Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   8-Cylinder Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/8-cylinder-tech/)
-   -   My uh "Ranger" yeah the "Ranger" is Knocking (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/8-cylinder-tech/26986-uh-ranger-yeah-ranger-knocking.html)

brokenIN 02-19-2011 09:36 AM

My uh "Ranger" yeah the "Ranger" is Knocking

What's the best way to make the engine stop knocking? It only does it when it's first started in the morning, stops once it warms up.

pooleo 02-19-2011 09:44 AM

Re: My uh "Ranger" yeah the "Ranger" is Knocking

This is for your jeep? is it a knock or a tick or a tap? knocking is usually rod/main bearings and you would S.O.L. tick or tap, prolly just lifters/cam if ohc. Maybe try a thinner oil...?

brokenIN 02-19-2011 09:54 AM

Yeah it's for the Jeep, since i've never owned a V8 it's hard for me to tell what it is. What would be some other indications of rod/bearing problems? Now that I think about it, it sounds kind of like a diesel, until it gets warm anyway. Could it be piston slap?

DHEM 02-19-2011 12:46 PM

Yeah alot GM vehicles do the same thing. You can rebuild it, and thats about it.

DHEM 02-22-2011 03:44 PM

or swap in a sbf :D

terryduanemiller 02-22-2011 03:52 PM

oil change, better brand filter, oil treatment, only 30w oil, rebuild, you pick.. its called cold start "main chatter"

ColinS 02-22-2011 03:58 PM

umm guys GM does not make jeep lol

and it sounds like lifters try a different oil and if that does not work try replacing the lifters

----------

and it sounds like lifters try a different oil and if that does not work try replacing the lifters

2003 XLT FX4 02-22-2011 05:49 PM

my ranger makes a ton of noise on cold start (-20 deg Celsius), i just let it idle for about 10 seconds and then drive it, its a truck and I'm usually colder than it so i want it to warm up as fast as possible :p

EMB1230 02-22-2011 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GhostZ (Post 334739)

Correct, Chrysler does.

brokenIN 02-23-2011 11:09 AM

Regardless of who makes it, it still has aluminum head in and iron block so its safe to say its a possibility to get piston slap. I'll try better oil/filter and check the lifters. Thanks guys!

Rango88 02-23-2011 11:38 AM

def. the lifters. my sonata did the same thing, and it got gradually worse even in the summer it would do it so i added the lucas compound and it now only does it when its really cold ;)