Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Suspension Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/)
-   -   f100 custom suspension swap (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/25903-f100-custom-suspension-swap.html)

jjustjjosh 02-05-2011 01:41 PM

f100 custom suspension swap

i got an 89 ranger 2wd and i want to do the f100 custom front end suspension swap. what kind of fabrcation do i need to do to the ranger to accomplish this swap... i need specs on brackets for the i beams, mounts and positioning for coil springs and shocks, any brake system changes if need be, and whatever else i need to know because i have no idea i was just told that it could be done and i got a good deal on the f100 suspension so id like to see how it looks and feels on my truck. i also have a new rear end with a limited slip and 373 gears that i have to put in and need to know how i should do the new shock mounts... i got the rear end out of a newer explorer early 90's believe, all i know is that it was a luxury bubble top explorer with disk brakes.

Fordzilla80 02-05-2011 02:08 PM

Re: f100 custom suspension swap

Nope, nope, and nope. The track width on an F100 is much wider than that of a Ranger. And FYI, the suspension in your current Ranger uses very similar principles. If this F100 is an 81, then the principles are exactly the same. Also, some F100's have Ranger lug patterns, others have F150 lug patterns. What are you out to accomplish? Suspension lift? Just add F150 coils.

HOWEVER, if you're making this truck a prerunner, then it doesn't really matter.

As for the Explorer rear axle, that will be much simple, but you may have to rework your brake lines. Somebody else more knowledgeable on that can chime in.

jjustjjosh 02-05-2011 02:13 PM

out to make this thing a prerunner the f100 beams are 8" bigger allowin for the wider stance... thnx

Fordzilla80 02-05-2011 02:20 PM

Okay then you're fine. What year is the F100? If it's an 80, stay away, it has Kingpins, which aren't good for this kind of stuff. If it's an 81 with ball joints, then you'll be okay. I haven't played with the Ranger pivot brackets, but the most important thing you can do is measure what you have and compare it to the Ranger's tolerances. I'm pretty sure you're gonna have to do something about the radius arms and their brackets. As I said earlier, there were two different lug patterns on the F100, so this also need to be taken into consideration as carrying two spares on the back of different sizes is a pain, and just adds weight.

jjustjjosh 02-05-2011 02:34 PM

ok ill find out the year in a minute. if anyone has done this conversion i would like to talk to them to see how its done in detail that way i can write it all down and get all the parts i need

jjustjjosh 02-05-2011 03:15 PM

i believe the f100 is like a 75-early 80s model im not sure yet its at the junk yard and im gunna rip all the parts out of it but i called them a few times and no answer so i cant find out the year just yet but ill post it as soon as i find out... i believe all that needs to be changed for the swap is i beam mounts new steering and the crossmember for the control arms is gunna have to go on at a different spot on the frame but idk how that is gunna effect the tranny crossmember or if it does at all im prolly gunna get the coil overs and build shock hoops in the engine compartment for them along with a motor cage but for now i want to figure out how i can just do a direct swap and leave the coil overs and motor cage for another day

nocauserebelx 03-26-2011 01:07 PM

Yes i finally found a fourm on this, i plan on doing this swap also and my truck has the bigger crossmember,springs, ibeams and steering from an f150, so in theory, am i ready to just install some 81 f100 beams?

Fordzilla80 03-26-2011 01:42 PM

FYI, what you have in your Ranger from an F150 is the same thing as the I-Beams you'll find in an F100. You have already done the swap, you need nothing else.

brinker88 03-26-2011 02:20 PM

Dont forget that the expo axle has spring perches on the underside of the axle and will need to be relocated to run spring over axle (SOA)

nocauserebelx 03-27-2011 01:12 PM

eh im looking more into it..heres the f150 front

http://i1225.photobucket.com/albums/...GERSELL070.jpg

Fordzilla80 03-27-2011 02:06 PM

I'm pretty sure stuff has been added to those "F100" beams to extend them. The pivot brackets are pointed differently as well.

If they are completely factory, which I doubt, then they're pre-79 arms, which I still doubt.

nocauserebelx 04-11-2011 08:18 AM

yeah i think just the steering coils and pivot arms are f150 in the pic, however i saw a econoline at the JY the other day and it had longer radius arms, taller shock towers, and what appeared to be equal length ibeams, anyone ever done one of these swaps?