Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Interior Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/)
-   -   My Crazy Ideas.... (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/interior-tech/26065-crazy-ideas.html)

BadKarma46 02-07-2011 09:29 PM

My Crazy Ideas....

So ive had my share of crazy ideas.... this idea ranks up there to. in about a year im going to be moving to a state that 4x4 is definantly an advantage. I, however, have 2x4 with the 3.0l, which is great for where i live, but not so much for where im going. is swapping to trans, engine, and dropping in a new front drive assembly a sound idea? or should i just prepare to part with my current ranger and get one with 4x4?

BCobe 02-07-2011 09:51 PM

Re: My Crazy Ideas....

Shit if it was me I would keep that bish and SAS it. If you gotta throw a 4x4 axle underneath why not just go big? In the end it comes down to how much you want to spend or how much time or paying someone for their time do you want to spend. If you can do most of the Fab work yourself I ,personally, would go for it especially if you plan on doing alot of wheeling.

ben10 02-07-2011 10:13 PM

yeah depends on what your going for. if you want custom, i would do a solid axle swap. if you want a stock more reliable and streetable ranger then i would look at trading it in. the swap of all those things would take weeks and thousands of dollars and lots of PITA situations as well as a lot of road blocks or at least detours, and a lot of fab work. if your going for stock i dont see how you could come out on top. but solid axle you could definately have some fun. and also you wouldnt need a motor swap, rstangboi has a solid axle ranger with 35s on it and he has the 3 liter.

BadKarma46 02-08-2011 01:03 PM

for the near future there wont be alot of off roading, but later on there would for hunting and camping trips.... if it comes down to money, i think im best off trading it in, especially for the sound of mind......

Clinton 02-08-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadKarma46 (Post 319962)
for the near future there wont be alot of off roading, but later on there would for hunting and camping trips.... if it comes down to money, i think im best off trading it in, especially for the sound of mind......

I would trade as well

edgeman4.0 02-08-2011 01:39 PM

trade it and get a 4x4 4.0.

Fordzilla80 02-08-2011 01:48 PM

It really depends on how much you like the truck. I currently have a D44 front axle waiting to go into my F100 4x2 so I can convert it to 4x4. I would be much better off buying an actual 4x4, however my F100 was my first truck, and it has alot of sentimental value as I have learned alot on that truck. So selling it and buying a 4x4 isn't an option.

BadKarma46 02-08-2011 08:30 PM

well i love my lil ranger.... but im just cautious of how itll habdle in "rough," being from socal, conditions. Ideally id like to keep 4x2 untill the engine dies and just regut the whole thing: diesel, 4x4, the whole nine yards. if theres a boost the performance of a 4x2 on "rough" besides sand bags and weights, id love to hear about it.