Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   Boat Ramp (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/27775-boat-ramp.html)

pcityranger 02-28-2011 10:50 AM

Boat Ramp

Okay i have a 4x4 5spd ranger and am inexpierenced at the ramp. I have a 2000 lb boat and dont know the best way to work clutch and gas and parking brake putting the boat in and pulling out of the water. Can someone inform the best and safest way on this so me and my truck dont end up under water!:)

HazardousRanger 02-28-2011 11:27 AM

Re: Boat Ramp

dont know anything about manuals but BRAKES R A BIG PART OF IT!

heres my list of advice

one when unloading the boat put it in park and put the parking brake on!

2. when getting ready to go back up, use both feet to hold the brake and the gas, push the gas a little bit and then release the brakes. i do this because the water is so low i have to go in as far as i can and going any further back in the water could do some damage.

3. dont overpower ur gas, itd be really bad to burn out on the ramp

4. dont go down too fast because
a) its stupid, less control of boat.
b) depending ur speed ur boat ciould swing right or left of you causing ur truck to swing...ive never seen that happen but it is possible.
c) if its wet, u dont have as much traction.

5. for me it is usually very easy to unload the boat. unhook all hold downs except the easy one just in case and then when ur ready to fully go in the water unhook it.

anymore advice i can give you?

pcityranger 02-28-2011 12:21 PM

Im just not sure on the pulling out of the water part? i dont want to toast my clutch and i dont wat too roll back whe i let off the brakes to work the clutch and gas to go forward.

01_ranger_4x4 02-28-2011 12:24 PM

i would use 4low for pulling out of the water, that will help you overcome the clutch burning and be ready to get on the brakes if the truck slips but if you are quick to go from the brake to the clutch and gas in 4 low you should pull it out just fine.

pcityranger 02-28-2011 03:40 PM

thankyou guys, ready for some diving!

Badb3000 02-28-2011 03:46 PM

Here's what you do when pulling out. Put on your emergency brake, then give the truck some gas and let out on your clutch until it feels like the truck is trying to move,(this will keep your truck from rolling back when you let out on the emergency brake) then let out the emergency brake, and give it gas. It will be easier in 4x4. I do this all the time and once you get the hang of it, its pretty easy.

L454S 02-28-2011 04:45 PM

Above post is spot on. I do this every week with a 2.3/M5. Get the boat on the trailer, with the truck in first running and the e-brake locked. Just start letting out the clutch with a little throttle till you feel the truck start ahead against the brake, reach down and release the brake. The key is not to use ANY more RPM than needed. I don't have 4W Low as an option(2WD/3.73 gears) and it is easy after a couple tries........

S13minus1 02-28-2011 05:01 PM

hell parallel parking on hills in tight spots (not the same, but similar) i just put it in first with my foot on the brake, let out the clutch a bit till it grabs by feel, then move to the gas and go. its kinda hard to explain... but you gotta be pretty damn good at stick (not saying youre not). using the parking brake might be easier.

FireRanger 02-28-2011 05:23 PM

And you're probably over-thinking this too. Its just a hill. You've started going up hill before, right? Just be gentle and go. You're not going to get sucked in.

02maz 02-28-2011 05:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FireRanger (Post 341762)
And you're probably over-thinking this too. Its just a hill. You've started going up hill before, right? Just be gentle and go. You're not going to get sucked in.

x2! and if you havent you could try and find a hill and practice

rangerstranger 02-28-2011 05:43 PM

^ ++ What do you do in everyday driving on a really steep hill.Starting from a dead stop.Pretend it's just a really steep hill.Get off the brake and start your normal hill routine with clutch and gas.

pcityranger 02-28-2011 06:22 PM

haha wow i guess i really overthought it. Ive just heard some bad stories that end in disater. Since i have 4 low, this should make things easy. thanks for the replies!

edgeman4.0 02-28-2011 06:38 PM

uh... 4 low?

merlin215 02-28-2011 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Badb3000 (Post 341674)
Here's what you do when pulling out. Put on your emergency brake, then give the truck some gas and let out on your clutch until it feels like the truck is trying to move,(this will keep your truck from rolling back when you let out on the emergency brake) then let out the emergency brake, and give it gas. It will be easier in 4x4. I do this all the time and once you get the hang of it, its pretty easy.

Absolutely , that way if you stall , you have the E Brake on and won't go backwards . Don't panic . If the truck stalls , Keep your foot on the brake , reset and try again . Used to watch folks up in Boston and they would always do something stupid like forget to put the car in park or reverse and shut the engine off then get out and the car would roll into the water , boat motor and trailer . I got stuck in the mud and slid because the ramps were always wet at the ramp as when you put the boat on the trailer it sinks down into the mud and its tough to try and break that suction sometimes . My boat was about 6500 lbs and I had a 1974 Dodge Ram shortbed with a straight six and the gears on the column ( Xmas tree ) .

On tough hills , I used to angle the truck and let the clutch out real easy that way the angle will help you turn the trailer versus pulling the trailer and make the truck try to turn first before pulling the whole weight . works every time . The angle helps break that suction and allows you to pull out easier and get some speed so you can start moving ....

Good Luck and dpon't get wet !

Maritime Storm 03-02-2011 05:28 AM

2 Attachment(s)
Ah every boat owners favorite chore. They've given you the best advice already, 4low and ride clutch just enough to get you moving and don't panic. In my case, i don't have 4low, 2WD, 5spd and 3.55:1, on the first attempt this year, at the top of ramp I smelt clutch, & tire smoke(hurricane decided to pay us a visit requiring use of Ranger on boat ramp) and cursing from Dad as he got out of my truck. The second attempt required $125 to a nice old gentleman with a mid-60's Ford Superduty 3ton(one learns from experience), next time she get to sit on a crane. The last truck I hauled her with (1990 D250 CTD/A-727) would spin some to get her moving.