Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts!

Ford Ranger Forum - Forums for Ford Ranger enthusiasts! (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/)
-   General Ford Ranger Discussion (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/)
-   -   What does this light mean? (http://www.fordrangerforum.com/general-ford-ranger-discussion/25401-light-mean.html)

ClintW2003XLT 01-29-2011 11:44 AM

What does this light mean?

I was just driving down the road and the o/d off light started flashing and the trans started shifting funny any ideas on whats happening? Thanks for any and all help.

ben10 01-29-2011 12:03 PM

Re: What does this light mean?

i think that means it went into the protection mode or something, you might have to go to a tranny shop and have em read what code popped.

richarddhoward 01-29-2011 12:11 PM

Get your transmission serviced, although I have had this light pop up on me in some rigs, and it's just some stupid BS. For some reason the transmission won't read the right voltage from something so it kicks into a protection mode and won't let you do anything.

What series of events led up to it? Where you doing anything weird? What were the driving conditions?

brobes600 01-29-2011 12:23 PM

googled it and it not looking to good for u my man. ur trans is bad. something to do with clutch drum in trans. start lookin for a replacement or start pricing out a rebuild bro sorry

rwenzing 01-29-2011 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobes600 (Post 310097)
googled it and it not looking to good for u my man. ur trans is bad. something to do with clutch drum in trans. start lookin for a replacement or start pricing out a rebuild bro sorry

Let's not get ahead of ourselves.

A flashing O/D OFF light simply means that transmission-related trouble code(s) is/are stored in the PCM. It could be something very simple like a speed sensor failure or a solenoid connector or it could be big time transmission trouble. The OP needs to get the code(s) read and interpreted before deciding that the transmission needs replacement or rebuild.

Fordzilla80 01-29-2011 01:02 PM

The O/D Off light when flashing is the trans warning light. When it flashes, it means the computer sensed something wrong with the trans. This light doesn't mean shit. What really matters is the symptoms you're experiencing. The reason your trans starts shifting funny is because your transmission is designed to enter fail safe(limp home) mode whenever the O/D Off light is tripped. All this means is that the transmission starts to put full fluid pressure through the transmission to ensure that the trans does not slip. I would not recommend driving the truck prolonged distances with this light flashing. You will need to take the truck into the trans shop and have the code read, or if you have access to one of those pricey scanners, that will work too. The Autozone scanners will not read Ford trans codes. The code will then tell you the area in which the trans sensed a fault, but it will NOT tell you exactly what is wrong. Once you get the code and the approximate area of where the problem is, you'll need to give us your symptoms so that we can accurately pinpoint the problem. Do not listen to what the trans tech says, as chances are they don't know what is truly going on. Very few trans shops know how to properly diagnose problems on the Ford Ranger Automatics, therefore it is important to do your research.

Brobes, the O/D Off light does not necessarily mean imminent doom. The one thing I always do NOT recommend is searching this problem on Google. Whenever you do that, you will see alot of hate for these transmissions. However, what you need to take into consideration is that out of 1 million+ Rangers built over the years, 400 are having problems according to Google. That's a very small number. Unfortunately, the other 999600 people who are not having problems with their trans do not post on forums, since they have no issues. Therefore Google is in this way an unreliable source of info.

ClintW2003XLT 01-29-2011 02:14 PM

Thanks alot guys i scanned it and it came up with p0741 hopefully yall know what this is

Fordzilla80 01-29-2011 02:58 PM

Torque Convert Clutch Mechanical System.

Okay, this tells us it's within the Torque Converter's function. What are your particular symptoms?

terryduanemiller 01-29-2011 03:36 PM

servicing the trans could solve the problem,, I wld start simple

turbographx 01-29-2011 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by terryduanemiller (Post 310259)
servicing the trans could solve the problem,, I wld start simple

Agree 100%.
Have you ever had the tranny serviced? If so, how long ago. (mile wise)
Have a good service done, (fluid filter flush)
Reset the thing and see how it goes.
If it fixed it GREAT!
If not, all you lost was a service that was prolly over due anyway.

ClintW2003XLT 01-29-2011 05:28 PM

I just got the truck a few months ago so i dont know anything about it but ill probly go get it serviced

Fordzilla80 01-29-2011 05:30 PM

In that case, try and have it serviced. However if the truck has over 80K, do it at your own risk. Some believe that changing the trans fluid at higher mileage when it hasn't been routinely serviced can be detrimental to the life of the transmission. I've never seen proof though.

ClintW2003XLT 01-29-2011 08:10 PM

Ok ill get it serviced this week if it messes up then that just gives me a better reason to put a five speed in it haha

ranger024x4 01-30-2011 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fordzilla80 (Post 310362)
In that case, try and have it serviced. However if the truck has over 80K, do it at your own risk. Some believe that changing the trans fluid at higher mileage when it hasn't been routinely serviced can be detrimental to the life of the transmission. I've never seen proof though.

what kind of proof do you want?

personally, one of my friends put a new torque converter and of couse did a service on his transmission (this happened last year). within 3 weeks the trans was done lol

TerrenceStuart 01-30-2011 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brobes600 (Post 310097)

You must be one of THOSE who buys a new tire just because it's flat.