Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Tech (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/)
-   -   ABS brakes - engaging on dry pavement, no slipping (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-tech/2543-abs-brakes-engaging-dry-pavement-slipping.html)

CBPetrovic 09-17-2009 07:03 AM

ABS brakes - engaging on dry pavement, no slipping

I've a '98 Ranger, flareside, extended cab w/ about 99Kmi on it, 5spd, 3.0L

When at LOW speeds, like just before you stop rolling, I can feel the ABS system kick in, there's pulsing in the brake pedal and you can hear the ABS unit under the hood making its noises.

When at typical road speed, I don't get the pulsing pedal, just a smooth stop.

Brakes were done about 10Kmi ago, new rotors, and pads.

A friend mentioned that it could be dirt/corrosion on the tone ring(s), I've not checked that yet, but want to know if there's a way to retrieve any codes from the ABS control system via the DLC under the dash.

The code reader I have only shows engine codes.

Has anyone experienced such a problem and if so, what was done to fix it.

CBPetrovic

02'4.04x4 09-17-2009 10:35 AM

Common trip ups are failing wheel bearings.
If your imagination is good put one hand on the top of your tire holding onto the inside edge, then put other hand on base of tire and try to get the tire to rock back and forth feeling for a degree of rocking within the assembly.

forest 02-08-2010 11:48 PM

I was having this same problem... slow speeds would cause my ABS to feel like it was kicking in... High speed slow downs didn't seem to be as bad. I had the front brakes replaced along with the rear... thought for sure it would solve to problem.... BIG NOPE....

It turned out that the rear brakes where not adjusting.... so when braking at low speeds the front brakes would engaged, the rear would not... this caused the ABS to kick in.... Call the dealership and have the rear brakes checked... or check the self adjusters... and maybe check into the rebuild kit for your rear brakes.... Keep in mind it took me three shops before someone recommended the rebuild kit... solved the problem...

L-Mo 02-09-2010 04:38 PM

18 months ago, started having the same problem only when turning (like into a parking space). Took the truck to the dealer to check it out and was told the wheel sensors were going. Had them replace at $300+ per tire(130just for the part) Now 18 months later starting to have the same $%^&^#@ problem.:banghead:

99offroadrngr 02-10-2010 06:53 AM

i just let my wheel lock up. happens all the time lol if u get used to it like i did you won't have a problem but yeah its embarassing when you're pulling up to a stop sign with a lot of people walking and your tire locks up when you barely hit the brakes haha

Thunderstorm2_2002 02-10-2010 07:08 AM

My truck did the same thing when I bought it. I replaced the rotors and drums when I put new brake pads and shoes on the truck. It was still doing it. I replaced the wheel cylinders on the rear axle at the suggestion of my teacher at the time and that fixed the problem. now 6 years and 50,000 miles later it is just now starting to do it again.

CBPetrovic 02-10-2010 03:18 PM

Problem solved

$95 for a sensor and the problem disappeared.

99offroadrngr 02-10-2010 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBPetrovic (Post 67915)
$95 for a sensor and the problem disappeared.

could of sprayed it with wd40 for free lol

blueovalhawkeyefan 03-07-2010 08:30 AM

Re: ABS brakes - engaging on dry pavement, no slipping

CBP which sensor are you talking as I am having the same problem

CBPetrovic 03-08-2010 08:41 AM

It's the sensor at the wheel hub.

It's a $95 item for the 4WD rangers, the same for either side.

I was able to determine which side by letting go of the wheel and seeing which way it turned. When it engaged, the truck pulled to the left.

Getting it out was not that hard, although it wouldn't come out until the sensor came apart; the coil was in my hand and the little plastic cylinder with o-ring was still in the hub.

It pried out pretty easily, though.

Be sure to thoroughly clean the mating surface and ensure that any rust has been removed. Stuff something down the hole to keep debris from getting in there. Smear lots of grease around on the sensor before installing it.

A mechanic friend told me that his experience has shown that the buildup of rust under the sensor pulls it away from the toothed wheel below enough that it will randomly drop a signal, thus fooling the system into thinking the wheel is slipping.

I have no way to verify that because the sensor got damaged when I removed it. Years of rust froze it in the mounting hole.

FWIW, I bought the sensor from Bob Utter Ford Parts Online.

Freud Ranger 10-30-2011 11:02 AM

I'm having a similar problem. Put new pads,rotors, bearings on front wheels, all proud of myself. Now abs acts up on gradual brake application.
Didn't have this problem before front brake overhaul. I hope its something cheap like dirty abs sensors.

spec4 slg 10-31-2011 04:08 AM

Yes it sounds like Sensor corrosion very common on Chev silerados. I cleaned mine and applied Dilectic grease and problem went away. Hope this works on Ranger as well.

ranger45cal 10-31-2011 05:20 AM

was happening on my mothers chevy blazer. I took the sensor out cleaned it and sanded the ares around where it threads into the hub (was told rust build up under the sensor can cause this problem.put it back on and good to go. use electrical grease before putting it back on.

Dickey457 04-28-2013 04:04 PM

Thanks Forest! I was having the same symptoms with my 2003 Ranger. I pulled the right rear drum off and the self adjusting cable had slipped behind the elbow guide and was jammed. I popped it out and reseated it. Problem solved.:)

Thanks again.