatible rebuilt C6, and rebuild the engine.:D

MikeyBuck 03-09-2011 12:14 AM

Not talking about my ranger(2wd), but talking about my full size 4x4 chevy.

When I use 4 low is when pulling my 3000lb boat off a sandy beach along the Columbia River. I feel its a lot easer on everything if use 4 low.
I also use 4 low when Im going down a really steep snowy, muddy, lose dirt/rock trail or road and im trying to use my engine breaking. You will have way better control of your stearing if you don't have to use your breaks.
And if someone is stuck, and I have to pull on them, I will use 4 low. If I can't pull them out (I don't yank) I will hook the winch up to them and anchor my truck and winch them out lol.

Hope that gives you an idea.

joshyddog 03-09-2011 01:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MikeyBuck (Post 351962)
Not talking about my ranger(2wd), but talking about my full size 4x4 chevy.

When I use 4 low is when pulling my 3000lb boat off a sandy beach along the Columbia River. I feel its a lot easer on everything if use 4 low.
I also use 4 low when Im going down a really steep snowy, muddy, lose dirt/rock trail or road and im trying to use my engine breaking. You will have way better control of your stearing if you don't have to use your breaks.
And if someone is stuck, and I have to pull on them, I will use 4 low. If I can't pull them out (I don't yank) I will hook the winch up to them and anchor my truck and winch them out lol.

Hope that gives you an idea.

oo ya thanks I was going to ask about pulling people out too.

THANKS to you other guys too!

sgtsandman 03-09-2011 07:43 AM

Yeah, 4X4 low is for when you need more grunt and don't have to go fast or shouldn't go fast. Pretty much only when you are off road, pulling stumps, or on a boat ramp. That kind of thing.

Skylark65 03-10-2011 12:14 PM

i use it when i've got firewood piled in the bed up to the top of the cap and im in snow up to the rocker panels in my backyard. 4 low, low gear, no throttle just let it idle it's way up & out 'till it hits the driveway. 4 high gets used for driving home from work in the snow, or heading up the trail to my buddie's property.

merlin215 03-10-2011 12:26 PM

My 84 RamCharger , I used to pull my boat out on the ramp and that was the only time I used 4 low . It could be wet or just way in the water to get to ( low tide ) . worekd great too ......
My 89 Blazer the same way
My 2010 Ranger , we went in the sand and I used low when We were up on a dune .
Don't remember ever getting stuck in snow that I needed 4 Low . Usually 4 High worked real well . Up here its just streets with snow on them . We have some wheeling places in the sand and Mud but I don't go crazy in the mud . . I need to go to work ....

Back road trails are pretty neat about 150 miles away so we like goin up to Northern New Hampshire

90fordranger 03-10-2011 12:31 PM

yeah, I think 4high is for going up hill and low would be for flat ground or possibly even down hill.

joshyddog 03-10-2011 04:47 PM

ook thanks guys!