Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   saying goodbye (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/28370-saying-goodbye.html)

wolfboy192 03-07-2011 12:24 PM

saying goodbye

i'm trying to decided if i should sell my ranger because i can't find a transmission. let me know what your opinion is because of the year the transmission is so rare and hard to find so let me know if you know were one is.

dixie_boysles 03-07-2011 12:35 PM

Re: saying goodbye

http://www.car-parts.com is your friend

just enter in your info and look up transmission and it will find JYs and Salvage yards with that tranny in stock

01_ranger_4x4 03-07-2011 12:58 PM

that transmission is far from rare. it was used in millions of trucks from the mid 80's up through the early and mid 90's. the link that Scott posted is a good place to start looking for one.

klinger86 03-07-2011 02:23 PM

either search for one or do a complete engine and tranny swap....

WearyTraveler 03-07-2011 03:08 PM

I don't know how rare it is. But one of my Parts rangers as a 3.0l with a 2wd Auto in it.

terryduanemiller 03-07-2011 03:14 PM

plenty of reputable salvage yards on eBay... LKQ has yards all over the US

Blessed Ranger 03-07-2011 06:04 PM

Try Junkyarddog.com

knightmare1015 03-08-2011 01:37 AM

Rare!? my friend you're sadly mistaken. Ford used that tranny in alot of other vehcles and not just trucks either. since yours is an older model I'd go ahead and do an engine and trans swap. yours is also considered an antique and they have virtually no laws concerning emissions standards so the skys the limit.

TerrenceStuart 03-08-2011 01:49 AM

oh, yes, ford made only a million + of those transmissions. Very rare.

knightmare1015 03-08-2011 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by machine090767 (Post 351015)
oh, yes, ford made only a million + of those transmissions. Very rare.

That's my point as well. How many different models did ford use that tranny anyway? well anyway if he can't find one then he just isn't really looking.Well gentlemen I is going to try and get some sleep. I'll see you cats later. Goodnight my friends.

wolfboy192 03-14-2011 11:05 AM

my transmission is fully electronic it was only made that way for 2 years so it makes it very difficult to get for less than $1500 which is out of my budget since im still in high school.

Fordzilla80 03-14-2011 11:11 AM

In 1991, I highly doubt the "electronic" aspect of your transmission is very electronic at all, and is easily swapped onto a non electronic trans/and or easily disabled with very slight if any side effects. Remember, Explorers are similar too, all the way up to 1994 at the least, so check them as well. I'm guessing you have a A4LD, which is a total shit bag of a trans anyway. Do a little research and see what other trans fit your truck, like possibly a C4 or so. If all else fails, manual swap.

knightmare1015 03-14-2011 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 357140)
In 1991, I highly doubt the "electronic" aspect of your transmission is very electronic at all, and is easily swapped onto a non electronic trans/and or easily disabled with very slight if any side effects. Remember, Explorers are similar too, all the way up to 1994 at the least, so check them as well. I'm guessing you have a A4LD, which is a total shit bag of a trans anyway. Do a little research and see what other trans fit your truck, like possibly a C4 or so. If all else fails, manual swap.

I have to agree. Full electronic tranny's didn't come into the fold until about a decade later and even then it was on alot of higher end models. 1991 is considered an antique in my state and up until 1996 was OBDI, which means a small amount of electronics. Basicly 1995 and older means that the only complicated system in those model years I mentioned is the stereo system. Basicly he needs to get a service manual from Ford for his specific year and model, NOT ONE OF THOSE CHILTON MANUALS EITHER BUT FROM FORD. oh, I capitalized so he'd read it. So no offense to you my friend. I wonder if he knows that he can get away with muder for his model and year?

wolfboy192 03-14-2011 02:51 PM

i did a little more research and found my buildsheet i got from ford it is an A4ldpe (particial electronic) you were right but every where i called told me it was a fully electronic or code (de) so i am sorry and you were right.

knightmare1015 03-14-2011 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfboy192 (Post 357346)
i did a little more research and found my buildsheet i got from ford it is an A4ldpe (particial electronic) you were right but every where i called told me it was a fully electronic or code (de) so i am sorry and you were right.

That's ok it happens to the best of us. Basicly they're trying to get you to spend more money than what you need to. Most people usually get mistaken information or they misread the vin codes but it happens to everyone in their lifetime and if anyone tells you different they're lying to you. Also most auto parts stores will always try to "up sell" you on stuff you don't need so be careful.