Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Audio / Video (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/)
-   -   Subwoofer in cubby for my 2004 Ext. Cab Ranger (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio-video/26788-subwoofer-cubby-2004-ext-cab-ranger.html)

rlm1014 02-16-2011 08:42 PM

Subwoofer in cubby for my 2004 Ext. Cab Ranger

I know this has probably already been explored but, after some searching I have not found much on it. I just recently just joined the forums and the Ranger owner club but I am no stranger to forums and working or modifying my property. Something I immediately thought of while cleaning out the truck last week was that where normally the jumper seats would be located there are to empty spaces now, which I think could be made to fit a sub and save some space. So, my question is has someone already done this and if so, could I pointed in the right direction for more info and pics? Thanks.

btm757 02-16-2011 09:29 PM

Re: Subwoofer in cubby for my 2004 Ext. Cab Ranger

Have always wondered this. I wouldnt mind taking a jump seat out to gain a little space and be able to recline my seat again

stephen.g.fiddes 02-16-2011 09:31 PM

A lot of guys have taken out the jump seat and built a platform to hold the sub up, Thats what I plan on doing in my next truck.

ben10 02-16-2011 09:32 PM

i think with a shallow mount sub and some trimming and modding it could be done, my biggest concern would be door vibrations, with a good sub in there it will try its hardest to get that door moving, but i dont know.

stephen.g.fiddes 02-16-2011 09:34 PM

Gotta be careful with the box tho cause each speaker requires a certain amount of air to move. if you start porting things, the port has to be a certain volume, and the box has to be a different volume. Pretty complex if you want it to sound good.

ranger101 02-17-2011 04:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ben10 (Post 328959)
i think with a shallow mount sub and some trimming and modding it could be done, my biggest concern would be door vibrations, with a good sub in there it will try its hardest to get that door moving, but i dont know.

The doors will be fine.

CALI-RANGER 02-17-2011 05:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen.g.fiddes (Post 328963)
Gotta be careful with the box tho cause each speaker requires a certain amount of air to move. if you start porting things, the port has to be a certain volume, and the box has to be a different volume. Pretty complex if you want it to sound good.

thats the biggest project!! took me an hour just to figure out the box air-space dimensions/ custom port for my old 12inch kicker comp cvr that i had.. with a rockford fosgate 350watt amp.. hit harder than some 15in. systems..

the main point of vibration is the split window (if equipped).. the little slider likes to make noise after awhile... but then again, my trucks windows are 10yrs old.. lol

2003 XLT FX4 02-17-2011 10:36 AM

I have my amp mounted to a custom wooden panel i made that mounts in where the jump seat was. Look at my album and there are a couple pics of it.

As for the window vibration on the slider, It vibrates like crazy. Even with my single 10" type r in a sealed box it vibrates, i just shoved a bunch of folded paper in the slot to take up some space. Although, when i had 2 MTX jackhammer's in there in a ported box, the bass was louder than the vibration so i didn't notice haha

stephen.g.fiddes 02-17-2011 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CALI-RANGER (Post 329140)
thats the biggest project!! took me an hour just to figure out the box air-space dimensions/ custom port for my old 12inch kicker comp cvr that i had.. with a rockford fosgate 350watt amp.. hit harder than some 15in. systems..

the main point of vibration is the split window (if equipped).. the little slider likes to make noise after awhile... but then again, my trucks windows are 10yrs old.. lol

the audio shop me and my friends just started working with, have a Digital designs 8" that hits pretty damn hard too. exp for an 8.

ranger101 02-17-2011 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stephen.g.fiddes (Post 329280)
the audio shop me and my friends just started working with, have a Digital designs 8" that hits pretty damn hard too. exp for an 8.

Digital Designs don't fuck around. I just bought me a Sundown Sa-8 to play around with. Gonna put about 1000w to it haha

stephen.g.fiddes 02-17-2011 04:51 PM

I love DD. I'll be getting them in my next rig eventually.

ranger101 02-17-2011 07:02 PM

You'll be paying out the ass for em too.

stephen.g.fiddes 02-17-2011 07:05 PM

nope. looking at around 300 speaker and box. Only 1 12, and i cant remember the amp brand of the top of my head, but it starts with an E. Door speakers are gunna be imagines.

ranger101 02-17-2011 07:13 PM

How much power you plan on throwing to it? I can't think of a good amp that starts with an E. Honestly, I'd go with a DC XL12 before I would buy a DD. Plus, you can get a DC 12 for cheaper.

----------

Oh and what kinda door speakers are you talking about? Image Dynamics? I'd recommend some Pheonix Gold RSD6.5's. For $90 a pair, you can't beat em.

ranger101 02-17-2011 07:30 PM

OP, this is what I did in my extended cab. It's probably not what you're looking to do and is most likely way bigger than you want to go, but I figured I'd share it with you anyways haha

http://www.fordrangerforum.com/audio...build-log.html