Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   Suspension Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/)
-   -   What causes a loud bang when you hit bumps? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/suspension-tech/25788-causes-loud-bang-hit-bumps.html)

Sholt25 02-03-2011 05:00 PM

What causes a loud bang when you hit bumps?

I just bought a 2002 Ranger XLT 3.0L with 58k miles, it's a nice truck but needs a little fixing. The door handles were loose, already fixed that, the heater fan only works on high, ( i found the blower motor resistor but won't change it till Sunday, when it's warmer), and the biggest worry is the loud thumping and loss of control when going over bumps, especially scary at highway speeds. I talked to a mechanic friend of mine and he sayd it's the radius arm bushings, but I am looking for second opinions, I'm hoping the nice guy I bought the truck from didn't screw me over.:confused:

01_ranger_4x4 02-03-2011 05:06 PM

Re: What causes a loud bang when you hit bumps?

could be a number of things in the front suspension causing that, ball joints, tie rod ends, control arm bushings, stabilizer links. all are common wear items and need replacement at some point in the trucks life.

bassplyer92517 03-24-2011 03:18 PM

Definitely look into your ball joints, that thump is a big sign of bad ball joints. They are easy to check yourself. Just jack the front end up and feel for play in the wheels.

Sholt25 03-25-2011 06:34 AM

This problem has been fixed. I took it to my mechanic and he put it up on the lift. First thing we noticed was that the stabalizer link on the passenger side was MISSING ! as in not even there ! Next noticed same side shock absorber was broken off at the bottom. Further inspection revealed that upper ball joints and both tie rods were shot to hell. So, 2 shocks, 2 tie rods, 2 stabalizer links, 2 upper control arms (ball joints included), and I had him replace the lower ball joints just because. (why not, right?) and I took it for a front end alignment after that, now it drives just fine, cost me $500 bucks but at least I feel safe now.:o

edgeman4.0 03-25-2011 06:55 AM

if you got all of that done for $500, you came out alright. Your friend hooked you up.

01_ranger_4x4 03-25-2011 07:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgeman4.0 (Post 368311)
if you got all of that done for $500, you came out alright. Your friend hooked you up.

X2

winks 03-25-2011 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by edgeman4.0 (Post 368311)

Quote:

Originally Posted by 01_ranger_4x4 (Post 368313)
X2

x3