Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Drivetrain Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/)
-   -   5sp. trans fluid 80w gear oil of ATF? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/drivetrain-tech/27024-5sp-trans-fluid-80w-gear-oil-atf.html)

Kmartcivic 02-19-2011 05:25 PM

5sp. trans fluid 80w gear oil of ATF?

My tranny I have is a E77A AFA. Not sure if it is the original from my 87 2.3 ranger or not. So I was unsure about this transmission as to what type of oil it uses.

There are so many different years of parts on this thing its making it a real PITA to work on.

pooleo 02-19-2011 05:27 PM

Re: 5sp. trans fluid 80w gear oil of ATF?

I put 75w90 mobil one in both my manuals.

drppdyllwrngr 02-19-2011 05:39 PM

the m5od calls for atf. not sure about the older trans. what does your owners manual say?

klinger86 02-19-2011 05:40 PM

I have 90w gear lube in mine not sure of the brand. Come to think of it I need to change it.

Kmartcivic 02-19-2011 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by drppdyllwrngr (Post 331534)
the m5od calls for atf. not sure about the older trans. what does your owners manual say?

This is a bastard of a truck. Parts from all different years. Its an 87, the repair manual says 80w up to 87. The owners manual that came with the truck is an 85 so thats no help. Only thing I can go by is the sticker on the side of the tranny. E77A AFA which is a 5sp. toyo kogyu . Something like that. I have no idea if this is the stock tranny or not.

When I drained the fluid it had atf in it but looked like it had some gear oil mixed in a little. Plus before I tore her apart she would gring going into 1st or reverse. Maybe its supposed to take 80w not the atf. This thing is giving me a headache.

pooleo 02-19-2011 05:52 PM

I have always believed tha gear boxes should use gear oil. But, you should be safe running synchromesh, thats a gear oil with teflon and is thin"er" like ATF.

klinger86 02-19-2011 05:54 PM

Sound to me that the owner that you bought it off of didn't know that most 5spd's take gear lube. I would say go with the 80w gear oil.

terryduanemiller 02-19-2011 05:56 PM

never had problems in 22yrs, using ATF. Castrol Mercon V

Kmartcivic 02-19-2011 06:00 PM

Oh man. Now Im really not sure what to use. Im getting so many different answers. Maybe Ill just put the gear oil in it and see if it stops grinding in first. And drive it around a little bit. If its not performing well Ill just drain it a put atf in it I guess.

racsan 02-19-2011 09:42 PM

if you have a problem, there is no "magic" oil that will fix it, the M5OD takes atf, the others i think took gear oil, i personally use pennzoil syncromesh fluid. ive tried every atf out there, they didnt change anything. with the syncromesh fluid, it seems to not be as warm, i have a hurst shifter and where the lever comes out of the floor boot ive felt it by hand and there is a noticeable difference in temperature between running atf vs syncromesh. shifts good in cold winter months too. at least as good as any other manual trans will when its cold out. heres a link to another site giving some manual trans info-> http://www.therangerstation.com/tech...nsmission.html

pooleo 02-19-2011 09:46 PM

I have noticed the gear oil tends to be "sticky" during winter months, but as long as you let the truck warm up the oil seems to thin out a bit.

racsan 02-19-2011 10:05 PM

heres another post from the rangerstation after doing a search to see what oil the toyo kogo takes, it appears that if it doesnt have a bottom removeable pan, atf is the way to go, if there is a removeable metal pan it takes gear oil:->Does your transmission have a bottom cover?

If you MANUAL transmission has a bottom cover then it takes gear oil.

2.9 powered rangers made from 1988-1992 CAN have the mitsubishi transmission
which uses 80w90 gear oil.

It's also possible that the transmission is NOT the original.

AD

Dantforth 02-20-2011 03:38 AM

Could it just be that because some don't have a bottom pan to remove that they recommend auto transmission fluid because it would be easier to change than 75W90? If there is no bottom pan on some do they still have a drain plug or do you have to pump it out? Dave

modelageek 02-20-2011 04:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by klinger86 (Post 331535)
I have 90w gear lube in mine not sure of the brand. Come to think of it I need to change it.

you should not be running gear oil in your M5OD..........Mercon III, Mercon V or a good synchromesh fluid would be best........they changed the composite of the synchros in the m5od sometime around 1998? before that the Mercon III was supposedly better and after that a synthetic is supposedly fine also...........it appears that about 95% of the peeps are running some type of atf and the other 5% are hanging with the gear oil.......,however it is your truck and you should use "Olive Oil" in it if that is what you choose

modelageek 02-20-2011 05:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kmartcivic (Post 331555)
Oh man. Now Im really not sure what to use. Im getting so many different answers. Maybe Ill just put the gear oil in it and see if it stops grinding in first. And drive it around a little bit. If its not performing well Ill just drain it a put atf in it I guess.

gear oil